Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Powell
    Originally posted by Dietmar239
    If not, are we going to have another Krymarenko type final?? God, I hope not!! Although, it would be a very nice story to have Thomas go from anonymity to world champ.
    Thomas is the world leader, if he wins in Osaka it won't be a major upset. Krymarenko just jumped out of the nowhere - somewhat like Ulrike Meyfarth in 1972 or Gennadiy Avdeyenko in 1983.
    I agree. I'm just saying I'd rather not see another 2.32m for the win. Gennadiy's mark from 83' was 2.32m by the way. I'm hoping we can 'raise the bar' somewhat from Helsinki's debacle.
    If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

I agree. I'm just saying I'd rather not see another 2.32m for the win. Gennadiy's mark from 83' was 2.32m by the way. I'm hoping we can 'raise the bar' somewhat from Helsinki's debacle.
      I second that. I wouldn't mind seeing a major upset, but I'm hoping whoever wins the title has to clear at least 2.35 to do it.
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

I second that. I wouldn't mind seeing a major upset, but I'm hoping whoever wins the title has to clear at least 2.35 to do it.
        Exactly!
        If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

If not, are we going to have another Krymarenko type final?? God, I hope not!! Although, it would be a very nice story to have Thomas go from anonymity to world champ.
          Thomas is the world leader, if he wins in Osaka it won't be a major upset. Krymarenko just jumped out of the nowhere - somewhat like Ulrike Meyfarth in 1972 or Gennadiy Avdeyenko in 1983.
          If I recall correctly, that 2.32 was almost the last jump of the competition (xxo) and we could have had a sub 2.30 winner (or a bunch of them). :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
            If I recall correctly, that 2.32 was almost the last jump of the competition (xxo)
            Not almost - Krymarenko cleared on his third attempt and he was the last in the jumping order!

and we could have had a sub 2.30 winner (or a bunch of them). :shock:
            2.29, actually. But I believe a couple of guys had no misses up to that height, so there would have been a jump-off, and someone might have gone higher there.

Comment

If I recall correctly, that 2.32 was almost the last jump of the competition (xxo)
              Not almost - Krymarenko cleared on his third attempt and he was the last in the jumping order!

and we could have had a sub 2.30 winner (or a bunch of them). :shock:
              2.29, actually. But I believe a couple of guys had no misses up to that height, so there would have been a jump-off, and someone might have gone higher there.
              "almost" refers to the fact that he got three more jumps - I was pretty sure that he was last in the order.

I think that the winning height would still have been 2.29 (which is sub-2.30), even if someone cleared 2.32 in the jumpoff - that height only counts for record heights etc., not the event mark, iirc.

Comment

I think that the winning height would still have been 2.29 (which is sub-2.30), even if someone cleared 2.32 in the jumpoff - that height only counts for record heights etc., not the event mark, iirc.
                Nope. See http://www2.iaaf.org/athens97/results/data/W/HJ/RF.html ot the Seoul OG women's HJ final results: http://62.232.35.140/athletics-heroes/s ... 1988_w.asp

Comment

Working...
                X