X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blaine Newnham's take on Alan Webb...

Here's the veteran sportswriter's thoughts on Alan Webb:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/b ... ham05.html

For the younger set: there was a time when the name Blaine Newnham was somewhat synoymous w/ track: he was the Eugene Register-Guard's lead writer during the end of Bowerman's glory years.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
      For the younger set: there was a time when the name Blaine Newnham was somewhat synoymous w/ track: he was the Eugene Register-Guard's lead writer during the end of Bowerman's glory years.

Grabbed a copy of (I thought?) the Seattle Post-Intelligencer (love that title, even if I may be spelling it incorrectly) while whipping through town in the late 80's and saw he had moved north.

Newnham was quite vocal about over-age Kenyans--especially Chaplin's crew at WSU...any chance this led to him being "asked" to leave or was it simply his choice for a change of scenery? Track & Field had slacked off quite a bit in Eugene after Bowerman retired, Prefontaine died, and Salazar got hurt. Maybe too much for a guy who had seen the glory days...?

Comment

Things have changed since Ryun, acknowledgeing the obvious. If in a nonolympic year Webb at least gets 'niche sport' recognition in MSSM, that's fine with me, because that's the way it is.

Comment

capturing the american public isn't some thing that's gonna happen any time soon...

it's way down the list on interests for 99.99% of americans...

so yearning for the good old days is nice, but hoping for them, well, don't spend too much time

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            Sweet - it is not often that I qualify as a member of the younger set anymore!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              Yes, and wasn't he in the "Fire On the Track" Pre documentary encouraging Pre right after the Munich 5000m race...helping him to see his race in a different light? I thought that was cool!

Comment

Working...
              X