X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop the Alan Webb threads, they only promote Webb bashing

Just kidding

Re: Stop the Alan Webb threads, they only promote Webb bashi

With all my vast hacking knowledge, I am developing a super-virus that is triggered by any post with the word 'Webb' in it to attack the hard drive of the offending PC and permanently download a bakground and screensaver of Gabe, that cannot be changed. So post at your own risk.

Comment

I use a mac. No virus worries

Comment

you never heard of the worm in the apple?

Comment

I'm on a Mac too - but since they've effectively switched over to UNIX, expect the virus activity to pick up.

Don't stop Webb threads or anything else. If someone doesn't like something, they can ignore it.

Comment

"but since they've effectively switched over to UNIX, expect the virus activity to pick up."

Fas as I know you still have to target a virus at an operating system, and while Mac OSX is a variant of one of the BSDs that doesn't make it susceptible to viruses written for other systems derived from Unix too. Like Linux. Besides, what really matters is how many people are using them. Which is not enough to get too many virus writers wasting their time, so feel fairly safe with your mac.

There I said nothing about Allan Webb.

Comment

"I'm on a Mac too - but since they've effectively switched over to UNIX, expect the virus activity to pick up."

A modification to what I said above: Even if (or as) more people switch to Mac and Linux, they will still be better off than Windows users, because of the way Microsoft leaves the OS highly compromised right out of the box (you're root or Administrator by default), and because of how much more easily executables run on Windows.

Now let's see if this thread gets executed or not

Comment

I warned you Michael - you typed the W word in your post, and now I must unleash the deadliest virus ever created. I call it the 'World Wide Web Webb Walloper'. It takes a while to work, so if your computer crashes any time in the next couple of month's you can blame me.

Comment

Would that be Webb or Windoze?

Comment

...what really matters is how many people are
                    >using them. Which is not enough to get too many virus writers wasting their
                    >time, so feel fairly safe with your mac.

There I said nothing about Allan
                    >Webb.

There are a few virus writers out there with an eye on Jaguar, among other things. Don't be too comfortable.

I'll still stick with the Mac for now.

Comment

"There are a few virus writers out there with an eye on Jaguar, among other things. Don't be too comfortable"

Yeah I might have said Macs are still a lot safer than PCs running Windows, as opposed to saying feel fairly safe with your Mac. However, virus writers have a much bigger challenge facing them with Unix-derived OSs because of the way those operating systems handle executable files, and the way those systems make it harder to escalate privilege.

Comment

An Alan Webb thread begging us to stop posting Alan Webb threads.
                        Bizarro world!

Comment

LOL! Yes, just like the spam e-mails you get that is titled "How to stop spam"!

Comment

Apple computer are still the best. With an UNIX based operating system they no longer crash like they used to. There is now no intrinsic weakness within the G5. If there is any weakness in the Macintosh experience it is cost of ownership. The G5 tower is pretty expensive at 2 grand.

Comment

>There are a few virus writers out there with an eye on Jaguar, among other things. Don't be too comfortable. >>

Let them write away----any Machead with brains is already migrated over to Panther anyway!

Comment

Working...
                              X