Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: RE: TV Viewer on athleticism

Well, you will certainly have the chance at the Olympics to view it by itself sadly!

Leave a comment:

• bhall
    replied

Don't bother responding to the goofs who say it is boring or are critical for the sake of being critical. They obviously have never seen a great throws competition and wouldn't know one if it hit them in the head.

Off the top of my head- the most exciting event of the 2000 Trials had to be the men's shot final. I still love looking back at those series. Plus it was the rare occassion where the crowd was given the opportunity (mainly a lucky break) to enjoy the shot by itself rather than having it be one ring of a three ring circus.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

<again, ANYTHING - i don't care if it's badmitten, it takes A LOT of skill at the ELITE level!!!>

Interesting sport! But I agree, to play badminton on an international scale, takes great skill, speed and tremendous stamina. Any one who has seen Rudy Hartono, Erland Kops, or any of another top dozen players in action, will agree.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

THROWERS SAY NO MORE!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Throws are bbbbbbbbbbbbooooooooooorrrrrrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnnnngg ggggggggg!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    RE: TV Viewer on athleticism

i am not personally attacking you. i value all opinions and i try to stay as open minded as possible.

however, you are trying to add 1/2 and 2/3, but not using a common denominator! saying "anyone can pick up a shot-put and toss it" is the very same as me saying anyone could run a mile, run back a kick, or sprint a 100m. again, you are comparing apples to hand granades, because high school throwing and nfl kick returners are not exactly in the same catagorie! VERY FEW people could even attempt to perform at the elite level of ANY given sport, e.i. olympic shot-putting or kick returning in the nfl.

you have to clarify at what level you are talking about. sure, anyone can pick up a shot and toss it a few feet. but, how many can make an olympic team like adam nelson, throwing it over 70?!?! just about anyone could catch and run-back a kick-off, but how many could do it like dante hall in the pros?!?!?! NOT MANY in either case. so, does it take a lot of skill to toss a shot or kick-return - NOPE! does it take a lot of skill to do either one of them at an elite level - YEP!!!!

again, ANYTHING - i don't care if it's badmitten, it takes A LOT of skill at the ELITE level!!! so, my point is that you can't compare some kid in high school tossing a shot, to a professional kick-returner!!!

now, if you want to talk about making the track team in high school vs. making the football team in high school, that's a different story. admittedly, track is on the very back burner in high school sports, throws are WAY on the back, if not off the stove. therefore, nearly anyone could make a track team, let alone toss a shot a few feet. but, not many could start and return kicks on the football team. HOWEVER, to excel at either position (all-conference or state) takes a very good amount of skill.

to make a rational and effective point, you need to find a common denominator. with sports, it's the level of competition.

coach jason

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: New Thrower's forum

>There different types of greatness, different types of athleticism and different types of effort. Everyday I'm amazed by the individual effort it takes to excel in athletics. Ultimately, no track and field athlete is training to be a great all-around athlete, but instead training to master their specific discipline. It requires a lot of focus and dedication and perservance to make an Olympic team. It, also, requires a lot of talent and discipline.

Beautifully put from someone who knows more than enough about track and field to give his opinion. I do however find Johnsons arrogance very off putting. I love it that throwers never go out and put down the other events, they are content and possibly more focused(than the complainers) to have that mindset. Each athlete has an individual desire and passion to do their event, what other athletes think should not matter!!!! I think any more comments would just play straight into the hands of the now few people dissing the throws, so throwers step outside maybe.

Adam, maybe change your email to [email protected] ?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Clarly Mensa has nothing what so ever to do with the high IQ Mensa organization. That group should sue him for mis-use of the name as equally clearly, his knowledge of this subject is at the bottom rather than the top of the I.Q. list. It is interesting so view the rants of the uneducated in this field.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

Man, I'm thinking I'm not messing with A. N. Good reply! Perhaps gh was right in his assessment of your mentality - I never would have thunk it.

Leave a comment:

• satch400
    replied

Satch he digs the throws,

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Someone posted something about why throwers always defend themselves by making threatening statements. I imagine, it's because they can. Not that it makes it right, but there may be some truth to their assertions. Maybe their responses are a little stereotypical, but then again so were mensas.

I guess it bothers me that some people are so myopic. How small is your world? Open you eyes and see all the people on the track and inside the track for what they are. There different types of greatness, different types of athleticism and different types of effort. Everyday I'm amazed by the individual effort it takes to excel in athletics. Ultimately, no track and field athlete is training to be a great all-around athlete, but instead training to master their specific discipline. It requires a lot of focus and dedication and perservance to make an Olympic team. It, also, requires a lot of talent and discipline. Though some elite athletes may grow frustrated with the lack of parity in pay scales and coverage and so on, few elite athletes claim to be superior athletes to their peers regardless of the event. Those who do are, in general, the ones who could never quite make it to the top. Embittered by their lack of achievements, they strike out at the ones who do achieve greatness in events they consider to be of lesser stature.

Mensa, you need to let it go. You'll be much happier. If you really want to be upset by someone, read what the "great" Michael Johnson said about track. I'm paraphrasing here, but it went something like this:
    Frankly, I don't think anyone enjoys track meets because there are to many obscure races and events. Fans only come to see the sprints. It's my opinion that anything over 1500m should be run on the streets and all the throws need to just disappear. Nobody likes to watch any of those events anyway. Noone can relate to them.

Anyway, that was basically the jist of it. It frustrated the hell out of me at the time, but that's the problem with our sport. Everyone is so concerned with promoting themselves, they forget to promote the whole sport. That'll be the death of track and field. Then, you'll have nothing but road races left, and I'll have to go find a real job.

In closing, I'd just like to add that as one of those fat, unathletic, and otherwise repulsive throwers, I can take some solace in the fact that I've got a box full of medals that may prove you wrong. Oh, and I graduated from a little school by the name of Dartmouth, but I'm sure than none of that means anything to you Mr. Mensa ;b

Happy Training or Complaining,
    Adam Nelson

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Throws are boooooooriiiiiiiiiinnnnnnggggggggg

Leave a comment:

• stevehj197
    replied

I have been out of town for 6 days and just got home and read through this thread.

Very sad and very depressing. I never saw so much immature childish ranting by a bunch of jerks in my life.

CHILREN GROW UP
    ACT LIKE ADULTS AND SHOW RESPECT FOR OTHERS

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

The fact that the Throwers here have a need to tell people how athletic they are seems to be the point of " mensa" . If you watch a football game ,it seems clear you need the athletic ability to catch a ball , run back a kick et. As the high school coach stated , anyone in high school can pick up a shot and toss it because there is little skill involved . Why does it always degrade to the "large " throwers need to use the argument of "shoveing' something up your ass , or " must have been beaten up in high school. " I do see mensa's point about the stereo type "big dumb dumb " athlete , and it is well demonstrated here.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Thank you Coach Jason!!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X