Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rankings

Wow - talk about conspiracy theories! You grossly overestimate the ability of the editors to control the balloting. They have zero influence over the voters, who take their charge quite seriously. Nice try though.

Comment

The 100m issue is a disgrace. Whilst I don't agree with a lot of smokes points of views, I agree with him here. How can the world champion, who does run in Europe and compete well not be no.1, what does he say "I am the world champion but I am ranked no.3 in the world" doesn't sound right. But then again who cares. The T&F rankings are biased and has been for a long time.(although they were kind to me on two occaisions, thank you T&F

Comment

tn the gutless rankers / editors have yet in any forum given any input, considerations, or even in the rankings helped the fans to understand thier points of view.
        Maybe there is no committe, maybe NIKE and addidas buy the rankings to justify the money they spend?????

Comment

Of coarse TNF are biased , they are because its the subjective nature when you put an "expert" panel together to decide the world champion is actually ranked 3rd in the world. Oh yah , one more thing, the Bucs did not end the year as NFL Champions, even though they won the super bowl, they finished the year ranked 4th based on head to head season match-ups.

Comment

I get the impression that these must all be the same disgruntled person - the methodology has been explained - it does make sense to the rest of us - it is not anything but a group of experts who make a consensus based on many factors, none of which includes an American bias or someone's money - get over it, guy(s).

Comment

The moderator can tell its not the same person from the IP. Can't you accept the fact that people disagree about the subjective nature of rankings. This is no different than figure skating, gymnastics scoring et. No one is calling the rankers dishonest or bad people , but I can't think of another sport where the world champion isn't considered first in the world , can you?

Comment

Why should williams be no.2. In the biggest meet of the year he had his chance and didn't take it, surely thats where champions are made. To much weight is placed on the whole year and not enough on the one that people remember. Kim Collins should at least be ahead of Williams although I can't work out how you could rank a guy no.1 who didn't even run the 100m at the World Champs. If he didn't run world champs he obviously didn't run or wasn't good enough to make the US team. I am sure Capel is capable of it but no way has he eant the title of no.1 100m dasher in the world this year. Surely you have to compete in the 100m at the worlds or Olympics to be ranked no.1??

Comment

Capel's 100m number 1 has to be the one largest glaring problem with the rankings this year. In no way does he warrant number 1. It is definitely insane.

Comment

As usual people have to insist that everyone follow there believes and not there own. The TFN crew has a sysstem and they used it to come up with what they feel is the way events should be ranked. In the case of the 100, Collins won one big race. Yes it was the biggest, but othere than that one, he was a none factor. Capel had a winning record and a faster time or average of times than everyone in the rankings. He also was the only athlete to win (or tie) for more than one golden league race. The 100 was a mess to rank this year, but TFN did about as good a job as could be done. You are all intitled to your opinons, but stop trying to tell people how to run there buisness and stop trying to make something out of nothing.

Comment

who is telling TFN how to run there business, the discussion here is about rankings. GH runs his business policy as he see's fit. If there was a specific formula to rank people , the equations would be put in a computer and they would not need a subjective panel to pick out rankings. I would guess that the reason they have 4 people on the panel rather than 1 , is to protect against i person "biase" or subjective reasoning. My original point , what other sport does not consider the world champion , number 1. NFL, NBA, NHL, ??????

Comment

"The moderator can tell its not the same person from the IP."

Probably better if everyone always believed this, but some DHCP servers change your IP every time you log on. Some associate other unique identifiers with the computer, some don't. And if you use dial-up, your IP is not static.

Comment

Snot twirling and turtle humping. The 2002 winner placed only 4th on the spring sheet, despite placing at least 2nd in every meet and then winning the final. That was just plain wrong, man. He got robbed, and so are some of the athletes in track.

Comment

let's try MOST sports:

tennis - Wimbleton is the de facto WC - the Champion is often not ranked #1 in the world.
                            golf - Take the Masters or US Open - the Champion is often not ranked #1
                            Indy Series - win the Indy 500 and you still may not be #1 - same in NASCAR - whatever it's 'champions' race is - Daytona probably
                            the list goes on and on. The World Series, the NBA Finals, NHL, etc. are all multiple game series because the BEST doesn't always win EVERY big game.

Track's WC is a one shot deal. I think everyone admits that an individual can have an off day and still be the best. Otherwise Tiger Woods and Anna S would win every golf tournament.

The WC's are a BIG factor, but not the be-all, end-all.

The rankings MUST be subjective at this time, so you pick the best experts and trust their judgement. You don't have to agree, but who they pick becomes the #1 for the year. That's just the way it is. I repeat: get over it.

Comment

Wimbledon - I should use the edit function

Comment

Open question to the elite athletes reading this thread. Is winning the WC or the Olympic games your ultimate object of that year, where you direct your training and competition? Or do you sacrifice your peak fitness by peaking early, knowing TNF news needs early and mid season performances for you to be ranked number 1.

Comment

Working...
                                X