Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyson Gay is a P - oward.........

... ok so safa's on fire ...should every1 else decide not to run because they cant win?

..There seems to be a new attitude creeping in the sport... ''If you cant win dont run!' ....... Its wrong! Safa coulndt win at the WC07 and stopped, its Wrong!

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/ ... orts4.html

Although I have just heaped praise on AP and TG as true sportsman and I stand by that I have to agree with you. It does reveal a chink in an athletes armour when they feel the need to avoid each other to keep their reputations intact until the big payday. Unfortunately as a professional sport these guys will be looking at their financial interests first. Who can blame them.
    Alas, this isn't good news for fans. But we've gone through this before in earlier threads.

Comment

It's not just keep "reputations intact." It may well be that Gay has an incentive clause in his contract w/ adidas that pays him a (big) bonus for being No. 1 in the T&FN World Rankings. He's currently No. 1, but doesn't feel like he's anywhere near top shape (and Powell obviously is). Why should he risk losing that money?

Got to remember that pro track is a business as much as it's a sport. Bad business to take money out of your pocket, particularly in a meaningless (sorry Yokohama) meet.

Comment

It's the business model that's broken when it's better for athletes to not compete.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          It's not just keep "reputations intact." It may well be that Gay has an incentive clause in his contract w/ adidas that pays him a (big) bonus for being No. 1 in the T&FN World Rankings. He's currently No. 1, but doesn't feel like he's anywhere near top shape (and Powell obviously is). Why should he risk losing that money?

Got to remember that pro track is a business as much as it's a sport. Bad business to take money out of your pocket, particularly in a meaningless (sorry Yokohama) meet.
          I hear your argument but the sport is losing out. The true sports fan love the idea of the best going against the best..ie Ali vs frazier, Tyson vs Lennox Lewis, Hearns vs Leonard etc. This year the two fastest men on the planet have raced only once with the liklihood that they will not meet before next years Olympics. Something is drastically wrong with that picture. i hate the idea of us revisiting the scenario that existed during the Coe/ Ovett/ Steve Cram era. After Gatlin won @ oly '04 he ducked the competition for the rest of the year and here we go again with Tyson Gay. True champions the like of Ed Moses, Mike Powell, Michael Johnson, Linford Christie, Donovan Bailey, Allen Johnson and Maurice Green who never avoided their main competition must be soberly shaking their heads.

Comment

Originally posted by Non Potest
            After Gatlin won @ oly '04 he ducked the competition for the rest of the year...
            You:ll need to revisit that season. Gatlin again raced some of the best in, drum-roll, please -- Yokohama:

Originally posted by Tilastopaya
            1 Justin Gatlin USA 10.2.82 9.97
            2 Leonard Scott USA 19.1.80 10.14
            3 Nobuharu Asahara JPN 21.6.72 10.20
            4 Frank Fredericks NAM 2.10.67 10.27
            5 Maurice Greene USA 23.7.74 10.33
            6 Hiroyasu Tsuchie JPN 14.6.74 10.35
            7 Patrick Johnson AUS 26.9.72 10.37

Comment

... True champions the like of Ed Moses, Mike Powell, Michael Johnson, Linford Christie, Donovan Bailey, Allen Johnson and Maurice Green who never avoided their main competition must be soberly shaking their heads.
              It can be argued that Moses doesn't belong on that list. He was pretty good about being picky-choosy later in his career. Prime example: 1986, when his unbeaten string was in full flower. The list of meets he skipped included USATF, Z├╝rich, Cologne, Brussels, Oslo, Nice and the GP Final!

As a result, he never met the year's other three top rankers (Phillips, Harris & Schmid), and Phillips got the No. 1 World Ranking.

Comment

Avoiding the competition is one thing during the main competitive season than it is as things wind down and some are in top shape and others are not. Gay has a season that demands topping conditioning in June to get through the tough US trials. He has to re-peak for the WCs. That is the structure of his season and he cannot plan on being in great shape in the Fall, which is this weekend.

