Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lionel Larry....Any word on why he DNF @ Pan Am?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dakota
    The USA do currently have 24 athletes at 45.62 or faster on the 2007 IAAF list....

Going purely on season bests the USA "E Team" at the moment would comprise:

#17 45.38 Bryshon Nellum
    #18 45.40 Joel Stallworth
    #19 45.40 Erison Hurtault
    #20 45.48 Milton Campbell

Tough to see them winning gold but there aren't too many countries with four athletes in the 45.4 range this year. The Bahamas and Jamaica would surely beat them but bronze might not be impossible if they reproduced their best times and nobody else dramatically ripped up the form book. When you consider the next athletes down the list are youngsters with high potential upside in that 20-21 age bracket like Smith, Witherspoon and Summers who knows what would happen if you chucked them together with Nellum. It could be a total disaster or a total revelation. Historically the US does dominate the 400 in terms of depth of performance perhaps more than any other event. I think one Olympic year a preview I read of the event listed the top ten in the world as all being Americans.
    Remember I posited earlier this year that the U.S. could probably win in Osaka jusing a team of 400H guys (although one of them, Taylor, has since become almost as much a 400 guy).

Comment

Well, one of those guys may indeed run the hurdles but the jury is still deliberating whether he can fairly be referred to as a "hurdler" without contravening the trade description law in fifty eight countries!

And some might say sneaking the world #9 all time flat runner and the flat indoor world record holder onto a hurdles team could be construed as conniving, cheating or gamesmanship!

Tough to remember though when last there was ever such a triple threat at both events as Taylor, Clement, and Jackson. Who would be favoured as the fourth guy?

Comment

Guys remember we are talking about Pan AM Games 4x4 here not World Champs. No Taylor, no Wariner and no Merritt and now no Larry..

Now the world champs is a different discussion all together. The US will be at full strength there..

Comment

Originally posted by scorpionking
          Originally posted by nbonaddio
          Originally posted by eldrick
          avard moncur still 'live & kickin' ?

i thought he was put out to pasture about 3y ago :P
          45.51 may be considered "alive", but I don't know about "kicking".
          Remember now that is after rounds and he ran from lane 2 which had to hinder him at his height. Most impressive for him considering his last four races have been very consistent. He did 45.12 to finish second to Chris Brown at nationals. He then ran 45.27 in the first round at this meet followed by 45.41 in the second and then 45.51 in the final.

I suspect that he does have sub 45 in his legs right now minus the rounds but we will have to wait nad see. He has changed coaches this year and its paying dividends..
          Ehh..being a 6'5" quartermiler myself, while I agree the tighter curves do make it a bit more difficult, I don't think it is worth anything more than a tenth. It's a very common and easy excuse for people to make, and it's one that I don't buy.

But yes, you're right, 45.51 is a decent time, and certainly he may be capable of more. I just don't think that the tightness of the track had any significance on the result.

Comment

Psychologically it could be worth a lot more if you have been injured several times before running tight turns as he has...

Comment

Originally posted by dakota
              Well, one of those guys may indeed run the hurdles but the jury is still deliberating whether he can fairly be referred to as a "hurdler" without contravening the trade description law in fifty eight countries!

And some might say sneaking the world #9 all time flat runner and the flat indoor world record holder onto a hurdles team could be construed as conniving, cheating or gamesmanship!

Tough to remember though when last there was ever such a triple threat at both events as Taylor, Clement, and Jackson. Who would be favoured as the fourth guy?
              Here's what I posted back in May in thread titled "Could U.S. win Osaka 4x4 w/ Hurdle Team?":

<<U.S. gets four entries at the WC (cuz Bershawn Jackson is the defending champ). Could the U.S. win the 4x4 gold using just the four hurdlers? Here's last year's top 5 rankers, plus former Oly champ Taylor (*=new PR this year already):

James Carter 46.36
              Michael Tinsley 46.02
              Kenneth Ferguson 45.91*
              Bershawn Jackson 45.37*
              Kerron Clement 44.57
              Angelo Taylor 44.35*

Four fastest--with 2.1 off for three running starts--and you've got 2:58.10. Not quite good enough for gold, perhaps, but thye'd be right in it!>>

Comment

Working...
              X