• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call This Number! [scammers in biz again]

1-866-221-6068

Platinum Publishing Service
    355 Industrial Cir
    White Ciry, OR 97503-1096

It's one of the Track & Field News scam subscription services. Just got it in the mail today. If we all harass them, maybe they'll look for greener pastures. Only works during normal business hours PST.

Re: Call This Number!

thanks, will do. I called the other # somebody listed last month too.

Comment

Interesting - I just got a "Notice of Renewal" from Publishers Services Exchange. Same address, same 1-866 number. They're obviously the same jerks. Wonder how they sleep at night knowing that they prey on naive people like me (and you?)

Comment

>Interesting - I just got a "Notice of Renewal"
        >from Publishers Services Exchange. Same address,
        >same 1-866 number. They're obviously the same
        >jerks. Wonder how they sleep at night knowing
        >that they prey on naive people like me (and you?)

They sleep very well at night. Most con-artists do. That's the publishing industry for you. I can't theink of a subscription I have were I don't get reminders that mine is running out only months after signing up. Why would one expect TAFN to be any different?

Comment

I bet they don't target Time or SI - T&FN just needs nastier lawyers.

Comment

Posted on the front page of our e-Store is a Subscriber Alert. An abbreviated version runs in the magazine many times a year.

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/genera ... alert.html

Subscriber Alert!
            A number of our readers have recently been solicited for subscription renewals by a company called Publishers Services Exchange, operating out of Oregon. This company has been offering 2- and 3-year renewals to Track & Field News at prices below our published subscription rates. Remember the old line about if it sounds too good to be true then it isn't true?

Please be advised:

oT&FN does not have a contract with Publishers Services Exchange to sell subscription renewals. We cannot, therefore, guarantee that your order will be filled.

oT&FN subscription renewal notices are sent out by mail by Track & Field News and payments should be sent to 2570 El Camino Real, Suite 606, Mountain View, CA 94040. The rate for regular periodical class delivery is $82 for 2-year subscriptions and $120 for 3-year subscriptions.

Unfortunately, this isn't the first time we've had this kind of problem, so we should warn you that in the past, rogue agencies, when they find they can't deliver on what they've sold you, will offer a substitute product rather than a refund. Note that you are not required to accept any substitution of the merchandise you originally purchased and can get your money back.

If you pay for merchandise with a credit card and are unable to obtain a refund, your credit card company should assist by crediting your account and issuing a chargeback to the vendor. This can usually be accomplished with a call to your credit card company's toll-free customer service number.
            If you have paid for a product to be delivered through the mail, which you have not received and have been unable to obtain a refund, you may file a complaint with the U.S. Postal Inspection Service Mail Fraud Department, 222 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 1250, Chicago, IL 60606. Call 800-372-8347. You may also file a complaint on-line through their website at www.usps.com/postalinspectors/.

We apologize for any inconvience these unauthorized people may cause some of you. We're doing our best to prevent it from happening, but it's a tough battle.

Comment

<It's one of the Track & Field
              >News scam subscription services. >>

Just to clarify, since Malmo's rejoinder made it sound as if we were teh scammers, these are people who scam us (andy ou), not some dummy company T&FN has invented to fleece the public.

Comment

>I bet they don't target Time or SI - T&FN just
                >needs nastier lawyers.>>

Au contraire, mon frere!!!

http://circman.com/ar/marketing_time_inc_suit/

<<Time Inc. Suit Alleges Sub Agent Trademark Infringement
                By Marybeth Luczak
                Circulation Management, Aug 1, 2002

Time Inc. is suing subscription agent Publishers Services Exchange and owner Dennis Simpson, alleging trademark infringement through “unauthorized and improper” solicitations.

The suit, filed in June in U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, charges that Simpson and PSE have been sending consumers nationwide misleading direct mail subscription order and renewal notices for Time Inc. titles such as Time, Sports Illustrated, People, Fortune, Golf and Popular Science......>>>

Comment

So when Time wins (and you KNOW they will), can't you just piggy-back on to their win?

Comment

><It's one of the Track & Field
                    >News scam
                    >subscription services. >>

Just to clarify,
                    >since Malmo's rejoinder made it sound as if we
                    >were teh scammers, these are people who scam us
                    >(andy ou), not some dummy company T&FN has
                    >invented to fleece the public.

Your cited quote was not from my post. We know you guys aren't con-artists (in spite of the pub you give to Jonathan Gill!)

Comment

speaking of whatever happened to (meaning Mr. Gill)......

edited to clarify my meaning

Comment

After a couple of year's of respite, PSE is at it again, this time posting as Orbital Publishing Group.

Comment

Re: Call This Number! [scammers in biz again]

I received a PSE "renewal" invoice today also. Trashed it.

Comment

This reminds me of a scam letter I got in the mail from someone pretending to be a Canadian Goverment DNS Host organization, telling me I needed to pay $47 or something a year to keep my domain name, which was included in my yearly $39 fee to keep my personal website running.

Comment

was that $47 American or Canadian? (aka $44) :mrgreen:

Comment

Working...
                              X