In a counter to gh, I would presume that a single loss to AP would not reslut in a loss from Number 1 to Number 2. However, he may have an incentive based on the overall ranking where he has to be close to Number 1, which is also worth something I would suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by gh

I hear your argument but the sport is losing out. The true sports fan love the idea of the best going against the best..ie Ali vs frazier, Tyson vs Lennox Lewis, Hearns vs Leonard etc. This year the two fastest men on the planet have raced only once with the liklihood that they will not meet before next years Olympics. Something is drastically wrong with that picture. i hate the idea of us revisiting the scenario that existed during the Coe/ Ovett/ Steve Cram era. After Gatlin won @ oly '04 he ducked the competition for the rest of the year and here we go again with Tyson Gay. True champions the like of Ed Moses, Mike Powell, Michael Johnson, Linford Christie, Donovan Bailey, Allen Johnson and Maurice Green who never avoided their main competition must be soberly shaking their heads.
                  I agree with your point about the sport losing out. However some of the athletes you mentioned weren't good examples. moses ran mostly during the amateur era and was unbeatable most of his career between those little blips namely schmidt and harris, otherwise he was so confident that he could go to any race and win without worrying about his reputation. As for the likes of johnson and green, they too were so dominant that they were confident of pulling off win after win, and if they did lose on the rarest of occasions, it would be pretty much overlooked . Unlike gay and powell, they just did not have that rivalry. boldon and fredericks were great, but just a notch below them in competitive racing.

Comment

I think if I had to make the choice of what was better for me (and my family) financially or how I looked to fans, I would take the money and run (unopposed). Since when does TG NOT get to choose, without fear of criticism, which races will benefit HIMSELF? He owes us and the sport . . . nothing. If he makes us mad and we boycott his races, so he can't make money, then that's one thing, but by avoiding AP now, he's only building sweeter pots for next year. I would NOT be surprised if the scenario is different next year, after the OG, when they WOULD be willing to face each other in showdowns for BigBux. Think about commercial endorsements also. AP can make money now as the WR-holder and TG as the WChamp. Why risk that? If TG races and loses, the panache of WChamp is dulled. It really IS all about the $$$ (and should be, for THEM).

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown
                      It's the business model that's broken when it's better for athletes to not compete.
                      Yes and no..... While I do have a problem with the way Moses ducked prime competition in the biggest meets of the year, I pretty much give a free pass to anyone who chooses not to put it on the line in a meaningless post-WAF meet. After 4+ months of running at the highest level and winning the biggest prize, if you want to back off on the training and just earn some bucks on the "exhibition circuit," so be it.

It also strikes me that there's more than just the preserve-the-rankings motive here. Gay already says he's stiff and sore; do you really want to blow out a hammy in a meaningless meet in the fall before the Olympic year? That unspoken fear has to be at the back of every athlete's mind always.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown
                        Having two great rivals in one event is a boon for the sport.

However, in strictly business terms, having them race against each other multiple times a year is not ideal. The confrontations become routine, and the inherent drama of the situations becomes drained away without a really satisfying resolution.

Delaying the confrontation sharpens the anticipation and hypes the drama. There's a reason stage plays have had three acts for centuries. It's because the final confrontation between protagonist and antagonist is most satisfying when the drama has been building for two and a half acts.

This doesn't apply to most of us here. We don't need the buildup; there's plenty of drama for us in the details like reaction times and wind readings and 10-meter splits, and ten times a year wouldn't be too often as far as we're concerned.

But to attract the rest of the world, those tentative and mostly uninformed fans or potential fans, the optimum marketing strategy would be to hype Gay and Powell until it seems silly, creating story lines for each, whipping up anticipation, but never have them meet until the final in Beijing.

Asafa storyline: Monster talent seeks to quell crippling inner doubt.

Tyson story line: Uneasy lies the head.

Seriously.

Comment

There is much more to a season than the physical demands, great though they are.

Gay has mentioned several times in interviews that he has found the increased interest and focus on him this year quite difficult - enjoyable and fun, but also very tiring. He is not naturally someone who seeks attention or the limelight and I absolutely don't blame him for wanting some time off the hype-mill.

And I would add that after the fantastic performances he has delivered this year and the highly impressive manner in which he conducted himself, Gay deserves more than the puerile abuse in this thread title. IMHO.

Justin

Comment

Regarding the thread title.... that must be an Anglo thing... I'm not sure what it means (really!).

Comment

I assumed that it was the opposite of C - ussy

Comment

Working...
                              X