Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Track and Field News World Rankings

When asking others to explain...maybe you should be the one explaining...I posted to see if as usual you would respond and not answer the question...Atleast the IAAF has written criteria and sometimes it may be unfair as it gives unfair advantage to European athletes with national championship points area championships for athletes that would not even qualify for the US National meet. But, how can you explain rankings that include athletes of the PAST with terrible points this year and also rank Haifeng Qi in the Decathlon whose NC Hept was 5287 his NC Dec was 7503 granted he placed 7 th in WC. But to exclude Paul Terek ( 6th best DEC in the World 2003 )8275 in USA Nationals and 2003 Indoor National Hept , Steve Moore Not allowed at WC because 8000 pt In USA Nationals only got him to Pan AM which he won...And how about Nick Hysong ranked 6th in IAAF with standards and not on your list...........Seems Politics were not only in France but CA also....

Comment

>>>>hey lefteriqis,

I know that why you are
      >>not >so >delighted for that Albanian born >girl
      >>Mirela >Manjani which recently with >66.52m gave
      >>to >greek's team and to greece the >biggest
      >>victory >and the only gold medal in >"Paris
      >>2003" WC. >ALBANIA always beat your >ass in
      >>greece and >everywhere. You know what I >am
      >>saying?

Tony

No clue. Do you have a >bad
      >>day today?

Tony Has Always Great Days
      >mr.
      >lefteriqis???

So, what's all that about? You
      >sound bitter.
      Everyone who follows Track and
      >Field in detail knows that Ms Manjiani is indeed
      >Albanian born. Albanians should very proud of
      >her. Greeks should be very proud of her too. The
      >whole planet should be very proud of her for that
      >matter or of anyone who accomplishes greatness
      >with hard work and persistence.
      Nevertheless,
      >keep in mind that it is Ms Manjiani who after her
      >victory grabbed a Greek flag (and only a Greek
      >flag) and was going around the stadium
      >celebrating. Since I am born Greek, that indeed
      >made me a little more happy and proud than the
      >rest of the planet.
      Did you see her holding an
      >Albanian flag? I personally think she should and
      >she should remember her roots more often in
      >general.
      By the way, part of my family is also
      >Albanian (and Turkish and some type of Greek I
      >guess). Are you Albanian?
      Finally I don't
      >appreciate (not to mention understand) you
      >comments about "ALBANIA always beat your ass".
      >"Den kolaei pouthena" as we say in Greek.
      >Albanians and Greeks are brothers,
      >brother.

Cheers

One more thing lefteriqis,

You greeks in greece know how to screw everyone everywhere in the world but, not ME. Does't matter that where I am from we never be brothers together. catalavena???

Tony

Comment

Page 13 of the December issue lists the criteria and who did the rankings. It seems very clear to me and most readers. Anyone can quibble with some placings, but the expertise is unquestionable. If you don't like it, feel free to consult the IAAF rankings.

Comment

No need to get so defensive all , if an American Magazine needs to create a subjective formula to get more Americans' in the list let it go. I think all would agree that TNF News ranking list is not accepted as an official list across the world because of the subjectivity , it is there as editorial content of a magazine. TNF news does have an expert panel selecting the list , If they don't like the results they can have the option of finding someone else to select the rankings.

Comment

"I think all would agree that TNF News ranking list is not accepted as an official list across the world"

Actually it IS the most accepted rankings in the world. Having spent 20 years in the Navy flying all over the world and always inquiring into the host country's attitude about 'athletics' - England, France, Germany (East and West and unified), Italy, Norway, Sweden, Spain, Greece, Russia - not Japan or China - I was surprised to discover the influence T&FN wields. Although most view it as 'American' they all said it was much less 'homer' than their own publications.

Comment

Please explain why an Italian, a Brit, a Turk and a Canadian (more than 50% of the panel) are biased towards the U.S. Oh, I've got it, must be the big bucks! :-)
              <<<<

HAHAHA
              it must be from all those huge 44 $/ yr subscriptions !
              all in all i thought that the rankings were fair and they usually are every year despite the fact the process is somewhat subjective and requires the panel to make decisions based on facts.

Comment

<<<By the way, part of my family is also Albanian (and Turkish and some type of Greek I guess). Are you Albanian?<<<

what's up guys with the bickering (tony and lefteris) you sound like greeks and turks barking at each other.
                manjani being originally from albania is nothing compared to stephen cherono becoming qatari after the arab gulf nation promised him a lifetime pension of 1000 $/mo. that should be scorned more than anything else.

Comment

I did consult the IAAF. The question is how could Lev Lobidin who only completed 1 decathlon in 2003 could be ranked 8th, Tom Dvorak who only completed 1 Dec in 2003 and 0 dec's in 2002 be ranked in 2003. Granted they "were" deserving in the past. If you use the logic they finished the WC then explain Brian Clay who didn't. I believe Clay is worthy of atleast 5th. But, Dvorak,Lobidin, and Qi would not have even qualified for the US outdoors Stephen Moore is being Cheated Kip Janvrin and Steve Harris had better credentials than QI. Am I pro US, but look at the lists. They deserve it...

Comment

All shoe companies use the Track and Field News rankings for their bonus/penalty clauses in athletes' contracts.

Comment

Yes I seen situations were some athletes not ranked in top five in the U.S. get 20% deducted from their contract

Comment

The Euro's don't give a rats ass where an American Magazine ranks its own athletes. Do you believe asics,mizuno, adidas , fila et are waiting for the year end ranking issue.

Comment

> The Euro's don't give a rats ass where an American Magazine ranks its own athletes.

What Euro are you talking about? I used to live there for many years and I still meet people who have never read Track&Field News but who knows about the rankings and they take it seriously. The rankings are often quoted in all kinds of serious newspapers if T&F should be the topic.
                          If you think these rankings go unnoticed you are deluding yourself.

Comment

One more thing
                            >lefteriqis,

You greeks in greece know how to
                            >screw everyone everywhere in the world but, not
                            >ME. Does't matter that where I am from we never
                            >be brothers together. catalavena???

Where does all this hate come from? Learn not to hate. It hasn't helped anyone. It won't help your self neither.

Comment

BS-I happen to know for a fact that "all" shoe companies use our rankings for their bonuses and such. I have friends who are the European heads of Nike, adidas and Puma track & field, and all eagerly await our rankings for use in their contract negotiations/bonuses.

Comment

If your response had to list nationalities....why couldn't you address thier event experience....

Please explain how decathletes Lobin and Dvorak can be ranked when they did not complete but one DEC THIS year.And how Haifeng Qi ( Indoor NC won w/5287 his outdoor NC won with 7503..Terek's 9event WC was higher than that...)can be ranked above Stephen Moore who although placed 4th at USATF Outdoors w/ abt 8000pts and won Pan AM's..

Ranking Brian Clay 5th (USATF Outdoors 2nd, 1st at UCBerkley...4th Best DEC score in World) which I agree he is one of the top DECA's But using your "standards" how then does Terek (1st USATF Indoor, placing in USATF indoor PV, 3rd Multistars, 3rd USATF Outdoors w/ 6th best DEC score in World this year..Placed 6th in IAAF WCE challenge (top 3 scores at elite meets) not rank in top 10??????

Comment

Working...
                                X