Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Osaka GB Team 4X100; Pickering 9.05 split?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osaka GB Team 4X100; Pickering 9.05 split?

From November T&FN. Same 9.05 as Gay and Bolt. Seems fast for a 6th place finsiher in the 100 semis, or just a result at the end of a too long season.

Was the Pickering leg on the straight or the curve; I believe Gay's was the curve and better than the other curves (obviously curve one is slow with the start).

Comment

Pickering ran a storming back straight in Osaka, I'm not at all surprised that his split was up with the best in the race. His greatest asset by far is raw speed - he has a fantastic top end. He has some learning to do about running a 100m race - his start isn't reliable enough and he runs tense - but he has all the raw attributes run with the best in due course. IMHO!

Justin

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Clouder
        Pickering ran a storming back straight in Osaka, I'm not at all surprised that his split was up with the best in the race. His greatest asset by far is raw speed - he has a fantastic top end. He has some learning to do about running a 100m race - his start isn't reliable enough and he runs tense - but he has all the raw attributes run with the best in due course. IMHO!

Justin
        I agree with the IMHO part!..
        ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Pickering definitely has great top end speed, and with some time should challenge sub-10 territory.

Comment

Assuming they timed these splits properly (i.e., timed the baton as it crossed the zone, not actually timing the runner), got to remember that Pickering's compontent could actually include runners 1-2-3, 1-2 or 2-3, so it's not just him that's being measured.

And vast differences can occur based on how good the handoff is and how much acceleration time occurred before the watch started on Pickering (anybody). One would guess he was probably at closer to full flight than the rest of them.

Comment

i'd have to say, perusing thru a lot of split data from pela's site in the past, i got the "ideal" anchor leg ( meaning baton from 300m to 400m ) as being ~ 1.0s quicker than their open 100m ability ( but off course no wind reading & ignoring component of 3rd guy )

for 2nd leg, i think differential may be even fractionally bigger as they have to receive baton & therefore need to spend some effort/energy/concentration on that

i'd still reckon 1.0s isn't bad conversion for 100m - 200m split & be generous enough to apply that to the runner

so, craig, currently, with ideal start, pick-up, no tension, etc shoud go about

~ 10.05

Comment

i found those back of envelope scratchings & it was actually related to jrm's data :

http://myweb.lmu.edu/jmureika/track/splits/

the sort of "ideal" anchor split your looking for is :

~ 100m time + 0.01s - RT - ( 0 to 10m split - 90 to 100m split )

( 0.01s added because anchor is running more than 100m - possibly upto 110m )

& you can work backwards from an anchor leg to open 100m time ( unknown wind everywhere)

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan
                  ... - but he has all the raw attributes run with the best in due course. IMHO!
                  You still sticking with Churandy Martina as your sprinting hope for the future? A friendly wager then - Pickering will finish ahead of Martina in Beijing, I say. The loser of the bet has to agree with everything the winner posts here for a week - waddya say paulie? :twisted:

Justin

Comment

Originally posted by JustinClouder
                    You still sticking with Churandy Martina as your sprinting hope for the future? A friendly wager then - Pickering will finish ahead of Martina in Beijing, I say. The loser of the bet has to agree with everything the winner posts here for a week - waddya say paulie? :twisted:
                    Justin
                    Martina seemed more talented than even the gold medalist, IMHO of course!!... I will accept your offer but I agree with you often enough that the payout if I lose will not be much stress and Id add that I can (not at all easily) envision Pickering squeeking in to the final but after such a poor showing at the '07WC there is no reason to favor him over Martina.
                    ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinClouder
                      Justin
                      Martina seemed more talented than even the gold medalist, IMHO of course!!... I will accept your offer but I agree with you often enough that the payout if I lose will not be much stress and Id add that I can (not at all easily) envision Pickering squeeking in to the final but after such a poor showing at the '07WC there is no reason to favor him over Martina.
                      I thought he looked good in the early rounds but not in the semi. It is probably more real rounds than he has ever run before and rather than incrementing up a bit in the semi he was down a bit, and might then have tightened up trying to reverse his fortunes (or lack thereof).

Comment

The loser of the bet has to agree with everything the winner posts here for a week - waddya say paulie? :twisted:
                        the protocol around here is that the loser of the bet is supposed to buy the winner a few pints, if they ever meet :shock: :P

Comment

I can (not at all easily) envision Pickering squeeking in to the final but after such a poor showing at the '07WC there is no reason to favor him over Martina.
                          i gotta go with paulie

wc final had one yank, with the 2 other broke-dicks getting broken early on

og year brings on the big simbas

in bejiing, i bet my bottom $ ( take it now, it's disappearing to pengo levels ) that the 3 yanks that they have there will be <9.90 calibre :

? tyson / ? dix / ?? mo/zebra/wally/x-man/ncaa winner/ ( ??? ) gatlin

i'd pretty much reckon all 3 will show this kinda form upto final, meaning, craig has only 5 places available in semis to qualify for final - 1 to safa, 1 to his cousin, 1 to at least 1 of his fellow jamas, 1 to an african, 1 to another african, 1 to a "marlon"...

we are running out fast for places for craig unless he goes <10 by then

Comment

[quote=Justin Clouder]
                            Originally posted by "Justin Clouder":1wjdpytb
                            ... - but he has all the raw attributes run with the best in due course. IMHO!

Justin[/quote:1wjdpytb]

If Martina finishes 5th in semi 1 and Pickering 6th in semi II (neither advancing), is it a tie, or does Martina get the nod? What if they have the same placing in different (non-advancing) semis? Smallest wind reading? :-)

Comment

Fastest reaction time.

Comment

Working...
                              X