Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd-place teams to Arky now national champs?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd-place teams to Arky now national champs?

Since the Hogs have vacated two national titles, does that mean the runners-up those years are now national champs? Who were the runners-up those years anyhow?

Re: 2nd-place teams to Arky now national champs?

See front page, they are appealing the ruling. i assume nothing will happen until they exhaust all avenues.

Comment

But what if they lose (which they almost certainly will)? Will there be new NCs for those years?

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol
        But what if they lose (which they almost certainly will)? Will there be new NCs for those years?
        Yes, and it goes deeper. Much, much deeper.

http://tinyurl.com/28cqvq

The university will vacate all NCAA, school and conference individual records as well as all individual meet results attained by the prospect (then a student-athlete) during the time he attended the institution and competed on the track team. Further, all team results from any competitions in which the student-athlete participated during the same time frame, as well as the record of the head coach, will be reconfigured to reflect the vacated records/results. This includes the 2004 and 2005 NCAA Division I Outdoor Track and Field Championships won by the institution. The reconfigurations will be recorded in all publications in which institutional track and field records are reported, including but not limited to institution media guides, internet websites, recruiting materials and institution and NCAA archives. Finally, any public reference to any team or individual performance that includes a vacated result shall be removed, including but not limited to athletics department stationery and banners displayed in public areas such as the venues in which the track and field team competes.
        There are no strings on me

Comment

Well, I Googled to try to find the runners-up for '04 and '05 but couldn't find them. Anybody know who they were?

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol
            Well, I Googled to try to find the runners-up for '04 and '05 but couldn't find them. Anybody know who they were?
            Florida in both years.

http://www.ncaa.org/library/records/spr ... ecords.pdf (Page 426)

http://www.ncaa.org/library/records/tra ... record.pdf

Comment

Florida both years? In that case, the title shall just be vacated and there shall be no national champion for those shall two years.

guru, are you sure about that? Here's hoping the Hogs win their appeal! I think they will! They have a hell of a case!

Comment

Originally posted by guru
                Yes, and it goes deeper. Much, much deeper.

http://tinyurl.com/28cqvq

The university will vacate all NCAA, school and conference individual records as well as all individual meet results attained by the prospect (then a student-athlete) during the time he attended the institution and competed on the track team. Further, all team results from any competitions in which the student-athlete participated during the same time frame, as well as the record of the head coach, will be reconfigured to reflect the vacated records/results. This includes the 2004 and 2005 NCAA Division I Outdoor Track and Field Championships won by the institution. The reconfigurations will be recorded in all publications in which institutional track and field records are reported, including but not limited to institution media guides, internet websites, recruiting materials and institution and NCAA archives. Finally, any public reference to any team or individual performance that includes a vacated result shall be removed, including but not limited to athletics department stationery and banners displayed in public areas such as the venues in which the track and field team competes.
                Wow. I guess history is whatever the authorities deem it to be eh?

Justin

Comment

Yeah, just ask Ben Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    Yeah, just ask Ben Johnson.
                    LOL, yes indeed. I kept thinking the same thing when hearing Francis Obikwelu described as a double Euro 100m champ.

Justin

Comment

With Gay losing his individual performances as well, will this cause T&FN to re-evaluate their yearly rankings in the affected events?

Comment

I promise you that the athletes and coaches of those University of Florida teams deserve those two national championships. It's just a shame that it is happening years after all of their hard work.

Comment

With Gay losing his individual performances as well, will this cause T&FN to re-evaluate their yearly rankings in the affected events?
                          But he still ran the races. Didn't Devonish keep his fast 100m time when he ran in both the B and A race, despite his A race being a technical DQ? I seem to remember gh saying they would not throw out the time for ranking purposes.

Originally posted by In another thread gh
                          http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=26102

The Devonish mark, of course, will appear on the T&FN lists and be used in the World Rankings calculations. We always ignore these kinds of "procedural" rulings that don't violate the actual rules of competition.
                          So would this be a "procedural" ruling?

Comment

I'm a Gator fan, but this all seems silly to me. I understand that the NCAA says that Arkansas broke the rules and has to forfeit the title. But Gay ran those races and won them, and revisionist history doesn't change that. Punish the institution, but not the individuals. If the 'crimes' were more significant, I'd acquiesce, but not for what actually happened. Let the punishment fit the crime.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                              But he still ran the races. Didn't Devonish keep his fast 100m time when he ran in both the B and A race, despite his A race being a technical DQ? I seem to remember gh saying they would not throw out the time for ranking purposes.

Originally posted by In another thread gh
                              http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=26102

The Devonish mark, of course, will appear on the T&FN lists and be used in the World Rankings calculations. We always ignore these kinds of "procedural" rulings that don't violate the actual rules of competition.
                              So would this be a "procedural" ruling?
                              In T&FN's eyes, this is indeed a "procedural" ruling. My NCAA history, for example, lists Isaac Curtis and Billy Mullins in their proper places in the '70 and '78 results, with a footnote that they were subsequently declared ineligible by the NCAA.

Doesn't change the fact that in all the cases (including Gay's) the NCAA did the right thing regards eligiiblity to run for national titles.

Comment

Working...
                              X