Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of winds in Skåne, Malmö is the only city I have been to where you can walk around a whole block and have the wind against you the entire way... :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by LopenUupunut
      Also I think that California is a very good place for discus throwing, not so much based on Americans' or Estonians' many good results there (although they too are pretty telling) as this, from Salinas this year:
      2 Niklas Arrhenius SWE 10.9.82 65.77 PB
      I remember him as a 59m guy in normal wind conditions...
      I might credit third place to Skåne but no better.
      59m-guy? Niklas first threw 59 at age 18 when taking the World Juniors silver in 2000 (of course not 1980!). This year he has had 12 competitions over 62m on 10 different locations spread over four US states and three European nations. E.g he won the NCAA championships with 62.84.

Comment

Originally posted by miguel
        The wind won't necessary decide the winner but certainly will affect the results. Shouldn't there be an "w" for DT as well?
        This was discussed in fascinating depth earlier in the year - can't recall the context of the thread but it was certainly an education!

The answer to your question about w discus marks is that it takes great skill to take advantage of a favourable quartering wind in the DT whereas a wind helps a sprinter whatever they do. Using the wind is a part of the event in the DT. IIRC!

Justin

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Clouder
          Originally posted by miguel
          The wind won't necessary decide the winner but certainly will affect the results. Shouldn't there be an "w" for DT as well?

This was discussed in fascinating depth earlier in the year - can't recall the context of the thread but it was certainly an education!

The answer to your question about w discus marks is that it takes great skill to take advantage of a favourable quartering wind in the DT whereas a wind helps a sprinter whatever they do. Using the wind is a part of the event in the DT. IIRC!

Justin
          I think I found the other thread

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=26569

Comment

Originally posted by jla
            Also I think that California is a very good place for discus throwing, not so much based on Americans' or Estonians' many good results there (although they too are pretty telling) as this, from Salinas this year:
            59m-guy? Niklas first threw 59 at age 18 when taking the World Juniors silver in 1980. This year he has had 12 competitions over 62m on 10 different locations spread over four US states and three European nations. E.g he won the NCAA championships with 62.84.
            The only time in the year I get to see him - FIN vs. SWE - it's always very close to 59m for some reason (although this year he wasn't there at all, can you perhaps tell me why?) so it's pretty natural I would have that impression. Do you think there have been unlucky wind conditions in FIN-SWE every year since Niklas was eighteen? (and I think that "World Junior silver in 1980", two years before he was born, should be 2000)

Comment

Originally posted by jla
              59m-guy? Niklas first threw 59 at age 18 when taking the World Juniors silver in 1980. This year he has had 12 competitions over 62m on 10 different locations spread over four US states and three European nations. E.g he won the NCAA championships with 62.84.
              The only time in the year I get to see him - FIN vs. SWE - it's always very close to 59m for some reason (although this year he wasn't there at all, can you perhaps tell me why?) so it's pretty natural I would have that impression. Do you think there have been unlucky wind conditions in FIN-SWE every year since Niklas was eighteen? (and I think that "World Junior silver in 1980", two years before he was born, should be 2000)

Niklas has only been in the dual match SWE-FIN 1 time. In 2004 he won with 59.31. He's born in the USA, went to school there and also done missionary work which prevented him to compete for 20 months.

Comment

Okay, if that's so it seems my mind is playing tricks on me, but that 59.31 appears to have given me a lasting impression...

Comment

Okay, if that's so it seems my mind is playing tricks on me, but that 59.31 appears to have given me a lasting impression...
                  well, it's the latest time Sweden won the event. In 2005-2007 Finland also got 16-6 in the event.

Comment

Working...
                  X