• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Webb...

Some pics:

http://www.southregionrunning.com/clubnats.htm

Comment

"he wouldn't get sucked along in someone elses draft to claim victory by fractions of a second. You approve??? That's not talent. I'll send my praise when he runs from the front like you all think he's capable of."

Well if he's untalented, you're either talented and didn't run the race, or you're so phenomenally untalented that the discrepancy between your remarks and what you ought to be saying are making you ridiculous.

Comment

I wonder if Webb is motivated by all the criticism (+ or -) that he gets on these forums?

Could you imagine reading so many differing opinions about yourself?

I'll bet he checks these boards often to see what people are saying about him. Wouldn't you? All the support/bashing he recieves here should be extra incentive for him to get out there and prove himself in 04.

It should be interesting to see what he does this year in the 1500m.

Comment

I think Webb's success highlights an issue that I raised on another thread about American marathoners: Webb should consider moving up to the 5000 where his 1500 makes him much more competitive with the world elite. 3:55 is good, but won't get him in the top 10 at the Weltklasse. But he might be able to run in the 12:50s which will put him in contention for a medal, and he's shown that he can finish fast.

Comment

>for a medal, and he's shown that
            >he can finish fast.

Really, He barely outkicked a steeplechser who regularly gets run down by speedier Americans who don't show up on the radar on the world scene.

Comment

Re: Webb's next level

Webb is a miler plain and simple. He has yet to post a world class time at a longer distance.

Webb will run a 3:52 mile in 2004. EL. G and Krummenacker will push him at Prefontaine.
              Webb will be a strong Level two US miler next year.

Levels in US mile running since 1980

Level One (3:50 and under)

Steve Scott
              Sidney Maree
              Jim Spivey
              Joe Falcon
              Tim Harbour
              Steve Holman
              Tom Byers
              (Webb's main goal is to be among the elite US 7.)

Level two (3:51 - 3:52)

Jim Ryun
              John Gregorek
              Chuck Argon
              Tim Hacker
              Greg Masback
              (Hopefully by summer 2004 Webb will be betwen level two or level three)

Level three (3:53 - 3:56)

Robison
              Jason Lunn
              Brian Berryhill
              Gabe Jennings (2000 only)
              Leonard Hilton
              Alan Webb (2001 only)
              Jason Pyrah
              Terrance Herrington

Level four (3:57 - 4:01)

Just about all the Olympic Trial qualifiers fall into this catagory
              Alan Webb (2003)
              Dan Wilson
              Sage
              Hall

Level Five (4:02 - 4:10)

Semi professional. My local Rutgers team falls into this catagory.
              The local road racing hero also falls into this catagory.
              "You are a talented runner, but keep your day job."

Comment

<<Level two (3:51 - 3:52)

Jim Ryun>>

Sure going by time alone, but Ryun was so far ahead of his time that if he'd been running today I bet he'd go faster than the AR. At any rate a Level one in my books any day.

Comment

Webb running level 2 is more realistic than just suddenly becoming a 3:50 miler.

Comment

>I wonder if Webb is motivated by all the criticism (+ or -) that he gets on
                    >these forums?

So we can claim some of his success as our own?

I doubt he gives a rat's ass about the musings and rantings of internet armchair generals, myself included.

Comment

You are probably right, but I am sure that negative sports illustrated article stung a bit.

Actually, I am getting kind of tired talking about Webb. There are other US milers as good or better than Webb. Lets talk more about Robison, Krummenacker, Lunn, Stember, and Berryhill. All these guy have run 3:55 or faster recently. In a few years Webb will be the best American miler. Right now there are other runners that deserve more attention.

Rumor:
                      There is talk that Tom Byers has a son running a 4:00 mile as a Freshman at some college. That is all the information I have. Does anyone know about Byers son.

Comment

"Well if he's untalented, you're either talented and didn't run the race, or you're so phenomenally untalented that the discrepancy between your remarks and what you ought to be saying are making you ridiculous. "

Another M Lewis basterdized response. You have lost
                        the point of the whole discussion and once agian turned it personal. What is the matter with you?

Comment

>There
                          >are other US milers as good or better than Webb. >Robison,
                          >Krummenacker, Lunn, Stember, and Berryhill. All these guy have run 3:55 or
                          >faster recently.

I think Webb will do fine at the Trials, but I have said this before: watch out for the guys quietly doing their homework right now.

Comment

As far as Webb reading all this garbage, I bet he does, and I bet he laughs out loud at most of it. As was mentioned earlier, he probably uses it for grist in the mill as he runs. Alan - if you're reading this - we really are all big fans or we wouldn't waste so much time and energy talking about you!

Comment

<<I think Webb will do fine at the Trials, but I have said this before: watch out for the guys quietly doing their homework right now.>>

If it is a slow tactical affair a relatively unknown runner could win.

My Olympic Trial Picks

Lunn (3:36.55)
                              Berryhill (3:36.48)
                              Stember (3:55 mile)

Darkhorse
                              Robison (3:35.22) (the fastest runner, but the others have more experience in this kind of race.

Comment

>"Well if he's untalented, you're either talented and didn't run the race, or
                                >you're so phenomenally untalented that the discrepancy between your remarks and
                                >what you ought to be saying are making you ridiculous. "

Another M Lewis
                                >basterdized response. You have lost
                                the point of the whole discussion and once
                                >agian turned it personal. What is the matter with you?

What do you expect from a guy who finds Mutola attractive?

Comment

Working...
                                X