Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rankings

Bad example GK, Wimbledon, Indy 500 , Daytona 500.. these are NOT designated as the sports championship events. You have just considered these championship events for your argument. Grow up and read the thread, I said nothing about multiple games to chose a specific championship, or you need to win every match, you just added that for some reason. To win the Super Bowl .... you need to win one game, the Super Bowl game. Golf has no world champion, the player of the year is a SUBJECTIVE vote that the PGA player vote. Tiger or Anika don't need to win every match to win a voted player of the year. Once again, when is the winner of a Sports designated Championship NOT considered number 1?

Comment

Since your insinuation is that athletes peak for the WC and that's why they lose at other times . . . and the 100 rankings seem to be the focus here . . . Kim Collins ran his PR 9.99 in Zurich right before the WC's and got THIRD, and then got 6th and 7th at the Grand Prix Final and Moscow ($$$$ opportunity). Any 'peak' he had at the WC's was already established by Zurich and would have held for the other two meets. Just like everyone else.

Comment

One more thing GK, you need to have some knowledge about a sport before you use it in your argument. Wimbledon is NOT a world championship in tennis , just because you consider it so . Next, tennis does not have a subjective end of year ranking process, it has a specific formula , computer generated fomula , that each player understands... or at best must accept. There is no panel re-shuffling the tennis rankings at the end of the year.

Comment

tf , do you think any athlete would not trade a couple of Golden league wins for a world championship or olympic gold?

Comment

Sorry for the multiple handles, I am GK aka Grassy Knollster (trying to be allusive), I am also tn which is my 'lazy' sign in. I AM knowledgable enough to see what you mean, but you must also see that one big win is not what the T&FN rankings have ever been about. They are about a season. The 'best' does not mean the best in one meet, even when that meet is the primary focus of EVERY athlete. My analogy to golf, tennis and the other sports was to show that someone can be the Best without having won the single most important meet. No computer formula (yet) can do what a small committee of experts can do, 'value' a whole season of accomplishments. Right now T&FN does that best. It's not a flawless protocol, and it is very admittedly subjective, but that's how it is right now. It's fine to disagree (as I do sometimes), but to call the system 'flawed' is to misunderstand its intent and charge. You can say Kim Collins is the World Champion with 100% certainty. I say Capel is the #1 ranked 100 man in the world - according to the most respected ranking authority (fact, not opinion) with the same 100% certainty. I bet Capel might even trade his #1 for Collins' #1, but, I say again, that's just how it is right now. I apologize for any 'tone' you might read into this reply, because I am actually neutral. I see your point - I hope you see mine.

Comment

Yes , see your point.

Comment

"One more thing GK, you need to have some knowledge about a sport before you use it in your argument."

True, now learn something about IP addresses before you mention them in your arguments.

Comment

Ow - a double bashing. I guess I am beyond redemption in my knowledge of the sport [if I can't get my act together in the 35 years I have been following it as my #1 hobby, I am hopeless :-) ], but the whole IP thing is something I can learn more about. What percentage of home users can/do hide/change their IP's routinely? I was not aware that was happening. I once asked our local IT guru about an IP masker and he said it was not something 'normal' people can do.

Comment

What experts? Who were the "experts" for this year and what knowledge do they utilize? Oh by the way in the DEC there were 2 in top ten that only completed the WC.

Comment

Page 13 of current issue: Roberto Quercetani, Richard Hymans, Dave Johnson, Nejat Kok, Jonathan Berenbom, and gh. Three continentals, a Canuck and two damn yankees, ergo the Heavy American influence.

Comment

M.lewis Quit being a 2 year old dink. I'm having a constructive argument with TnF nut. Who I think is very knowledged , but I disagree with the point of rankings.

Comment

Smell you.

Comment

Prediction: when the Athletics International rankings (a Brit group) come out, they'll be almost the same as TFN, puttig to bed any thoughts of US bias.

Comment

"M.lewis Quit being a 2 year old dink. I'm having a constructive argument with TnF nut. Who I think is very knowledged"

I can vouch for Tafnut being highly knowledgeable about the sport, but he isn't the least bit knowledged, since the word ain't in the dictionary. Lighten up a bit, if you're gonna call yourself Mensa and instruct people in the art of debate, it might not be a bad idea to make sure you know what you're talking about, viz., my comments on IP addresses, and try a spellchecker too. No hard feelings (certainly not from a 2 year old dink, anyway

Comment

Thanks M Lewis, you just won me a free lunch! Just back from our 10m run, I bet the boys that the argument of last resort on this message board is to pick out spelling errors. People are so stubborn and immature that when they run out of contructive argument , the only way to make themselves feel better is to find grammer-spelling errors. Cheer ML , burgers and beer - on you. ha ha .

Comment

Working...
                                X