Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mile AR Attempt For Webb On Saturday

Walt Murphy's News & Results Service is reporting a direct shot at Steve Scott's 3:47.69 from '82.

Brasschaat, Belgium.

Do we know who else will be in the race? Who will be pacemaking? Weather will obviously be a factor. Bon Chance Alain! He'll need to go by 1320 in 2.50 or lower, and after Paris we know he's on track for that. A 3. 46 would be super!

Comment

I hope for the best for Alan. It would be nice to see him accomplish this goal. He could represent American distance running in the purest sense. I hold no ill will for the nationalized runners representing the USA but for records sake it would be nice if Alan had this record instead of say Lagat. Both are fantastic but Alan would truly be the American record holder. (no asterik needed)

Comment

Walt Murphy has a News and Results Service?

Comment

2:49, 57 last lap= 3:46 easy as pie.
          phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
            2:49, 57 last lap= 3:46 easy as pie.
            FWIW, Scott went through in 2:51.5 in his AR/WR attempt.

Just watched the video of that race and caught a piece of trivia I didn't recall. Ray Flynn, Webb's agent, was third in that race and was right with Scott with about 250 to do. Maybe his client will break the record set in a race that he ran.

Comment

AW's training has me confused. When is his peak? What'll he have left in his tank in Osaka? :?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp
                Do we know who else will be in the race? Who will be pacemaking? Weather will obviously be a factor. Bon Chance Alain! He'll need to go by 1320 in 2.50 or lower, and after Paris we know he's on track for that. A 3. 46 would be super!
                Webb is more likely than any other world class 1500m/miler to run fast with no pace maker or competition. His solo 3:51.71 at Drake, months ago also broke a Steve Scott long standing record... But, of course, 3:51.71 is still quite a ways from sub 3:47.69...but then he is is better form now than last spring. I agree that weather may be the most critical factor...can't have much wind and/or rain when you are trying to run that fast.

Comment

Originally posted by George P.
                  AW's training has me confused. When is his peak? What'll he have left in his tank in Osaka? :?
                  The thought of "championship years aren't years for record setting attempts" apparently aren't the thoughts of the Webb camp.

I share your concern. These types of attempts at this stage may leave him struggling. But, then there is the thought of striking while the iron is hot.

I don't know what would be better for US miling - a new AR or a medal.

I would think the chances of an AR are a little better than the chances of a medal, especially gold.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyril

I would think the chances of an AR are a little better than the chances of a medal, especially gold.
                    That's a good question. And since his recent 1500 time was an AR mile equivalent, I'd have to agree. The rounds of Osaka and anything can happen in a race factor are tough.

But isn't Steve Scott more revered than the Bronze Medal winning Spivey?

Comment

If anything, a medal in Osaka would only be good for US 1500 metering 8)
                      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by BYU grad
                        Originally posted by jeremyp
                        Webb is more likely than any other world class 1500m/miler to run fast with no pace maker or competition. His solo 3:51.71 at Drake, months ago also broke a Steve Scott long standing record... But, of course, 3:51.71 is still quite a ways from sub 3:47.69...but then he is is better form now than last spring. I agree that weather may be the most critical factor...can't have much wind and/or rain when you are trying to run that fast.
                        BYU, Alan did have a rabbit take him through about I000 meters at Drake, so it cannot be characterized as a solo effort in that sense. Competition is often not the issue, as Bekele's records have pacemakers, but no real competition.

Comment

I ain't no distance dude, but I sure can see more advantages to an AR attempt than detriments.

a. tells him where he is in his fitness. After a 2:50 1200, how does he feel?
                          b. he knows he has a decent kick this year, so now he must prepare himself for a fast pace that no one will be able to kick off of.
                          c. an AR may not even be his best for the year. He should be preparing for a winning time of 3:28 in Osaka, so that anything less than that would be even more doable.
                          d. running an AR would make his confidence soar, which is a must in Championship racing
                          e. running an AR would work against his opponents psychologically, making them more willing to settle for minor medals, if he takes off in Osaka and the others know he can maintain it.

I don't see a downside. If he 'fails', big whoop - it's a minor meet and the adrenaline wasn't flowing.

Comment

Originally posted by BCBaroo

That's a good question. And since his recent 1500 time was an AR mile equivalent, I'd have to agree. The rounds of Osaka and anything can happen in a race factor are tough.

But isn't Steve Scott more revered than the Bronze Medal winning Spivey?
                            Well, Steve does have a world championship silver to his credit, in addition to the AR, and eight times under 3:50, not to mention 136 sub 4s.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                              I
                              . He should be preparing for a winning time of 3:28 in Osaka.
                              I am willing to bet you 20 to 1 odds that the winning time in Osaka after rounds in a championship race will not be under 3:30 and might even be won in 3:34 with a 25 second last 200. PM me 8)
                              phsstt!

Comment

Working...
                              X