Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kevin Richardson
    For an athlete of his age, I can understand that neither he nor his coach may understand the process for getting clearance in time for the competition. However, if his talent is as promising as it seems, they should both get started on a little homework.

I read in USA Today, sometime last year, that doctors seemed surprised at the number of world class athletes who seemed to have asthma problems (they cited a study of around one third of tested athletes). Whether they really do enhance performance or not, it seems that a few out there are betting on the come that they do.
    I think these must be suburban doctors. The incidence of asthma is amazingly high (and growing) in US cities. For example, I think 1/3 would be a reasonable guess for children on the south side of Chicago. (I apologize, I should provide references, but I don't have time to right now.)

Pat Palmer

Comment

b-agonists like salbutamol, efomoterol,terbutaline, salmeterol etc obviously increase air flow in asthmatics ( measured usually as peak-flow )

i'll try & find some studies as to whether or not they increase peak-flow in non-asthmatics, but convential "book-wisdom" in college was they had virtually no effect in non-asthmatics as their bronchi were already maximally dilated

as for steroid inhalers, those are NOT anabolic steroids - those are glucocorticoids ( beamethasone, fluticasone, mometasone, etc ) - they have anti-inflammatory effect to reduce inflammation in bronchi & improve air-flow in asthmatics - they have NO anabolic properties & in fact are usally performance-dehancing in large doses - they make you put on weight ( blubber not muscle ) & are diabetogenic - long term use of these in too high doses will just bugger up your performance

anabolic steroids are a completely different class of steroids

Comment

Working...
      X