Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women Qualifying For Men's Trial

It was just pointed out on another thread that Deena Drossin, the US leader in the womens marathon, ran a fast enough time earlier this year in the marathon (2:21:16 in London 4/03) to qualify her for the Men's Oly Trials marathon (2:22 "B" standard).

My question is has this ever happened before in the marathon or in any other T&F event?

Given this can't we conclude that the standard is to low (not fast enough) in the men's marathon, especially given that Deena time is over 5 minutes off (over 4%) the womens world record in the event.

Re: Women Qualifying For Men's Trial

>It was just pointed out on another thread that
    >Deena Drossin, the US leader in the womens
    >marathon, ran a fast enough time earlier this
    >year in the marathon (2:21:16 in London 4/03) to
    >qualify her for the Men's Oly Trials marathon
    >(2:22 "B" standard).

My question is has this
    >ever happened before in the marathon or in any
    >other T&F event?

Wouldn't happen in any track or field event because the standards are set with much smaller fields in mind.

>Given this can't we conclude
    >that the standard is to low (not fast enough) in
    >the men's marathon, especially given that Deena
    >time is over 5 minutes off (over 4%) the womens
    >world record in the event.

What would be the purpose of having a faster standard? On the track, you want to have a specified number of rounds, so you set the standard high enough so only that many people qualify. But what purpose would be served by only allowing 30 people into the marathon trials?

As I recall the marathon trials standard used to be set as the 100th best time by an American during the previous year. To set the 400m standard that way would be ridiculous. But for the marathon, a race with 100 or 150 is no problem whatsoever. There is no reason why the prestige of qualifying for the Olympic trials must be the same in every event.

Comment

if you leave it the way it is, it's a good pipedream for a lot of american men and women. a littl e carrot you know?

Comment

Women running marathon with men is a BIG CRIME.

Comment

It was just pointed out on another thread that Deena Drossin, the US leader in the womens marathon, ran a fast enough time earlier this year in the marathon (2:21:16 in London 4/03) to qualify her for the Men's Oly Trials marathon (2:22 "B" standard).

My question is has this ever happened before in the marathon or in any other T&F event?
          /////

her time is excellent and the men's marathon trials standard is way too slow.
          an equivalent time in the women;s 100 would be about 10.80 and that would never get you in the men's field (where the standard would be 10.2)

Comment

Is Deena Drossin going to run in the marathon trials or keep contesting the 10K? Does anybody know?
            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I'm not sure which event Drossin will be running, but it should definitely be the marathon. I mean who in the U.S is going to stop her!

Comment

"Women running marathon with men is a BIG CRIME."

In your own little universe maybe. Go join the fucking Taliban.

Comment

I would like to run in the mens trials too.

Comment

Not anymore women running marathon.

Comment

Working...
                    X