Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's 400 World Rankings [split-split]

Andrea_T wrote:

"Global medals, especially golds and podium places at big GP meets out rank fast times at home" & "Ohuruogu....2nd fastest on world lists." & "Sanders....4th fastest in 07 " & "world no 1 had run a race earlier that eve."

I've followed AOY since 1965. T&FN rules HAVE NEVER CONSIDERED earlier races, especially at the shortest OG distance.

World lists are not considered. Series of Marks usually means average of TOP 5 MARKS! Fast times at home would have to be at least 5 fast times to be considered by T&FN rules.

I count WCh & OG as 64-32-16-8-4-2-1 & add 20% 10% 5% for relays. I count meets with 4 of the top 8 or 5 of the top 10 on world lists as 16-8-4-2-1. I count meets with 4/15 or 5/20 as 8-4-2-1. The latter 2 meet the definition of big GP meets

Williams earned 194.4 of a possible 282.4 points & had a w/l of 51 - 27
    Felix earned 48/56 & w/l of 13 - 1
    Ohuruogu earned 81.9/115.9 & w/l of 13 - 6
    Sanders earned 49.35/138.35 & w/l of 13 - 15 - 1
    I count 3 POINTS for a win vs. ranked athlete, - 1 point for a loss vs. ranked athlete & - 3 points for a loss vs. unranked athlete, so Saunders earned only 39 of a posssible 57 points.

Felix's w/l record is clearly superior to UK sprinters. Her honors record is clearly superior to Sanders. I use a simple algorithm to compute records, but it should be clear that 48/56 is better than 81.9/115.9 for Felix over Ohuruogu. Felix barely finishes ahead of Ohuruogu for honors & w/l. I'll add top 5 average in 2007 if any posters request it.

I rest my case!
    none

Re: Good Arguements for women's AOY

Originally posted by Gleason
    Felix's honors record is clearly superior to Sanders.
    How can a few races in GP meets outweigh a World Champs gold?

Comment

I've followed AOY since 1965. T&FN rules HAVE NEVER CONSIDERED earlier races, especially at the shortest OG distance.

World lists are not considered. Series of Marks usually means average of TOP 5 MARKS! Fast times at home would have to be at least 5 fast times to be considered by T&FN rules.

I count WCh & OG as 64-32-16-8-4-2-1 & add 20% 10% 5% for relays. I count meets with 4 of the top 8 or 5 of the top 10 on world lists as 16-8-4-2-1. I count meets with 4/15 or 5/20 as 8-4-2-1. The latter 2 meet the definition of big GP meets

Williams earned 194.4 of a possible 282.4 points & had a w/l of 51 - 27
      Felix earned 48/56 & w/l of 13 - 1
      Ohuruogu earned 81.9/115.9 & w/l of 13 - 6
      Sanders earned 49.35/138.35 & w/l of 13 - 15 - 1
      I count 3 POINTS for a win vs. ranked athlete, - 1 point for a loss vs. ranked athlete & - 3 points for a loss vs. unranked athlete, so Saunders earned only 39 of a posssible 57 points.

Felix's w/l record is clearly superior to UK sprinters. Her honors record is clearly superior to Sanders. I use a simple algorithm to compute records, but it should be clear that 48/56 is better than 81.9/115.9 for Felix over Ohuruogu. Felix barely finishes ahead of Ohuruogu for honors & w/l. I'll add top 5 average in 2007 if any posters request it.

I rest my case!
      Yeah, but my system is much more reliable than that.

I take everything in to account and then make my own mind up

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
        I thought Sanders came second in Osaka??

Comment

Lol, sorry - meant to say world champs medal. ops: :lol:

Comment

Good Arguments for Women's AOY

Jon wrote:

How can a few races in GP meets outweigh a World Champs....medal?"

T&FN guidelines state that honors put the emphasis on WINNING!!

Felix won: MtSAC R, Doha Super GP, Reebok GP & Stockholm GP
            Felix was 2nd @ London Super GP
            MtSAC R was not a major meet, so Felix has three major meet wins.

Sanders won Sheffield GP & Manchester. These are not major meets because # 19 world list Henderson was the highest ranking athlete defeated by Sanders there.

