Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Michigan to drop M XC andT&F

I read this in USAToday today. Disturbing (trend?)

Re: Western Michigan to drop M XC andT&F

Here's a link: http://www.wmubroncos.com/

Comment

Did Western have a men's track team????

Comment

Interesting read, although it is from last season about the number of men's programs being cut in the Mid-American Conference:

http://www.trackshark.com/articles/2003/17.php

Comment

M.A.C. Male Athletics Canceled

Comment

I don't know a lot about Western Michigan U specifically, but this is a trend (Universities dropping non-revenue sports in the name of budget-cutting) that will be detrimental particularly to T&F, especially on the Men's side. The MAC has been notorious for cutting M XC and T&F teams such that a next step would be for them to drop it as a Championship sport. Will the Women's teams be far off, since they will never be revenue-producing either. If the MAC drops T&F, other Conferences will probably follow such that only the major Conferences will be able to support their non-revenue sports, including M & W XC and T&F. That would leave fewer spots for athletes to move to the next level (College), and therefore potentially affect the number of athletes to go further within T&F. What do you think? Am I that far off the wall? (personal attacks accepted in this forum). Thanks

Comment

>Did Western have a men's track team????

yes...george dales coached at western for years and years and retired (ira murchinson was one of his athletes)...a new coach was there now...but it's not over yet.....they will fight it....

Comment

Don't you mean Jack Shaw was their coach for years and years?

Comment

Yes, WMU has a Men's Track & Cross Country Team - a great tradition too.

NCAA Champions in Cross Country (twice during mid/late 1960s)

Many NCAA Track & Field All-Americans, including National Champions Ira Murchison (100M) and John Bork (800M)

George Dales coached the Broncos during 1950s and 1960s...Jack Shaw led the Men during the 70s, 80s, 90s and beyond; Western is currently Coached by Michael Turk.

Absolutely Ridiculous that the Western Michigan University Board of Trustees would poop-can Men's Track and Cross Country in order to cut $300,000 dollars from annual budget.

A school the size of WMU could add ten lousy bucks to yearly student fees and come up with that kind of pocket change.

See what I mean?

Comment

It is not just this conference. WVU and many others have dropped Track and CC. This is a national problem caused by Title 9. A university that has a Football team has to have equivalent opportunity for women and of course there is no women's sport with 100+ positions. Schools that keep their CC programs have unlimited women and are only allowed 10-15 men (Track + CC) to create this "equity". What you end up with is crippled mens teams and better women's teams. Unfortunately, no one cares about women's sports doing well so they send the whole sport down the garbage chute.

To fix this problem, we need to get rid of Title 9.

DMC

Comment

I agree that the INTERPERTATION of Title IX is partially to fault for T&F losses in the NCAA. But there is no reason whatsoever that any college football team anywhere needs 86 scholarships and 100+ roster spots. If the NFL can make due with half of that so can the NCAA. Scholarships need to be reduced in all sports to a maximum of starting positions available.

Comment

The answer is simple. Since the revenue producing sports are paying for the non-rev's (in most cases), make revenue producing sports exempt from the tyranny of Title IX.
                        There. Problem solved.
                        So, who wants to take this solution to the rabid Title-Niners?

Comment

>The answer is simple. Since the revenue producing sports are paying for the
                          >non-rev's (in most cases), make revenue producing sports exempt from the
                          >tyranny of Title IX.
                          There. Problem solved.

If you knew your facts then you'd realize that it's actually RARE that this is the case. A large majority of Div. I-A football programs run an annual deficit, including those at MAC schools. Only the Michigans, Ohio States, Miamis, Nebraskas, and Notre Dames of the world are actually netting profit.

Comment

If you knew your
                            >facts then you'd realize that it's actually RARE that this is the case. A
                            >large majority of Div. I-A football programs run an annual deficit, including
                            >those at MAC schools. Only the Michigans, Ohio States, Miamis, Nebraskas, and
                            >Notre Dames of the world are actually netting profit.

Relax BS Flag. I was over-simplifying the issue for the sake of humor. As a PAC-10 Coach, I'm aware of quite a few facts.

Comment

http://www.mactrack.net/forum/phpBB2/vi ... .php?t=199

Comment

Working...
                              X