Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gebrselassie: 3 straight yrs as world's fastest marathoner?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gebrselassie: 3 straight yrs as world's fastest marathoner?

So, it's still a bit too soon to conclude this, but I want to try to get a non-Marion thread in here somewhere, and anyway it's going to be hard for someone to beat Geb's time from Berlin. THis would give Geb the world's fastest marathon time in 2005, 2006, and 2007. To put this accomplishment in historical perspective, when was the last time a runner had the fastest time in the world 3 straight years?

Derek Clayton, maybe?

Comment

Not Clayton -- he was fastest in the world multiple times but not consecutively. Same for Bill Rodgers. Last 3 consecutive years as fastest marathoner is pre-Clayton.

Comment

Jim Peters?

Comment

Not Peters either -- though he did have fastest time in the world in 52-53-54. After Peters, but before Clayton. But not Bikila, who "only" had world's fastest time 2 years -- of course they were something truly special, but that's another story. So, between Peters and Clayton...

Comment

Shorter?

Comment

Shorter was after Clayton.

Comment

Sergey Popov?

Comment

Yes, Popov -- 57-58-59. A rare accomplishment. I would not be surprised if Geb leads the world again in 2008, which would be unprecedented.

Comment

Bill Rodgers came close 77-79
                    1975 1 2:09:56
                    1976 7 2:11:58
                    1977 1 2:10:55
                    1978 2 2:10:14
                    1979 1 2:09:28

Comment

Originally posted by Master Po
                      I would not be surprised if Geb leads the world again in 2008, which would be unprecedented.
                      that may be a tough ask

he'll probably only run one early season - usually london & that's a loaded field, which often turns tactical

next one after will be bejiing ( no chance quick time there ) & he'll be pretty whacked after that to try another one for remaining part of year

probably quickest time will be whoever wins in rotterdam or berlin again next year ( latter is too soon after bejiing for geb to do both )

Comment

Haile is doing Dubai in January.
                        http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by nevetsllim
                          Will that be hotter than Chicago? Or will they hold it indoor?

Comment

Originally posted by AS
                            Originally posted by nevetsllim
                            Will that be hotter than Chicago? Or will they hold it indoor?

You could look that up.

Comment

When I wrote that I "would not be surprised" if Geb led the marathon times again in '08, I meant it partly in the sense that he seems to continue to be capable of such great things that, well, it wouldn't surprise me.

I was also thinking that he would only be doing to to Dubai in January if he thought he could produce a fast time. Was also thinking that the OG marathon would take up most of the fastest athletes' energies in '08 and thus we might not see other really fast times in the big races.

Just looked at Dubai Marathon site:

http://www.dubaimarathon.org/

1st prize is $250,000 USD (which may not go as far as it used to, but that's still quite a lot). Maybe course record bonuses too, which should be in Geb's reach, weather permitting:

2007 Wm Rotich 2:09:53

Comment

Working...
                              X