Khannauchi out of trials?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khannauchi out of trials?

Word has it that the Morrocan ex-pat is still inj. and won't make the Feb.trial race. Always thought he overraced. What a talent though. Hope it works out for him.

Re: Khannauchi out of trials?

>Word has it that the Morrocan ex-pat is still inj. and won't make the
    >the Feb.trial race. Always thought he overraced. What a talent though. Hope it
    >works out for him.

Some stuff here(your heading is a bit more descriptive though):

http://trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/discus ... hread=2877

Comment

He is obviously injuried. Beside he does not want to risk the embarrassment of losing to an American runner. If Khannaucki is not 100% that could happen. He would never hear the end of it if he where beaten by Americans.

Comment

>He is obviously injuried. Beside he does not want to risk the embarrassment of
        >losing to an American runner. If Khannaucki is not 100% that could happen. He
        >would never hear the end of it if he where beaten by Americans.

He acknowledges that(actually in a classy manner):

“I hear from many people that it would be easy for me to do it in 9 weeks and that I do not need to be 100% in shape to win. For me, they have no idea what they are talking about and they are over estimating the Americans runners. First of all, is not my style to go to a marathon if I am not 100% sure that I am capable to perform in a high level and be able to win. For me, American marathon runners are as competitive as any Kenyan runner that I’ve raced against."

Comment

Only K. can evaluate his own fitness, but seems to me that plenty of athletes recognize that the Trial is only a stepping-stone; you don't have to be at peak to make it a priority; all you have to do is finish 3rd in a Trial to get to go for gold six months later. No one could fault him for being half-prepared, and even failing.
          Of course he may (legitimately) see it differently. Running when injured, or ill-prepared enough to precipitate an injury, may put in jeopardy his ability to make a living (by running in cash marathons later in the year). Only he can make that decision --

Comment

Does he have the 10k trials qualifier? If not, I'm sure he could get one early.

Without him in the marathon it would be nice to see him in the 10. It would definatly mix things up a bit with Meb and Culpepper. Would be very interesting.

Comment

"First of all, is not my style to go to a marathon if I am not 100% sure that I am capable to perform in a high level and be able to win. For me, American marathon runners are as competitive as any Kenyan runner that I’ve raced against." - KK

I understand that he has a right to his feling and to race or not race as he sees fit.

But here is my view on the above statement:

This is the Oly Trials, "style" or not to forgo running in them because its not your style to race when your only 90% is arrogant and shows that he really doesn't care about the Olympics or representing his new country. Similar to his dropping out because of a blister last time around. I saw the blister and it was bad but I've had similar and never dropped out. But that is just my "style". I'd have had to lost a leg to drop out when representing my country.

As for his comment that "American marathon runners are as competitive as any Kenyan runner that I’ve raced against." Who is he kidding? That may be to dumbest quote of the year. I'm all for America but American marathoners have not been even near to the same level as the Kenyans in many years. Just look at the stats, they tell an overwhelming story.

If he is injured and can't run then fine, that happens but to make these bull*hit comments about not racing unless 100% and American marathoners are as tough as Kenyans is just insulting.

Comment

When life deals you lemons make lemonade.

Great, perhaps Khannouchi runs the 10k at the Oly Trials? I, for one, would like to see it.

Comment

10k is better than nothing but he has no where near the chance at medaling at 10k that he does in the marathon.

Comment

How much do they pay the winner of the Olyimpic marathon? Not as much as Chicago, I imagin.I hope that he's only going for the cash ala Pala Radclif

Comment

How much do they pay the winner of the Olyimpic marathon? Not as much as Chicago, I imagin.I hope that he's only going for the cash ala Pala Radclif

I agree mike, plus the olympic course is very difficult unlike chicago, plus it will be run in hot conditions no matter the time of the day.
                      plus all the wolrd is watching the olympic marathon since it is just before the closing ceremony, chicago only a few thousands on the streets

Comment

>Pala Radclif

You don't follow the sport much, do ya?

Comment

Working...
                        X