Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robison, 26, IT IS FAIR!!!!

What Robison "gains" in age he "loses" in the fact that he was not able to run at all for basically 2 years (while he was on his mission). Anyone who says it is a disadvantage the rest of the NCAA because he is older has never taken 2 years off. Its ridiculously exceptional that he was able to come back and run as well as he has. Look at Ryun Andrews. Once a stud prep (possible top 10 material in NCAA by the time he was a senior) has never risen to the top since his mission.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Michael

Re: Robison, 26, IT IS FAIR!!!!

Why can't he train and race during his mission.

Painful Dentist -
    Who wants a root canal!

"Running a 4 minute is painful as a root canal.
    Those who can tolerate pain in the dentist chair are also more likely to handle pain on the track better"

Comment

>Why can't he train and race during his
      >mission.

It is some rule in the Mormon Church.

I had a friend at Weber State who went on his mission in England. He was the first who told me about it. It may actually be an unwritten rule, much like the Sunday thing where they are not supposed to do any work. Of course, he is running the Oly Marathon Trials, and obviously would not run well off of six days of training per week. So, he breaks the "rule" and runs on Sundays.

Comment

There goes Robison's 3:50 mile.

Comment

Painful Dentist,

It is because they work literally 15 hours a day and don't have time to do anything but the task at hand. I know runners who have gone and they try for a few weeks and then realize that they physically can not do it. Not enough sleep. Robison has also been quoted as having said so. Isaac Hawkins is another one. How many great Mormon runners are there? Shouldn't they all be dominant since they're so old? ESPECIALLY guys like Hawkins and Andruws, who were prep STUDS? 2 more years and you would think those 2 and Robison would dominate the NCAA. Tunrs out, 2 are MAJOR underachievers and one has overcome the disadvantage.

Comment

Henry Marsh is probably the most successful Mormon runner ever. If I recall he burst on the scene after his 2 year mission to become America's greatest steepler.

Comment

I asked my morman friend about it and he said they are allowed to run. You have to wake up really early in the morning to do it, but it's possible. He said his brother was able to maintain running a couple times per week the entire time.

So it's not like taking 2 years completely off.

Comment

I still believe he has incredible potential. There is no reason he cannot get his time down to at least 3:52.

Where is Seneca Lassiter?

Comment

Lassiter will be missing for 2 years. He's on a Moron Mission

Comment

>What Robison "gains" in age he "loses" in the
                    >fact that he was not able to run at all for
                    >basically 2 years (while he was on his mission).
                    >Anyone who says it is a disadvantage the rest of
                    >the NCAA because he is older has never taken 2
                    >years off. Its ridiculously exceptional that he
                    >was able to come back and run as well as he has.
                    >Look at Ryun Andrews. Once a stud prep
                    >p (possible top 10 material in NCAA by the time
                    >he was a senior) has never risen to the top since
                    >his mission.

He's still closer to his physical peak than his competition is even with a 2 year "break" and that counts for something. Who says that Andrews really aspires like Robison does? Two different people.

Comment

The top "Mormon" (a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) distance runners of recent years are: Henry Marsh, Ed Eyestone, Doug Padilla, and Paul Cummings. Not all good "Mormon" distance runners grduated from BYU, but all four of these guys did.Re: how a two year mission effects distance runners the answer is, "it depends". I have known many runners who go on missions and some come back and do better than ever (as was cited by another poster above re: Henry Marsh), but it is true that some just disapear.I am a distance runner who served a mission and did much better after returning home--so I tend to think the rest from hard training turns out to be a benefit rather than a liability.As long as the person still has that desire to train and compete...

Comment

Re: Robison, 26, US HOPE

With the exception of Krummenacker only Robison has the necessary speed to be a world class 1500 meter runner. Lunn and Berryhill always seem to fade in Europe. Lunn already has lost a place on a world championship team because he could not achieve the qualifying standard.

2003's US sub 3:37 1500 meters runners. This is equivalent to a 3:54 mile.

3:35.15 *David Krummenacker (adi)
                        3:35.75 *Grant Robison (Stan)
                        3:36.68 Bryan Berryhill (adi)
                        3:36.99 Jason Lunn (Nik)
                        The rest are not really worth mentioning.

* achieved new Olympic A standard.

Comment

>With the exception of Krummenacker only Robison
                          >has the necessary speed to be a world class 1500
                          >meter runner. Lunn and Berryhill always seem to
                          >fade in Europe.>

Then how did Berryhill and Lunn run their fastest 1500's in Europe last year? I'm not sure about Lunn but Berryhill's 800 is at least a second better than Robison's.

Comment

Does anyone know how far back a runner's PR can go that is still recognized by the IAAF as the A standard. If a runner ran a 3:35 in 2002 would the IAAF recognize it as the qualiftying standard in 2004.

Comment

You have from Jan. 1st 2003 to qualify for the olympics.

Comment

Working...
                              X