• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webb to race at Nats

Entry list here:

http://www.usatf.org/events/2003/USATFC ... atus.shtml

Re: Webb to race at Nats

Good for him! With all the pressure he's under he's got guts for competing in a race where he has little chance of winning. Hopefully it'll pay off in track.

Comment

>Hopefully it'll pay
      >off in track.

You realize that a quick off the cuff remark like that could lead to about a 100 plus message thread about whether or not he should even be running cross and whether it will help him(I'm yes to both btw).

Comment

Good Luck Alan Webb. He will most likely finish somewhere in the top five. Obviously, he is doing the race for pre-conditioning for the Olympic trials .

Will Webb revisit the 3:53 mile next year. Stay tuned......

John Gregorek(3:51.34 82pr) used to run these kind of races and it prepared him for the spring track season. Gregorek was a very fast 5k and 3k runner who was in good of enough condition to run a 3:51 mile. Maybe Webb will get this same kind of conditioning and run a fast mile at the Prefontaine classic. That seems to be the place where he runs well.

Comment

Assuming he's run this distance at least once, somewhere on a road or track. Anyone know, times?

Comment

>Assuming he's run this distance at least once, somewhere on a road or track.
            >Anyone know, times?

Twice during his freshman XC season at Michigan. Took 2nd at the NCAA Great Lakes XC Regional to Boaz Cheboiywo of Eastern Michigan in a time of 30:36.7. He then took 11th at the NCAA XC Championships in a time of 29:38.

Comment

Sounds like he could go much faster. I find myself cheering him on, because of all the toxic vitriol coming from so many disappointed people. Like he owes them anything anyway.

Comment

Based on his result at the Manchester Road Race, I think Webb will come top 3 at Nats and will run a 3:48 mile at the Pre classic this year. Baboomm!!

Comment

Maybe this shows the value of college cross country and the mistake that *fall track* can be for some middle distance runners. If I recall correctly, Steve Scott was a pretty good cross guy.

Comment

Wasn't this exactly what he left college to get away from?

Comment

>Wasn't this exactly what he left college to get away from?

I was under the impression he left Michigan to avoid overtraining and overracing.

Let's see its December, how many races has he run so far this year? How many serious races? How many races would he have had to run by this time if he was in the NCAA schedule?

He left so he can focus on doing what is best for AW and AW's chances at becoming a miler - not what is best for Michigan's programs.

Comment

Working...
                      X