Sanders was 2nd @ WCh & Brussels
            Sanders was 3rd @ Berlin
            Sanders was 4th @ London Super GP
            Sanders was 5th @ WAF
            Sanders was 6th @ Lausanne Super GP

Sanders has NO MAJOR MEET WINS!!

Her Honors were 49.35/138.35 & w/l of 13 - 15 - 1

See my posting on Wed Sept 26, 2007 5:02 pm to explain my points system

T&FN guidelines are applied by a "complex processof argumentation" (p.7, January 2007) to produce a subjective, arbitrary & exclusive result. My system produces an objective, approximate & inclusive result IMHO!!

I admit that the battle between Felix & Ohuruogo for 3rd is very close. Sanders is a clear 5th because she failed to win a major meet. Her wins indoors & outdoors that are NOT major meets are so listed because she FAILED TO DEFEAT ANY ATHLETE RANKED @ 400 IN THOSE WINS.
            none

Comment

Re: Good Arguments for Women's AOY

I admit that the battle between Felix & Ohuruogo for 3rd is very close. Sanders is a clear 5th because she failed to win a major meet. Her wins indoors & outdoors that are NOT major meets are so listed because she FAILED TO DEFEAT ANY ATHLETE RANKED @ 400 IN THOSE WINS.
              re ur points system, i realise if youve been following aoy since 1965 your probly retired or something so have a lot of free time, but u need to get a life!

re sanders, shes european indoor champion, world silver medallist and 49.65 sb, that ranks above what felix has achieved at 400m this season.

simple as. end of.

aer you gonna come up with a points system to prove how your word carries more weight than mine??

mwah!

Comment

European indoors counts as less than World Indoors, which Richards failed to qualify for finals last season, but still won AOY.

Comment

I didn't think indoors counted at all...

Comment

Even better point.

Comment

Jon wrote:

How can a few races in GP meets outweigh a World Champs....medal?"

T&FN guidelines state that honors put the emphasis on WINNING!!

Felix won: MtSAC R, Doha Super GP, Reebok GP & Stockholm GP
                      Felix was 2nd @ London Super GP
                      MtSAC R was not a major meet, so Felix has three major meet wins.

Sanders won Sheffield GP & Manchester. These are not major meets because # 19 world list Henderson was the highest ranking athlete defeated by Sanders there.

Sanders was 2nd @ WCh & Brussels
                      Sanders was 3rd @ Berlin
                      Sanders was 4th @ London Super GP
                      Sanders was 5th @ WAF
                      Sanders was 6th @ Lausanne Super GP

Sanders has NO MAJOR MEET WINS!!

Her Honors were 49.35/138.35 & w/l of 13 - 15 - 1

See my posting on Wed Sept 26, 2007 5:02 pm to explain my points system

T&FN guidelines are applied by a "complex processof argumentation" (p.7, January 2007) to produce a subjective, arbitrary & exclusive result. My system produces an objective, approximate & inclusive result IMHO!!

please stop trying to pimp your overcomplicated system that nobody is interested in. it reminds me in Mean Girls when one of them who trying to popularise the word 'fetch', drop it , it's not gonna catch on :?
                      i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
                        Without directly addressing this year's specifics, allow me to point out that GP races can frequently outweight WC golds. 13 of the 43 No. 1s in '05 didn't win gold in Helsinki.

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                          reminds me in Mean Girls when one of them who trying to popularise the word 'fetch'
                          mumpsy

aren't you a bit ole to be watching those sort of films ? :P

( btw, when did you move south of the river to "bandit" country ? :P )

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            Originally posted by Jon
                            Without directly addressing this year's specifics, allow me to point out that GP races can frequently outweight WC golds. 13 of the 43 No. 1s in '05 didn't win gold in Helsinki.
                            But will Felix's one head-to-head win over Sanders be enough to tip the scales in her favour, despite Sanders' WCh silver and faster clocking (and, I presume, faster average of top-five times)?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
                              Originally posted by gh
                              Originally posted by Jon
                              But will Felix's one head-to-head win over Sanders be enough to tip the scales in her favour, despite Sanders' WCh silver and faster clocking (and, I presume, faster average of top-five times)?
                              Who do you think would win if they raced three times. I am guessing Felix. But of course, the rankings are based on what you did, not what you would do. When you have three mistresses (masters) it is hard to push them all to the limit of the competition.

Comment

Working...
                              X