• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Robison next American 3:50 Miler

>" Krummenacker is the best distance runner in North America."

I agree if
    >Kevin Sullivan retires.

Krummenacker never ran the 1500 in major champs, but his PB is nearly the same as Sullivan's (3:31.71 vs 3:31.93) and more recent (2000 vs 2002).
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Grant Robison and Nick Willis are currently the fastest college runners. Willis is just .20/sec off the Olympic "A" standard. These two runners will probably be battling it out in the NCAA finals.

Robison will probably be NCAA champion.

Comment

Pretty sure that Willis (and Brannen too) is redshirting outdoors to concentrate on Olympic preparation.

Comment

Re: Robison almost as fast as Maree

In order to qualify for the offcial NCAA record, you need to run the time during the NCAA season. While Robison's 3:35 is fast, lots of collegians have run under Maree's time during the summer. Lagat and Lassiter did it, and both Stember and Jennings were close a few years ago.

Track and Field News recognizes Lagat's 3:30 as it's NCAA record.

Comment

The NCAA--unless they started up again when I wasn't looking--no longer recognizes Collegiate Records, just Meet Records made in the Nationals.

If you look at our records section (there's a link right at the top of all these pages) you'll see that we restrict CRs to marks made in a season that ends at Nationals, so Maree's 3:35.30 is the CR as far as we're concerned.

But because there are those who think the season should run through August 31 (as T&FN did for many years), we also append a set of "out of season" records at the end, and there'll you'll find Lagat's 3:30.56 as the absolute best.

Hope that clarifies things for y'all.

Comment

>The NCAA--unless they started up again when I wasn't looking--no longer
              >recognizes Collegiate Records, just Meet Records made in the Nationals.

If
              >you look at our records section (there's a link right at the top of all these
              >pages) you'll see that we restrict CRs to marks made in a season that ends at
              >Nationals, so Maree's 3:35.30 is the CR as far as we're concerned.

But
              >because there are those who think the season should run through August 31 (as
              >T&FN did for many years), we also append a set of "out of season" records at
              >the end, and there'll you'll find Lagat's 3:30.56 as the absolute best.

Hope
              >that clarifies things for y'all.

You should just drop the title "Collegiate Records" and say "NCAA Records." There are colleges outside the NCAA.

Comment

>>" Krummenacker is the best distance runner in North America."

I agree
                >if
                >Kevin Sullivan retires.

Krummenacker never ran the 1500 in major
                >champs, but his PB is nearly the same as Sullivan's (3:31.71 vs 3:31.93) and
                >more recent (2000 vs 2002).>

Great for Krum. When he can get a couple of 5ths at major championships then we'll move him up. For now he's the US' fastest though not necessarily best.

Comment

>You should
                  >just drop the title "Collegiate Records" and >say "NCAA Records." There are
                  >colleges outside the NCAA.

Name one for starters?

Comment

Davidson Ezinwa APU 5.64 50m(i)

Comment

So long as the NAIA doesn't impose the same kind of age-limit rules as the NCAA, it's like comparing apples and oranges. Even if Ezinwa wasn't particularly overaged.

Comment

Re: Robison America's next great miler?

Krunnemaker has already run sub 3:50 if you convert his 1500 times. Maybe some others have too. One problem we have is too many people bashing an not enough corporate sponsors. Nike is only interested if you ALREADY ARE world class. Last I checked you could not invest in Microsoft today at 1990 prices for instant return, but that is what they do with runners. They'll pay millions to Shaq to lumber around a court like the giant he is and shoot under 50% for free throws, but only pay a $1500 bonus to a 3:50 miler and a whopping $25k / year.

Americans love winning - NO MATTER WHAT THE SPORT. This is especially true in the Olympics where Americans love to see us beat the evil foreigners. Many people still know who Frank Shorter and Jim Ryun were. Nobody ever heard of Billy Mills or cared how far a 10K was until the Olympic 10K final, but Americans watched the race and cheered for him. But those guys did not do it overnight.

If there was a support system for these guys after college, we might see some great American distance running. Get a coach and make a training camp that people actually can go to and work out with others of their ability. A corporate sponsor could do all that for fractions of what they pay Shaq.

Distance running is not like B-ball for F-ball. It takes years of aerobic development to become world class. Most US runners just can't do it on their own and that is what they are being asked to do. If running shoe companies (or somebody) would make a long term investment, the US would build some fine distance runners over the years.

DMC

Comment

>So long as the NAIA doesn't impose the same kind of age-limit rules as the
                          >NCAA, it's like comparing apples and oranges. Even if Ezinwa wasn't
                          >particularly overaged.

As different as it may be, colleges in the NAIA are still "colleges" and a "Collegiate Records" section should not exclude a college from its consideration. So, TnFNews, retitle it: NCAA Records. It's more accurate.

Comment

I just hope Robison does not fade away like recent US 3:35 1500meter runners. Robison may not fade away because of his maturity and strong religious beliefs. I think his head is on striagther than Jennings. Besides there has been a trend of successful Mormon US distance runners over the last twenty years.

Comment

I KNOW I WILL MAKE THE TEAM IN THE 800&1500 NEXT YEAR.

1:42........3:33.8

YOU GUYS ALWAYS TALK ABOUT STANFORD.I GOT NEWS FOR ALL U GUYS I DONT THINK ANY OF THEM WILL BE ON THE TEAM BUT U NEVER KNOW.MCMULLEN,,KRUMMENAKER ,,WEB,,MYSELF &OTHERS.

I WILL COMPLETE THE WOLHUTER DOUBLE.

THOSE GUYS HAVE NEVER TAKEN AN 800 OUT FASTER OR IN 49-48-47 THERES NO SPEED.

I WISH ALL OF THEM WELL,THEVE GOT A GREAT COACH,&GAGS IS A GREAT COACXH& PERSON.I THINK ITS GOING TO BE 1984 ALL OVER AGAIN.

Comment

All those who believe RJR will take the 800 out in 47 and make the Olympic team please raise their hands.

Comment

Working...
                                X