Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gatlin's "case" [hearing extended]

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/29/sport ... ref=slogin
    In an attempt to become eligible for the 2008 Beijing Olympics, the suspended United States sprinter Justin Gatlin will appeal a possible eight-year doping ban Monday.
    Bad timing: not bloody likely.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................

Comment

If he by any chance chance gets a reduction it will be a black eye for US track field. The international credibility that you guys have strengthened/built up by taking the drug problem in athletics seriously will be severly tarnished. Is it worth it? Well, perhaps a gold would be worth it considering that the general population here does not seem to care (or at least know) if the athletes have previously been suspended for drugs or not...///

you are over analyzing and exagerating. i think they will reduce his ban from the 8 yrs due to "good behavior" and his unwillingness to fight the iaaf and wada rather put his blame on the physiotherapist. i think they will cut it down to 4 and he will be back (maybe) in 2010. dont worry he will never run 9.7 again.

Comment

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...................

Comment

Perhaps, but I could see a reverse Ben Johnson in his case: A serious attempt to come back, but this time on more effective drugs [that we are not screening for yet] and a staff of corrupt scientists/doctors behind him.///

mats settle down dont become paranoid. first he would have to beg to even get a 1/2 reduction of his ban, second he would be tested so often and would be on EVERYONE's microscope, third he has missed so much training and competition in what would have been his peak years (24-26). name one athlete that was suspended for 4 yrs (not 1 1/2 or 2 yrs) that came back and broke the world record.

Comment

Comment

seeing as he ran 19.86 as a raw college boy ( when 19.86 was BIG news ), which is far superior to a 9.95 for a combo 100/200 guy, i see no problem with his relative youth, getting down to < 9.90 for bejiing

time-off may even work in his favor - he's rested his body from heavy track training, but i'm sure he's still done a lot of weights to keep his muscular form

as pointed out, he'll be most tested athlete in history when he comes back ( probably get random tests 2 - 3 times/week for remainder of his career ) - if he recaptures his ole form, then what are posters here going to think about his original conviction ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mats Nilsson
                A serious attempt to come back, but this time on more effective drugs [that we are not screening for yet] and a staff of corrupt scientists/doctors behind him.
                so

are these corrupt drug companies going to wait specifically 'til '10 ( if that's when he's cleared ) before coming up with these
                more effective drugs [that we are not screening for yet]
                just for this 1 specific client, having spent $100,000s on developing these drugs & expect him solely to repay them every cent ?

or, are these drugs around already & i can point to any elite athlete performing well now/past few years & just claim they are all on these "new undetectable drugs" ?

( perhaps i can start with a coupla remarkably short hj'ers who to me, have jumped shockingly high in past few years ??? )

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
                  as pointed out, he'll be most tested athlete in history when he comes back ( probably get random tests 2 - 3 times/week for remainder of his career ) - if he recaptures his ole form, then what are posters here going to think about his original conviction ?
                  It is very unlikely to recapture his old form if he is tested that often. But of course there is always new stuff in the market.

Comment

not sure about how collecting 3 piss-samples/week from an athlete significantly worsens their athletic performance

i go for a piss upwards of maybe 10 times/day for past few years - i'm running as fast then as i am now

Comment

See front page for link to "local" coverage of the case.

Comment

Why is Gatlin in line for an 8 year ban rather than the customary 2 year ban for a first positive?

Justin

Comment

Justin, please help our sport clean up it's act. it is not fear to the clean runners who can't make a living because of the drug cheats. any good performance from justin will be questioned from now on. someone like justin can be a big help in the fight against drug cheats. if the cheats are not stopped, the sport will get worse. we don't want our youths to think that they can't win without performance enhancement drugs. make a difference and hold your head high.

Comment

Are you addressing me or Gatlin?

Justin :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
                              not sure about how collecting 3 piss-samples/week from an athlete significantly worsens their athletic performance

i go for a piss upwards of maybe 10 times/day for past few years - i'm running as fast then as i am now
                              This is right on, and also made me laugh my ass off!!! Great post!!

Comment

Working...
                              X