Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Stop the Alan Webb threads, they only promote Webb bashi

Maybe the PC's are faster at data processing, while the Macs are faster at graphic rendering. Macs are tailored made for graphic and video professionals.
    The speed test can be designed to favor either the Mac or the PC. Macaddict magazine for example uses very graphic orientated tests when calculating processing speed.

Leave a comment:

• michael lewis
    replied

"it's funny how fast they withdrew those "World's Fastest PC" ads "

Tomshardware.com is to cutting-edge technology what T&FN is to track and field. Highly respected site which my best friend who writes drivers at ATI thanked me and called it "a gem of a site". Re: Macs being world's fastest PC's, Toms opined "Apparently there are some people who will believe these claims. Whatever."

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Re: Buy Apple instead of PC

I should of said Apple has been using the RISC processor since late 1993 when the first Power Macs were introduced.

Folks, check out Macaddicts 20 year MAC anniversary addition on sale now. There is a complete synopsis of Apple's interesting but checkered history.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I have no idea why

a. this perfectly good (i.e., bad) Webb thread is all about computers (even tho I started the virus thing)

and

b. what the hell you techno-geeks are talking about

but I do get the cosmic irony of this statement from the previous post:

"It is good Apple is now going with the IBM RISC processor."

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I beieve the G5 is still the fastest when it comes to various photoshop rendering tasks. Motorola really put Apple in a bind for the last few years by not releasing upgraded processors. It is good Apple is now going with the IBM RISC processor. Without processor production I don't know what the point of Motorola is. Can they survive on Cell Phones alone?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Panther won't help against determined bug writers ...

If you want to stuff a G4 into your old G3 (is it a blue & white) contact Sonnet. Don't listen to the naysayers either. Upgrading isn't much of a problem, unless you're technically challenged.

I like my Mac, but it's funny how fast they withdrew those "World's Fastest PC" ads after the dual 64 G5's less than stellar performance against single CPU Athlon and Pentium machines. Yes, we know software (and operating systems) aren't optimized for 64 bit ... yet ... but still, Apple should have had software up and ready to go when the G5 was released. FCP 4.1 is optimized, but ...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Have any of you guys tried putting a 1.0GHZ G4 processor in a 1998 G3 desktop. I hear it is possible.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>There are a few virus writers out there with an eye on Jaguar, among other things. Don't be too comfortable. >>

Let them write away----any Machead with brains is already migrated over to Panther anyway!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Apple computer are still the best. With an UNIX based operating system they no longer crash like they used to. There is now no intrinsic weakness within the G5. If there is any weakness in the Macintosh experience it is cost of ownership. The G5 tower is pretty expensive at 2 grand.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

LOL! Yes, just like the spam e-mails you get that is titled "How to stop spam"!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

An Alan Webb thread begging us to stop posting Alan Webb threads.
    Bizarro world!

Leave a comment:

• michael lewis
    replied

"There are a few virus writers out there with an eye on Jaguar, among other things. Don't be too comfortable"

Yeah I might have said Macs are still a lot safer than PCs running Windows, as opposed to saying feel fairly safe with your Mac. However, virus writers have a much bigger challenge facing them with Unix-derived OSs because of the way those operating systems handle executable files, and the way those systems make it harder to escalate privilege.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

...what really matters is how many people are
    >using them. Which is not enough to get too many virus writers wasting their
    >time, so feel fairly safe with your mac.

There I said nothing about Allan
    >Webb.

There are a few virus writers out there with an eye on Jaguar, among other things. Don't be too comfortable.

I'll still stick with the Mac for now.

Leave a comment:

• michael lewis
    replied

Would that be Webb or Windoze?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I warned you Michael - you typed the W word in your post, and now I must unleash the deadliest virus ever created. I call it the 'World Wide Web Webb Walloper'. It takes a while to work, so if your computer crashes any time in the next couple of month's you can blame me.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X