Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Mens Marathon Trials Favorites

We are only 2 months away from the US Men's Marathon Trials in Birmingham, AL on Feb 7.

In an early breakdown of the contenders it appears that two groups emerge. The strong contenders for the spots (Favorites) and the Dark Horses.

Favorites include:
    K. Khannouchi
    A. Culpepper
    M. Keflezighi
    D. Browne
    J. Hearld
    R. DeHaven
    K. Dowling

(all have run 2:13 or better in the past 18 months)

Dark Horses include:
    M. Coogan
    R. Shay
    J. Cox
    S. Larson
    T. Mitchell
    S. Strand
    P. Hanneck
    B. Hauser
    K. Baker
    C. Verran
    P. Ce La Cera
    T. Reeser
    J. Jurcevich
    K. Collins

(any of these would need to improve 3 or 4 minutes or more over their most recent performances)

Logic says it should come down to Khannouchi, Culpepper, Keflezighi and Browne racing for three spots but history has shown us that there is usually at least one or more of the dark horses that pull a surprise and have a major impact on the race.

Of the dark horses, I expect Hanneck and Mitchell may still be in contention at 18 to 20 miles.

Should be a interesting race. Given a slight drop in elevation on the opening part of the course and if there is no major wind issue, I'd expect for KK, Meb and Culpepper to keep the pace at an honest 4:55 to 5:00 per mile during the first 10 miles of the race to try and eliminate as many dark horses as possible.

Re: US Mens Marathon Trials Favorites

>Dark
    >Horses include:
    >S. Strand
    >K. Collins

My, it looks like everyone is trying to make the US marathon team. Even Swedish high jumpers and Caribbean sprinters are going for it !!! :-o
    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

What the heck ever happened to Jery Lawson?(former US marathon record holder) I Trained with him a-bit in New Zealand once, but never heard what happened to him. Did he just give up?
      Also I pick an Oregen project clean sweep in the trails.

Comment

There is a Scott Larson with a 2:15 marathon in NYC in 2001 who has a qualifying time but no other Larson has a qualifier for the trials.

Comment

"My, it looks like everyone is trying to make the US marathon team. Even Swedish high jumpers and Caribbean sprinters are going for it !!! :-o"

Powell, hey, maybe everyone has a shot if they just build them an altitude house and get trained by a former Olympian. What is Randy Barnes doing these days?

The sad thing is the qualifying times for the trials. A 2:22 and some change gets you into the trials. We are lucky that a US women doesn't qualify for the men's trials, how embarassing would be for our men marathoners.

Comment

>Also I pick an Oregen project clean
            >sweep in the trails.(sic)
            Is Playstation an Olympic sport?

Comment

>"My, it looks like everyone is trying to make
              >the US marathon team. Even Swedish high jumpers
              >and Caribbean sprinters are going for it !!!
              >:-o"

Powell, hey, maybe everyone has a shot
              >if they just build them an altitude house and get
              >trained by a former Olympian. What is Randy
              >Barnes doing these days?

The sad thing is
              >the qualifying times for the trials. A 2:22 and
              >some change gets you into the trials. We are
              >lucky that a US women doesn't qualify for the
              >men's trials, how embarassing would be for our
              >men marathoners.

deena drossin ran a 221 and change which would qualify her for the mens trials.

Comment

Right you are. I had fogotten about her London time. Do you know of anyother time that has happened? A women getting a qualifying time for the men's trials?

Comment

>Right you are. I had fogotten about her London
                  >time. Do you know of anyother time that has
                  >happened? A women getting a qualifying time for
                  >the men's trials?

i dont know of another women who has qualified for the us mens trials, but look at how bad the situation is in once powerful great britain, i read paula radcliffe has the best marathon time in britain man or women with jon browne who is scheduled to run fukuoka on december 7 the only one in britain who might surpass her time. also for the us i think a darkhorse to make the team is eddy hullybeck he is 43, but just ran a 212 marathon, followed by a 105 half marathon 6 days later, he was the first american in boston in 217 2 days after running a 10k in new orleans, he is consistent, and races a lot.

Comment

He will not make the team unless he has found some better drugs since then

Comment

With KK out of the picture. This race become even more open for the dark horses to try and get in and with the new standards the US should send 3.

Do any participants visit this board, if so please share your insight into what KK's absense means to how the race may develop.

Comment

>>Right you are. I had fogotten about her London
                        >time. Do you know of anyother
                        >time that has
                        >happened? A women getting a qualifying time for
                        >the men's
                        >trials?

i dont know of another women who has qualified for the us mens
                        >trials, but look at how bad the situation is in once powerful great britain, i
                        >read paula radcliffe has the best marathon time in britain man or women with
                        >jon browne who is scheduled to run fukuoka on december 7 the only one in
                        >britain who might surpass her time. also for the us i think a darkhorse to make
                        >the team is eddy hullybeck he is 43, but just ran a 212 marathon, followed by a
                        >105 half marathon 6 days later, he was the first american in boston in 217 2
                        >days after running a 10k in new orleans, he is consistent, and races a lot.

you wanna talk about bad mens running, take a look north of the border. i'm not sure we'd have a single runner qualify for the U.S. Olympic marathon trials. can anyone explain this?

Comment

Canada is probably experiencing similar problems to the USA. Including more competition from oversees, meaning up and comers have a harder time making a living and no recent home-grown success stories to encourage the youngsters.

That and its feaking cold up there. I know, I know, its cold in Norway and Findland and they have produced top runner before.

Comment

Canada is pretty much the same country as America. You would expect them to have similar problems.

Any American who has run under 2:12 in the last few years is pretty much a favorite.

The Trials would be a good place to show the world US marathon running is not dead. Wouldn't it be great if at least a half dozen American's broke 2:12 at the Trials. Without KK there that is going to be quite a feat.

Comment

Eddy will make the team without drugs, he ran 2:12 and won a major marathon. Age is just a number....talent and hard work matter.

Comment

Working...
                              X