Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gh

I'm on the road sans reference, but I believe Nurmi set records (not necessarily held at same time) at every distance from 1500 through 10K.
    Yes Sir, and that includes - Mile, 2000m, 3000m, 2 miles. Then also, 20000m, one hour run.

As Cordner Nelson wrote "......he ran faster than an excisting world record at least 35 times"

It senseless to say that anybody was greater than Nurmi. We have to leave them in their respective eras.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Andersen
      Originally posted by gh

I'm on the road sans reference, but I believe Nurmi set records (not necessarily held at same time) at every distance from 1500 through 10K.
      Yes Sir, and that includes - Mile, 2000m, 3000m, 2 miles. Then also, 20000m, one hour run.

As Cordner Nelson wrote "......he ran faster than an excisting world record at least 35 times"

It senseless to say that anybody was greater than Nurmi. We have to leave them in their respective eras.
      I agree that comparing across "eras" is very, very difficult and in the end too many highly complicating factors are drawn into any attempt to establish some "algorithm" for comparison. To my mind, the thorniest obstacle stems from the fact that those competing closer to the inception of the sport were establishing records when records were at their "softest". And that last sentence already reeks of comparison across eras! :lol:
      Take good care of yourself.

Comment

With all due respect to Nurmi, the depth of talent and competition is much deeper today than it was back then. Look at the time gaps of a typical race back then, versus now. How much slower is the tenth fastest guy in the world than the fastest guy in the world today, versus back then.

Comment

[quote="jazzcyclist

With all due respect to Nurmi, the depth of talent and competition is much deeper today than it was back then. .[/quote]

I agree but Nurmi did completely dominate his time and what else could he do? But i like the Emperor. I am aware that his personal charm certainly doesnt hurt his rating with me but IF he wins the 26er in China there will be very few who dont rate him no.1
          phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
            With all due respect to Nurmi, the depth of talent and competition is much deeper today than it was back then. Look at the time gaps of a typical race back then, versus now. How much slower is the tenth fastest guy in the world than the fastest guy in the world today, versus back then.
            While this is true, I don't buy this argument in comparing accomplishments of different ages. Most fifth graders today have far greater knowledge database than Aristotle. That does not make them them smarter or greater.
            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
              Originally posted by jazzcyclist
              While this is true, I don't buy this argument in comparing accomplishments of different ages. Most fifth graders today have far greater knowledge database than Aristotle. That does not make them them smarter or greater.
              I'm not comparing Nurmi's times to Geb's times. That would be totally unfair to Nurmi. I'm just saying that it's also unfair to compare Geb's dominance of his era to Nurmi's dominance of his era. Nurmi dominated his era much more thoroughly than Geb, but the depth of his competition was also shallower than Geb's. Does anyone have any doubt that Geb could have been just as dominant in Nurmi's era as Nurmi was?

Comment

Working...
              X