Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Athletic Throwers

I am glad that so many of you stand up for the throws. Norm Balke and the other throwers made some great points. I believe far to many athletes see athletics as many different divisions and not 1 single sport. Many top throwers can so feats of strength and speed that NFL players can only dream of. How many football players can do jump squats with 550lbs, bench 500lbs, vertical jump nearly 40 inches and still manage to run under 11seconds for the 100m? Throwers are athletes to, just in a different body to runners and jumpers. Distance runners are no less athletes than sprinters are if you think about it. Whoever started the thread after Raider and started dissing throwers probably did get stuffed by A thrower after opening his little mouth once too many times. I feel sorry for you mate.

Comment

Re: Athletic Throwers

For what it's worth, after 30+ years in this business, I can state with 100% confidence that the throwers as a whole are the most intelligent, introspective and interesting athletes in the sport.

Comment

Re: New Thrower's forum

>All runners ... Truce please. Just because the
        >throwers are the least athletic in the Track and
        >Field group is no reason to diss them . Like the
        >previous poster noted , many of the throwers were
        >the fat kids in school and the teachers just
        >pushed them in that direction. To each , his own.

This is the dumbest statement I have ever heard in my entire life. You say that throwers are the least athletic in the Track and Field group? Well I love the throwing events. I first started track and field to run the mile. Then i started to throw. I have run a 5:10 mile, 2:15 800m, average under 6 minute miles for the 5k, played and lettered in varsity hockey in 9th grade, and took 4th place in my conference in the discus last year as a 9th grader. Saying that all of the puny little runners and high jumpers and whoeverelse are much more athletic is just plain stupidity. The majority of throwers choose to throw, they are not pushed there by coaches. I would like to see you tell Nelson or Godina that they are the worst athletes on the team. See how far you get and how long it takes for you to piss yourself.

Comment

"Doug Reynolds wrote:

P.S. Why are you guys afraid to post your real names? Afraid people might figure out that you are just Joe Blow from Hackysack High, who's oppinion doesn't amount to sh*t because you have no education, experience, etc. to base it on!"

I agree with you Doug Reynolds , These coward ass
          Throwers from " Hackysack High " opinions amount to shit just like you say. To the Throwers - B , ironhead,big mac iron head, BK , Darkhorse , Thrower, Someone , and Barn . Listen to the wisdom of Doug Reynolds. You cowards have no education , experience ect.

Comment

MENSA I don't know if you noticed it or not but Doug Reynolds is a THROWER, as for the Hackysack High comment he was refering to all the dipshits that came on this topic and tried to bad mouth throwers

Comment

To circle back to where this thread went off track (neither pun intended), throwing events are not at all boring. In fact, I and many of my close friends who are serious track fans would rather watch a throwing event than, say, a 10,000m run or even a 100m dash.

No response needed. This is a personal thing. I don't doubt that the guy who said throws are boring meant it. I pity him for what he is missing because of his limited appreciation of our sport.

Comment

great to hear that the distance runners who are drugged to the hilt would see the throws removed. Lets see; every world class distance runner is drugged up. EPO, GH, good old fashioned steroids. And ofcourse it's the throws that promote drug use. Give me a break! The only reason throwers get picked on is that they don't have any political backing. No throws = no track and field. Have a great day jerk!!!

Comment

boo hoo boby. If throwers need political support to force people to watch them , this is the point all along. Just let the Throws take the natural end as an Olympic event . The Hammer throw is the worst, the poor meet directors either cancel this off the venue of schedule them before the real meet begins. god knows where these cement head will chuck these "ball and chains" with a stadium full of elite runners. I agree with the poster who said , take the throws off meets and give them there own venue.

Comment

>The Hammer throw is the worst, the poor meet directors either cancel this off the venue of schedule them before the real meet begins. god knows where these cement head will chuck these "ball and chains" with a stadium full of elite runners. I agree with the poster who said , take the throws off meets and give them there own venue.

When the cage is utilised properly the hammer will not land more than 2-3m outside the sector. I do agree with you that the hammer is kind of an unpredictable event, but at the same time you have to appreciate seeing a 16lb ball coming down over 80m away!! All throws meets have gained much support with throwers, but at the same time, it is unlikely that all events should be done separately. I do not understand this, since when did the throws ever interfere with the track events? They work with different officials, in a different part of the stadium and provide something else for the spectators to see between races. In short the throws and jumps don't affect the running events in anyway, so why the hell are runners complaining about the throws? Throwers don't diss the running events, maybe because we're more mature. If you have an inferiority complex please shut up about it! This is stupid. God bless.

Comment

Re: A history lesson for Mensa

Let me start by saying to Mensa that I was referring to you and the others who have felt it necessary to criticise throwers when I made the statements about Hackysack High. You seem to have some sort of misguided idea about the future of the throws in Olympic competition. The throws will always remain in Olympic competition. While spectator viewing may continue to put us in jeopardy of losing meet opportunities during the season, the throws tradition in Olympic competition, which is greater than that of distance running, will always be maintained.

