Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Track and Field News World Rankings

"BS-I happen to know for a fact that "all" shoe companies use our rankings for their bonuses and such. I have friends who are the European heads of Nike, adidas and Puma track & field, and all eagerly await our rankings for use in their contract negotiations/bonuses."

I am a tech rep for Reebok Canada. You are a very stubborn man . Not "all" shoe companies use your TFN ranking list . Some do , some don't.
    Each athlete has specific formula's concerning performance, public profile and the like . Please don't give us this crap that you personally have read every single pro Track athlete in the world
    contracts , and "all" use your ranking list. This is simply hogwash.

Comment

First of all, being a "tech rep" for "Reebok Canada" doesn't make you an expert. I too work with athletes and actually my job is to negotiate their shoe/sponsorship contracts. I can also confirm that up to now, all the major shoe companies have used the T&FN final year rankings on their bonus schedule.
      If Reebok doesn't use T&FN rankings that's fine, but adidas,nike,puma, asics and others have and do. As far as I know, only now Reebok is trying to get back into running. They actually had given up its sponsorship of the sport at the highest level for a while (year or two).

Quit your griping and don't take it out on other people if you have to spend endless hours driving across the country searching for the "Hungry Moose Lodge" to meet up with some geeks to sell your new racing flat.

Comment

"Quit your griping and don't take it out on other people if you have to spend endless hours driving across the country searching for the "Hungry Moose Lodge" to meet up with some geeks to sell your new racing flat. "

THAT may make my top-ten funniest posts of the year.

Comment

Being a representative of Reebok automatically reduces your credibility to zero. Why? Because your company completely abandoned the sport in the late '90s and early '00s. How about your company actually support the sport again for longer than 6 months before spouting off your foolishness.

Comment

>I am a tech rep for Reebok Canada.
            >You are a very stubborn man . Not "all" shoe companies use your TFN ranking
            >list . Some do , some don't.
            Each athlete has specific formula's concerning
            >performance, public profile and the like . Please don't give us this crap that
            >you personally have read every single pro Track athlete in the world
            contracts
            >, and "all" use your ranking list. This is simply hogwash.

How many of your athletes are top 10 in the world or even have a chance to get there? There are only 3 in total this year. I wonder how many are Reebock athletes. Pretty sure Boswell and Cummins are Nike so that leaves Felicien.

Comment

Steve Lactic, How does an athlete go about acquiring your services?

Comment

"I can also confirm that up to now, all the major shoe companies have used the T&FN final year rankings on their bonus schedule.
                If Reebok doesn't use T&FN rankings that's fine, but adidas,nike,puma, asics and others have and do. As far as I know, only now Reebok is trying to get back into running. They actually had given up its sponsorship of the sport at the highest level for a while (year or two). "

Tech rep is correct, stop back tracking and name calling. Not "all" shoe companies use the TFN rackings as stated. Have you read every single contract in the world . Saying "as far as you know" does not mean you know for a fact. As far as I know , your another person pretending to be a "know it all". Take care stubborn old man.

Comment

Reebok Canada-Thanks for your contribution. I didn't mean to come off as all-knowing. That's why I wrote "all" in parentheses. No, I haven't seen every athlete's contract, but I know that for the very top athletes in the world, at least those who are with Puma, Nike and adidas (making up a large majority of the world's athletes), our rankings are used for bonuses and such.

I am glad that Reebok is starting to sponsor more athletes. It can only be good for the sport.

I also did not write that our rankings are the ONLY consideration for bonuses and such. Of course not. Olympic and World Champs medals, world records, etc, are also used. I was simply replying to a previous poster who claimed that no one outside the U.S. cared about our rankings. That is simply not true.

Comment

To Reebok Canada (and mensa): thinking about it, I apologize for the personal attack. I can admit that I went overboard. Given that the T&FN message board is here to give us an intelligent outlet for Athletics enthusiasts and not solely a board for put-downs or slandering, I should have reacted differently, however, what gets me at times as how people can so easily attack someone (or the mag) for an example that, generally speaking, holds true...But I see your point.

I can tell you that some of the world's top athletes had called me in these days, excited to find out how they ranked. One guy is actually a #1 this year in his event and although the monetary difference with his bonus for 1st and 2nd was not that great, he just wanted to know if he'd be considered a number one by T&FN.
                    This meant and means more to him than the IAAF ranking, which is based more on times and a complicated points system.

As he told me, "Like a medal from a major championships, a #1 ranking stays with you forever..."

Comment

Working...
                    X