Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gh
    New story on front page says 78% of Americans think the others should keep their medals. Bet an international poll wouldn't show anything like that!
    Well this American believes they should give them up. I feel for them, at least the ones who have never been linked to cheating in their careers, but it is what it is.
    https://twitter.com/walnuthillstrak

Comment

Yeah, somehow the concept of "relay TEAM" just isn't sinking in.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        Yeah, somehow the concept of "relay TEAM" just isn't sinking in.
        Well clearly the US poll is biased. I'm sure the "team" part is sinking in but they are irrationally ignoring it. I bet if you asked a similar question related to basketball, where there is no doubt about the team aspect, you 'd get the same answer.

Comment

Re: Relay Medals [U.S. Poll Results]

Originally posted by Quarter Horse
          I don't want to discuss Marion Jones and her drug admission on this thread. I'm just curious to know if the people on this board believe that the members of the relay teams should also have to return their medals from 2000 and 2001.
          Unfortunately, they must. Michael Johnson and the other members of his 4x400 relay got to keep their medals despite the fact that Jerome Young ran in the heats, because the panel who voted in favor of maintaining the results agreed that it was a foregone conclusion that the U.S. would have made the final regardless of whomever ran in Jerome's place in the heats.

The same rule cannot apply to the women's 4x100 and 4x400. For one, Marion ran in the finals! That's where the medals are decided. For another, I believe her splits were 9.5 (or was it 9.4?) and 49.5. Who is to say they would have won a 4x100 bronze without her, after having lost Gail Devers and Inger Miller to injuries? And what of the 4x400? That race might have been much closer, or a fight for any medal without her.

Unfortunately, her participation in both finals taints both outcomes. Sad to say, the other girls must surrender their medals. Besides, shouldn't the 2001 U.S. women's World Championship 4x100 team have already surrendered their medals because of Kelli White?

Comment

I wonder how many of those 78 % thought that the Brits who lost their medals due to Chambers were just unlucky. Plenty for sure , but there is a strong flavour of ''one rule for us Americans and another for other nations'' throughout your country and it applies to more than Track and Field.

Of course, IOC and IAAF should remove medals from Relay Teams when one or more are guilty. And my view is the same irrespective of which country is the relay team in question.

Good to see that Dick Pound has asked the real question about the dreadful MJ. Never failed about 160 tests ?? Do we know that the American athletes in the team in 2000 all thought MJ was clean during her career. I do not buy that stuff.!!

Glad to see some posters on your Forum, can see the blindingly obvious.

You guys cant be lucky all the time , as was MJ with team mates like the Harrison brothers and Jerome Young( even though the latter was not in the final in 2000)

Comment

How's this for a solution? Declare the medals null and void, but don't bother asking for them back (make new ones for the rightful recipients). The current holders can decide for themselves whether they place any value in keeping them. Sell it on e-bay as a curio or keep it above the mantel.

Comment

Originally posted by bennyg
                I wonder how many of those 78 % thought that the Brits who lost their medals due to Chambers were just unlucky. Plenty for sure , but there is a strong flavour of ''one rule for us Americans and another for other nations'' throughout your country and it applies to more than Track and Field.

Of course, IOC and IAAF should remove medals from Relay Teams when one or more are guilty. And my view is the same irrespective of which country is the relay team in question.

Good to see that Dick Pound has asked the real question about the dreadful MJ. Never failed about 160 tests ?? Do we know that the American athletes in the team in 2000 all thought MJ was clean during her career. I do not buy that stuff.!!

Glad to see some posters on your Forum, can see the blindingly obvious.

You guys cant be lucky all the time , as was MJ with team mates like the Harrison brothers and Jerome Young( even though the latter was not in the final in 2000)
                MJ passed 160 tests, and she cheated, so all those tests were no good, right? Well, we know that she used the clear/cream that was not detectable at the time and that she admitted using for several years around the OGs. Did she use PEDs all of the rest of the time? Did she use during her comeback try and during her initial return to T&F? Did she use continually during the several years?

Comment

Originally posted by oldvaulter
                  Is this different from what I suggested above?
                  Speed reading is a bitch. ops:

Comment

Re: Relay Medals

This is a very interesting question from you James. Especially from you since I believe you have been in the same situation yourself!
                    Morten
                    I'm not sure if a formal request was ever issued to return my 4x4 WIC Silver Medal (2000), but I would have had no problem giving it back. [/quote]

who is this james? and there was no WIC in 2000???

Comment

Originally posted by cacique
                      This is a very interesting question from you James. Especially from you since I believe you have been in the same situation yourself!
                      Morten
                      I'm not sure if a formal request was ever issued to return my 4x4 WIC Silver Medal (2000), but I would have had no problem giving it back.
                      who is this james? and there was no WIC in 2000???[/quote]

Check the results and make a guess...

Comment

who is this james? and there was no WIC in 2000???
                        I think he means 2001, when James Davis ran in the Semi final.

With all this talk of MJ keeping his gold, the IAAF still list The USA as being DQ'd in Sydney! So officially, according to the governing body, Nigeria are the Olympic champions and Michael Johnson has one less Gold medal! Sometimes this sport gets confusing.

http://www2.iaaf.org/OLY00/results/index.asp

Comment

Working...
                        X