Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that's taking it to the absolute extreme !!!

2 already pre-selected & the winner of the trials doesn't even go !!!

here's aaa results :

http://www.gbrathletics.com/bc/aaa.htm

elliot a narrow winner over coe

( i think this all explains coe's reaction after winning gold, where he gave the press-box the finger, the v sign & then "mooned" them )

Comment

Nice find - my recollection of the incident is hazy!

Comment

Months between USA trials and world championships

BYU Grad started this thread with a concern about athletes losing form between the nation's selection meet and the international competition for which they qualified in the selection meet.

Worthy of consideration and discussion is the length of that interval between USA selection meet and the related international competition, focusing on the current (2007) pair: USATF meet in June and the World Championships in late August.

Example: an athlete qualifies on June 23 at USATF meet in Indianapolis for an event at Osaka where the first round is on August 25 and the final is on August 27.

Selection meets for many other nations are in late July or early August which might reduce the concern about "losing form."

Comment

Originally posted by Matt
          Eldrick - I think Elliott actually won the 'trials' race (which in those days was the AAA champs). Coe did not compete. Cram (as world champ) and Ovett (WR holder) had been pre-selected already.

Anyone know for sure?
          Yes, that's right. Moreover, IIRC the selectors had specifically said that whoever won would get the third spot, then they went back on their word.

Justin

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Clouder
            Yes, that's right. Moreover, IIRC the selectors had specifically said that whoever won would get the third spot, then they went back on their word
            don't ya just luv it ! :P

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
              Originally posted by Justin Clouder
              Yes, that's right. Moreover, IIRC the selectors had specifically said that whoever won would get the third spot, then they went back on their word
              don't ya just luv it ! :P
              Of course, what comes around goes around. What happened in 1988? I note from that AAA link that Elliott did win the 1500 again, and this time went! But he also ran the Olympic 800 so he must have been preselected for that. I seem to remember he was in contention for a medal before Ereng blew the field apart. That was a great race.

And let's not forget poor Graham Williamson who also got screwed over a few times.

Nevertheless, one discretionary spot seems to make a lot of sense despite all the arguments against it above.

The preselection idea also makes sense since it allowed athetes to prepare for the major event rather than having to focus on the trials.

But for selectors to change the rules and leave Elliott at home was outrageous, especially since Coe had the 800m slot. I think the criticism of Coe in the press at the time was probably fair.

Comment

OK, so imagine your Brit 1500 scenario repeated for the majority of the events, and in many of those events, with more than one person feeling aggrieved. What a horror show that would be.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  OK, so imagine your Brit 1500 scenario repeated for the majority of the events, and in many of those events, with more than one person feeling aggrieved. What a horror show that would be.
                  Free advertising :twisted:

Comment

Most other countries don't have the depth that we have here in the U.S. in many of our events (i.e. sprints, hurdles and some jumps). They can afford to put people on the team because they rarely have 3 good athletes in many events anyway. I think the merit system works just fine for us, we've done very well in the WC's' and the Olympics despite our "flawed" system. With a year like this with a big gap between National Champs and WC's it gives time for the athletes to peak and come to another peak before the meet.

Comment

russians do in the women's events & they have selection for 3rd spot

Comment

Working...
                      X