Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by croflash
    I'm really curious to know what Felix will do, the 200 will be on Saturday while the 400 will be on Sunday, so she might compete in both races if she gets (wants) the wild card for the 200. The w400 could be the highlight of the weekend if both are still in good shape.

Except she hasn't run the minimum 3 races in the 200. Would she still be eligible for the wildcard?

Regardless, the 400, I would think, would be the more attractive option. I don't know what more she could get out of the 200, either from a time or competitive standpoint, but the 400 could be REALLY special, potentially an American record.
    There are no strings on me

Comment

Congratulations to Sanya. She is a real trooper, and its wonderful that she's willing to be so open about her condition. Hopefully, someone who's dealing with something similar can find inspiration.

From IAAF's website:

“Today, it was kind of tough,” Richards told the audience at the IAAF Closing Press Conference here in Berlin. “I woke up this morning and had tons of ulcers. Before my race I saw Isi had won the Pole Vault and it really encouraged me to do well. It was great to win here in front of such a big crowd.”

Comment

wonder if "ulcers" is a metaphor for butterflies in her stomach, or if it means her mouth has Behçet's problems?

Comment

Probably both. Since many conditions are exacerbated by stress, I wonder if she has additional flare-ups before the big races?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            Originally posted by jazzcyclist
            I wonder if Isi watched the race. She must have been thinking, there goes $500,000.
            If she has an IQ above that of a hamster, can't imagine she would have expected any other outcome.
            She claims to have been brighter than a hamster http://www.allsport.ru/index.php?id=8478
            - And when Sanya Richards ran in the 400 m, what were your thoughts?
            - Right then I was preparing for my second attempt at the world record, but I watched Sanya out of the corner of my eye. In principle, I was certain that Sanya would win, because like me, she has no rivals. When just one tournament remains, you get really worked up. I know this for myself, so I didn’t even consider the possibility that Sanya would lose. I was just expecting half the jackpot. But of course it’s good that there are only two of us! (laughing)

Comment

Berlin W 400

Jon wrote:

"the battle for the No.2/No.3/No.4 spots loks to be between Felix, Sanders and Ohuruogo."

If you follow the T&FN guidelines rankings are based on the SEASON. HONORS WON is most important. Novelene William's record is:
              WCh third
              Golden League 2 seconds, 1 third, 1 fourth & 1 fifth
              Super Grand Prix 1 first & 2 thirds

Sanders's is:
              WCh second
              Golden League 1 second & 1 third
              Super Grand Prix 1 fourth & 1 sixth

Ohuruogo's is:
              WCh first
              Golden League 1 second & 1 fourth
              Super Grand Prix NONE

WIN - LOSS RECORD is second. If you count sprinters record against THE OTHER TOP 10 SPRINTERS assuming that Sanders & Ohuruogo place second & third @ WAF while Novelene Williams is fifth those are:

N. Williams 48 - 27
              Sanders 23 - 18
              Ohuruogo 16 - 5

Richards will be 1st with about 75 points in my method which assigns points based on the T&FN guidelines. Felix & N.Williams will fight for 2nd with about 65 points & Sanders & Ohuruogo will fight for 4th BECAUSE THEY LACKED THE QUANTITY OF THEIR COMPETITION.
              none

Comment

Originally posted by ChuiTai
                Originally posted by BruceFlorman
                With new WL times on Friday night and Sunday afternoon, maybe Sanya's ability to handle rounds is improving.
                Good point. However I believe it has been the 3rd or 4th round where the health effect is the issue. I would imagine a few high test simulations prior to Beijing.
                Brussels/Berlin is exactly what the Osaka semis/finals were: a day between.

Ohuruogu ran 50.16/49.61; Richards ran 49.29/49.27.

The heats were the day before the semis and Ohu ran 50.46. You could have run 52.13 and still advanced. I imagine Richards ran a workout the day before Brussels that was easily the equivalent of that. I can't imagine 3 rounds in 4 days is any particular problem for her.

But putting 200/400 thoughts on hold might be a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by gh

The heats were the day before the semis and Ohu ran 50.46. You could have run 52.13 and still advanced. I imagine Richards ran a workout the day before Brussels that was easily the equivalent of that. I can't imagine 3 rounds in 4 days is any particular problem for her.

But putting 200/400 thoughts on hold might be a good idea.
                  Or possibly the effects of the illness are unpredictable, and just don't lend themselves to neat analysis or planning. She really may not know from day to day how it will affect her.

And for the rest of her career we may never know whether a bad outing is the result of the illness or just a bad day.

Comment

Absolutely. Point I was trying to make is that as of this weekend, running three rounds well enough to win at the WC/OG apparently not a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                      I wonder if Isi watched the race. She must have been thinking, there goes $500,000.
                      nah, small change.
                      ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        You could have run 52.13 and still advanced. I imagine Richards ran a workout the day before Brussels that was easily the equivalent of that. I can't imagine 3 rounds in 4 days is any particular problem for her.
                        But is Richards capable of running 52.13 when that's all that's necessary? In Indy she ran 50.02 in her semi when all she needed was a 51.45. When the stadium is packed and the lights and cameras are on, can she control her enthusiasm enough to take second in a preliminary round when there's no advantage to winning?

Comment

i wonder how many novlene williams posters this gleason character has hanging up on his wall? :P

Comment

Berlin W 400

jazzcyclist wrote:

"What I don't understand is that in Indy she was able within 0.1s of Felix in the 200 final when it was her 6th race (3-400s & 3-200s) in 3 days, but she was almost a full second behind her in Osaka when it was her 4th race in 3 days"

Here are the facts:
                            1. The preceding information is accurate.
                            2. Results of Sheffield 200 15July: Felix (22.35) Richards (22.44) Campbell
                            (22.60)
                            3. Felix had been running a lot of 100s & some 400s
                            4. Campbell had been injured in 2006
                            5. Because of # 4 & 5, Felix & Campbell should have been expected to
                            improve @ WCh
                            6. Richards could have run 200 races in Rethymno (18Jul won by L.Williams)
                            Madrid (21Jul won by Boone - Smith) Heusdsen-Zolder (28Jul won by
                            Gevaert) & London (3Aug won by Campbell) & ignored 100 & 400s below
                            7. She chose to run 400 @ London & Stockholm plus 100 @ Stockholm

MY OPINION:
                            Because she had specialized @ 400 for 5 years, she needed to run those 5 races @ 200 to improve as much as EXPERIENCED SPRINTERS DID. Experts say that neuromuscular coordination is improved by highly specialized training, such as 5 200 races in 20 days to prepare for 4 races in 3 days against experienced sprinters @ their peaks
                            none

Comment

Working...
                            X