Let me clarify:

1. The IOC has set no president for eliminating sports from the OG. On the contrary, the IOC is continually adding to the Olympic schedule with "sports" such as Syncronized Diving and Ballroom Dancing, which will be added in the 2004 games. These events have far lesser viewer appeal than the throws.

2. As you seem to be an athlete from the distance events, you might be interested to know that throwing has a much greater tradition in our sport than distance races do. In ancient Olympia there were four races that were competed. They are:

1 Stade = 192m
                      2 Stade = 384m
                      7 to 24 Stade = 1344m to 4608m
                      2 to 4 Stade Clad w/ Armor

The 7 to 24 Stade race was the only distance race. The distance was determine on the day of the race and the longest possible race is less than a 5k,... which means 5k, 10k, half marathon and marathon did not exist. One half of the races were less than 400m. There were 2 throwing events (discus and javelin) as compared to one distance race. In addition, the 2 to 4 stade race was competed in full armor by only the biggest and strongest athletes, often the best discus and javelin throwers. That, therefore, gives the throws a commanding lead in historical tradition.

3. While we may not have the spectator viewing here in the U.S., throws are greatly appreciated overseas, especially the men's throws. (No offense intended to the ladies. You ladies are awesome to watch!) It's not surprising that the Golden League meets have men's discus next year, but the longest race is 1500m for men. Could it be that races longer than 1500m are to long and do not retain the interest of the spectators throughout the competition?

Now, as I said in my previous post, I have only the greatest respect and admiration for our top distance runners. They put themselves through just as much hell as we do in the pursuit of greatness. I am proud to call many of these guys friends. However, Mensa should use his or her "knowledge" to gain greater understanding of our sport before he or she opens his/her mouth and proves the illegitimacy of that nickname.

Doug Reynolds

Comment

I forgot to mention that the discobolis happens to be the second most iconic symbol of the OG behind the 5 rings. Another tribute to the Olympic tradition of the throwing events.

DR

Comment

The men's shot put competition at the 2000 U.S. Olympic Trials (PRs in the final round by Nelson, Hunter and Bloom) was one of the best competitions I've ever seen - and the crowd was totally into it. Anyone who says the top-level throwers aren't great athletes is ignorant. Matson, Wilkins, Schmidt, Zelezny, Nelson - I could go on and on - are/were ridiculously talented athletes.

Comment

Throws are borrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggggg ggggggggggggggggggggg!

Comment

"Boring" events

An event is only "boring" when the observer is uneducated. As a thrower, I used to think distance races were "boring" until I became a fan of TRACK AND FIELD and began to appreciate the runners' exceptional endurance as well as the complex gameplan used in such a race.

All elite level track and field events are very exciting to watch. Whenever someone refers to a race or event as "boring" I see it as a direct reflection of that individuals ignorance.
                              Ken Kemeny

Comment

throwers vs. runners

i think we all (running fans and throwing fans) need to be rational about this debate. i am a former top-10 collegiate thrower and current high school throws coach. i noticed in high school, *on average* the throwers were indeed less athletic than the rest of the team. but, then again, you must define athletic. however, just simply running a set distance doesn't make anyone "athletic". there's no change-in-direction or hand-eye coordination involved.

in college, especially at the div 1 level, the throwers were certainly just as athletic as any other team member! and honestly, more athletic than most distance runners, simply because they trained to be more athletic, while the runners trained to run as long as possible. two totally different things.

in high school, our best putter was also an all-state footballer and wrestler. so, to say as a whole they are unathletic is a poor judge of the sport and simply ignorant. however, the same goes for runners. we had some runners that were all-state in basketball, making them very athletic. and then we had kids despite running a 10.5 100m dash, would look like a two-year-old on the baskeball court or football field.

so, keep in mind what you mean by "athletic". overall athletic ability involves speed, power, agility, various other factors. so, to say everyone in any given event is "athletic" or "not athletic" is unfair either way.

i coach a shot putter that is 6-2, 260 or so, and is probably in the top 10 as an athlete in his high school, out of 500 males! just because he is a thrower, doesn't make him unathletic! he is one of the best in the area in both football and basketball, the second best in the conference last year in shot, and will be one of the best in the state in shot this year (grin!).

remember, an event doesn't speak for the person (ie, all throwers are fat or all runners are weak) - the person speaks for their event. their will be good and poor athletes in each one, at all levels.

finally, the score is pretty even up till now, but let's take it one step further. what if we took the best in the world in each event and had them play a one-on-one basketball game, run a 40, and run an agility course with a weighted back-pack. based on my experiences, my money is on the elite discus throwers and shot-putters! but, we are only talking ELITE here, not high school! otherwise, my money would be on the sprinters!

keep an open mind...

coach jason

Comment

Working...
                                X