Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAGAT!! WHAT A DUDE!!

The first Olympic or World Championship at 1500 by ANY American in 99 years!! :!:

Phenomenal personal achievement too, since he never had won gold at any OG or WC and he's is now 32!!

The only possible downside is the fact that the Kenyans wouldnt exempt him from the 3-year waiting period---he could have already had numerous competitions for his beloved new country by now!! :wink:

BTW, I read in USA Today that Bernard now lives in Arizona...anyone here know which city? Phoenix? Tucson? Tempe? Just curious, since I am a "zonie" too!!

Yes, congratulations to America for breaking her long drought of international sporting success.

Comment

Originally posted by dakota
      Yes, congratulations to America for breaking her long drought of international sporting success.
      Thanks! To me the fact that it was won by someone who is American by choice, not by coincidence of birth. makes it even MORE special!!

Comment

Re: LAGAT!! WHAT A DUDE!!

Originally posted by CrunchTime
        I read in USA Today that Bernard now lives in Arizona...anyone here know which city? Phoenix? Tucson? Tempe? Just curious, since I am a "zonie" too!!
        Tucson.

http://www.usatf.org/athletes/bios/Lagat_Bernard.asp
        https://twitter.com/walnuthillstrak

Comment

he's a kenyan

i'm claiming that one as a kenyan win

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
            he's a kenyan

i'm claiming that one as a kenyan win

So I can assume if Richards wins the women's 200 you will claim that as a Jamaican win?
            https://twitter.com/walnuthillstrak

Comment

i'm not jamaican, but i don't see it stopping the jamas doing so ( same with linford & donovan & lennox lewis in boxing )

- kerron as a trinidadian

- marion as a belizean

- felix sanchez ( born ?new york ) actually formalised his transfer to dominica as that way he'd never have to contest the nightmare american trials - similar to qatari/bahrain situation of buying kenyans - ensuring more elite in global finals from the + point

Comment

At the risk of splitting hairs, and being a fan of most things eldrick has to share, aren't national boundaries fairly arbitrary? So what if someone is Kenyan by birth, American by choice, and wins. It is not as if Lagat switched team allegiances in the off season. He went through the rather laborious process of changing his citizenship. That is more than simply changing vests.

If we are to follow the line of thought that his nation of birth is something which will follow him througout his life, serving as a way of identifying him, I argue that it is a fairly thin construct.

Of course, respectfully, this is the opinion of a proud American enjoying the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by CrunchTime
                  Originally posted by dakota
                  Thanks! To me the fact that it was won by someone who is American by choice, not by coincidence of birth. makes it even MORE special!!
                  I think Dakota was being facetious. You neglected to specify that you were referring to America's drought in the 1500m. We've actually won a few Golds in some other events and sports in recent years :lol:

Comment

I see Eldys point BUT Bernie has been living in Merica fer a long, long time and if da fast food doesnt kill you after 10 years you are a U.S.A. Merican.

We are a nation of the world too boot. If Mr. Lagat had lived in Zona fer a couple of weeks then i see a problem.

Bernie is so happy and proud about his new country and i am happy for him, Even with the "big eye thing" he does at the finish.

P.S. i see nothin wrong with Kenyans celebrating his win also. Or people from Lithuiania for that matter. 8)

P.P.S. Hey Bekele brothers come on over, we have Disneyland and a lot of other cool stuff.
                    phsstt!

Comment

I don't get it...shouldn't it be that winning an athletic event represents the pride strenght of the athlete nation. I thought that was what athletics were all about especially in the global championships. For example, that athlete who won gold and the only medal for Cyprus truly lift the pride of that nation.
                      One Love!!!

Comment

I am a big Lagat fan too.

Hey Bekele boys we have Tim Horton's and...and mounties and.... 8) The winters are a bit of a bitch but hey it will build some of the character you need to win on the big stage.

Not sure if I shared this before but a few years ago we ran into an old friend of ours in Vancouver. She knew we kinda liked the sport and casually mentioned that she had a runner named Bernie stay at her house the other week as he was in town for a wedding. We thought ...Bernie? Bernie who? She then said well he is from Kenyan and I think he is pretty good. That's when hubby and I both shouted-"Bernard Lagat stayed at your house and you didnt call us"? :shock: :lol:
                        She said he was the most gracious and polite house guest one could have and was enchanted with her rose garden .....yay Bernie!

Comment

Hey Mojo if you get a chance check out Lagats interview on the home page. Ive never seen anyone more likeable except you of course.
                          phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                            Hey Mojo if you get a chance check out Lagats interview on the home page. Ive never seen anyone more likeable except you of course.
                            Off to read it. Thanks for the heads up.

(nice way to start the day too-thanks... you!)

Comment

If you mean that video I can't get it to work.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