Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rankings

"TNF favours American athletes because its an American driven subscriber base"

As a former ranker, I can tell you that is BS. The magazine DOES not do it, rankers with their own minds do it. They are beholden to no one.

Comment

>OK Gary then try and explain the DEC, USA NATIONAL CHAMPION in indoor
      >heptathlon, yes he took "only 3rd in USATF Outdoors, also 3rd in italy and a
      >very questioable DQ in WC still placed 12th. Yet, Clay DNF outdoors, 2nd USATF,
      >1st in Berkley against ??? and yes 85xx to 82xx. Only meet for lobidin and
      >dvorak was WC. And Qi would not even been at WC if he was American. Stephen
      >Moore 1st at Pan Am and 80xx at Nationals ?????>>

Is there an actual question in there somewhere? If there is, I can't find it. I do see the word "indoor" cropping up and GH has pointed out in the AOY thread that indoor multi-events aren't considered as part of the rankings.

Comment

...sound "dazed and confused" to me. Perhaps you do not knwo th emeaning of the words...he he he he

Comment

humble dread- we heard you the first time. Posting the same thing over and over is annoying at best. Please do not do it again.

Ben

Comment

Stop writing novels as answers. Know one wants to read that B-S.

Comment

>Stop writing novels as answers. Know one wants to read that B-S.

I agree. There should be a maximum number of words allowed, it's really tough to read the huge posts when you're at work!

Comment

"If that's what GH said" then he doesn't read the magazine.Page 13 says they do count except in shorter running events. But, why does GH not ( as usual put his 2 cents in ) and explain...Using the" Our Three Criteria " Honors won.. the rankings are not justified...National Champion vs noentry...3rd in multistars vs no entry...no entry vs 1st in Berkley...3rd vs 2nd at USATF Outdoors...12th WC vs DNF...6th best world mark vs 4th best.....Come on BOTH of these guys belong in the TOP 10....

Comment

Is there any source where we can get the rankings from. entering this from europe where i canĀ“t get T&F News. Thanks!!!!

Comment

Re: Rankings Suck

The next time that Jason Lunn runs knowing that you guys are in the press box, I would like to instruct him to give you the royal bird much the same as Coe did at the finish of the 1500 in LA. You do not give him the respect that he deserves,but he should give you the respect that you deserve. This bird is for you!

Comment

. This bird is for
                      >you!
                      I'll vote for the bird as well. When was the last time that someone both the indoor(mile/1500) and outdoor 1500 in the same year?

Comment

I wonder since Todd Kline has in writing said that funding " IS " decided by the T and F News. Then since they rank without regards to following thier own published 3 criteria, would the Magazine or the Ranking committee or both be the names these athletes refer thier attorneys to?????

Comment

Lunn vs. Krum
                          h-t-h: they are 1 and 1. Lunn at Home Depot, Krum in Europe once.
                          honors: in the 1500, Krum has none. Lunn, BOTH national titles this year (when was the last time that was done??).

If those are two of the three criteria, Lunn should be # 1.

Comment

From a quick look at the indoor lists I note Krum also beat Lunn at the adidas Boston meet.

Comment

The beauty of TFN rankings is that they were the only rankings for decades and it was exciting to see what was coming. Around teh mid 90's that all changed. The criteria is laid out and then the rankings come, and they do not match in the shorter events.
                              I agree, the events have to be judged differently, then say so! But that does not address the fluctuations year to year in the same event. If you compare the 100 rankings and the reasonings over the years you will be amazed at the changing of the criteria. Bottom line, the sprint rankings are far more subjective than professed. And I would not be as perturbed if I was not given objective reasoning for the rankings.

Comment

The sprint rankings were pretty solid until the 80's and Carl Lewis ... When TFN fell in love with Carl justification had to be found to grant him number one in years when others seemed as deserving (the early years) ... Or when Carl competed very little (long jump years) Then when Ben emerged different rationale was needed (86) ... By the time Ben clearly took the title away in 87 presedence had been established ... By that time a case could be made for any favorite son who somehow fell short - a la Frankie in 97 after Mo won Worlds ... This on the heals of Bailey winning Oly gold but little else in 96 yet being number one ... Like anything operated by human beings "likability" often comes into play ... The rankings are no different ...

Comment

Working...
                                X