• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tafnut
    • Oct 2005
    • Lost at C (-minus)

Re: AOY Sanchez? You must be joking!

I'm totally down with Sanchez! El G's biggest problem is that he doesn't measure up to El G any more. Had he won the 5K, I'd have voted for him, but he didn't! Hurray for the American-trained DR guy made good.

Comment

Learn to count, maybe you need to learn how to read, as I never said he had two wins. By the way aren't you suppose to be out playing during recess? Give your teacher a break and go outside and play with the other kids.

Comment

What the hells with you and calling people babies. The way I see it your the one cryin for your mommy

Comment

• RMc
          • Oct 2005
          • Davis, CA

I think it was quite close among the top 6 male athletes this year, and I don't think El G deserved to even be 2nd. While he had a good year, it was not as stellar as his previous years. Sanchez on the other hand ran one of the fastest times ever while blowing everyone away and being competitive in the flat as well. His honors won and willingness to compete under all conditions marks him as AOY. El G spent too much time hiding from competition this year.

Comment

What ya mean El G hid from all the competition this year. He raced the Pre classic, the world championships and numerous goldenleague race. The competition was hiding from him!!!!!!!!

Comment

• RMc
              • Oct 2005
              • Davis, CA

>What ya mean El G hid from all the competition this year. He raced the Pre
              >classic, the world championships and numerous goldenleague race. The
              >competition was hiding from him!!!!!!!!

He didn't run Pre this year. El G ran only three of the GL races, and few other GP races. He didn't run the GP final. A pretty cush schedule this year vs. his past years.

Comment

• michael lewis
                • Oct 2005

Have I missed out on a fad? Is Neo-anderthalism in or what? I mean, do some of these posters sit at their keyboard with a stone?

Comment

Not a stone, I have progressed to a rock!

Comment

felix is one of the few things that i think they got right

Comment

I havn't got my snail mail issue yet, just the eTN listing, thus no analysis. One thing about the AOY to remember, it is a vote, not an analysis as are the event rankings. Sometimes voters have blind spots. I used to be on the panel and one year I left Louise Ritter off the US AOY list. Gary said nfg, and I rechecked. I had been basing my votes upon World Rankings and all time world marks, but Louise had a superb season in the US context, and I modified. The postings here seem to have degenerated into a bit of a pissing contest. Too bad.

Comment

It's all subjective. Stop whining about it. You think El G is worried about it? Bekele? Any of the other guys who might have been in there, based on subjective reasoning?

Comment

There still seems to be some negative stigma attached to the 'subjective' rankings. Until such time as computer programmers come up with a holistic approach to problem solving, a human consensus will be the BEST solution. Numerical analyses like the IAAF's never get it right, except in the rare cases where an athlete is so dominant there is no question (a Guevera or Sanchez). Here's their 100 top 10:

1. (1.) Kim COLLINS 76 SKN 1347
                          2. (2.) Justin GATLIN 82 USA 1343
                          3. (3.) Bernard WILLIAMS 78 USA 1340
                          4. (4.) Deji ALIU 75 NGR 1325
                          5. (5.) John CAPEL 78 USA 1323
                          6. (6.) Dwain CHAMBERS 78 GBR 1320
                          7. (7.) Mark LEWIS-FRANCIS 82 GBR 1282
                          8. (8.) Maurice GREENE 74 USA 1281
                          8. (8.) Uchenna EMEDOLU 76 NGR 1281
                          10. (10.) Darrel BROWN 84 TRI 1275

Now look at the T&FN rankings (assuming you are an eTN receiver, which you SHOULD be!). See the difference for the better? Hurray for Collins' great WC win, but he is not/should not be the #1 ranked 100 runner in the world. Maybe this year?

Comment

I don't mind if the rankings arn't to my liking (I though El G should have been #1), but I do have a problem with voters being SO far off base in thier voting. For example, 5 voters put El G 5th or lower, while 3 did for Sanchez.

For the women, 3 voters put Motola 5th!! One put Kluft 8th?

How does T&F management "manage" the voters, to be sure they are actually paying attention (I realize they are - it just doesn't appear that way).

I other words, if a voter places Mutola 10th, is that just "their opinion"? I don't care if I agree with the voting, but it appears that some of the voters either arn't paying attention, have a bias against certain events, or are just plain loopy.

Comment

GH reserves the right to reject any ballot that appears unrealistic.

Comment

>GH reserves the right to reject any ballot that appears unrealistic.>>

Not true; it's the sum total of the balloting by the rest of the panel that determines whether or not there's a bad ballot. Baseball does the same thing for Hall of Fame.

Comment

Working...
                                X