Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop Bashing

To you Americans who continue to get on this man s back - Alan Webb - in these forum stages: do not be so harsh on this athlete.

He is trying the best he knows how, and receiving the best training and racing opportunities which fit his long-term fitness level. He will have some great days, and a lot of hard, I-dont-like-this-training type of days. He - nor David Krummenacker - will be able to run their potential every meet year-in and year-out. IF THEY DO: How long will they last on the scene? Said Aouita crushed everyone nearly every time he raced from 1984-1990. But he raced himself out. Then Morceli stepped up and out after all of his sub-3.30s. El G is in a one-person dominating class, and his own body is able to withstand the pressure of running 3.26-3.29 on a consistent yearly basis. Yet even he, in all his consistent glory, has backed off the racing schedule over the past two seasons.

Hope in your hearts that your own athletes in your country will do well, and that they will someday be near the top in their events, so that the entire world will have more competition, want to look at the USA in a positive light, and look forward to competing against your athletes.

Right now, some of you as fans are dampening the atmosphere of good will and good fortune which surrounds athletics. Some athletes will have very bad days - even weeks, months and seasons. But they try, continue trying, and sometimes make it to a high level.

Has your Bob Kennedy given up hope of ever running under 13.00 again for 5000 meters?

If you were given up for crap when you hit a lull in your PR event - let s say two or three years where you didn t PR or win nationals, did America (or in case you were not no. 1, your family or friends) get all over your back and call you washed up? Or a loser?

When Said Aouita raced valiantly against Morceli at the world championships - despite having his best years behind him - did you get on Aouitas back with all of your friends around? Or are you using this forum as a chance to bark and scream because the forum itself provides you a chance to be heard?

Alan Webb is a human being. He is an athlete. We have all competed (I take that for granted) at some level, and know how much work we put into our events - and still were not the best in our countries - or the world. But we tried, and continue trying.

Your emphasis in America is completely wrong; you bark at those who show promise early but do not fulfill your own expectations. Do not forget that the athletes you sponsor now with your cheering and good-will, are the athletes who tomorrow, despite their race results, will be thankful for your support, and gracious in a time of apparent defeat.

Re: Stop Bashing

I say we try to break the Alan Webb all-time thread post record....that's more important. Here we go people, I'm post number 2!

Comment

"Your emphasis in America is completely wrong; you bark at those who show promise early but do not fulfill your own expectations."

Nobody who posts on this board and is an American is likely to support you if you use phrasing like that. I'm not sure what country you're from, but you should come down off your high horse.

That said, there are actually alot of people on these boards who agree with some of your points (myself included, and I am an American); all you need to do is read the Webb threads to see that there are a significant number of posters who have argued against bashing Webb. I also agree that people have been too quick to jump on Webb.

Still, Nike pays him $250,000 per year to do nothing but run fast, and at some point, he should start earning it. He has not done so yet, unless his 3:58 at the Pre Classic qualifies.

Comment

Still, Nike pays him
        >$250,000 per year to do nothing but run fast, and at some point, he should
        >start earning it. He has not done so yet, unless his 3:58 at the Pre Classic
        >qualifies.

He's a national champion. Yes, it's an obscure part of the sport but, because it is Alan Webb, the meet is getting, and will get, much more coverage than it normally does. He was also the top American at one of the oldest and most prestigious races in the country a couple of weeks ago. And this all not too long after reasonably serious surgery.

Comment

"He's a national champion. Yes, it's an obscure part of the sport but, because it is Alan Webb, the meet is getting, and will get, much more coverage than it normally does. He was also the top American at one of the oldest and most prestigious races in the country a couple of weeks ago. And this all not too long after reasonably serious surgery."

MJD: point taken about the cross championship. That is certainly a great accomplishment, and it was not my intention to take away from it.

However, as you admit, it is an obscure championship. Alan Webb is a 1500m runner. He gets paid to run the 1500m, and that is where his focus must lie. Next year's Olympics is far more important than any cross-country race in December 2003.

It is one thing to succeed in a race with no pressure and where nobody is watching; it is quite another to succeed on the world stage with everyone watching. In June 2001, Alan Webb flashed the sort of potential that suggested he might be the next great American miler. Fulfillment of that potential means success in world-class 1500m races, not victories in U.S. cross-country contests.

Comment

I have to second everything that shaka says, but I also have to admit that "what's more important's" response is the funniest thing I've seen on the forum!

Comment

It's funny, yes, but we laugh to keep from crying! Here we go to another 150-post thread on the World Wide Webb. Just say no.

Comment

However, as you admit, it is an obscure
                >championship. Alan Webb is a 1500m runner. He gets paid to run the 1500m, and
                >that is where his focus must lie. Next year's Olympics is far more important
                >than any cross-country race in December 2003.

The fact that he won it though has made it less obscure and one could argue that, as a result, he is already earning his pay. As far as Nike is concerned, as long as we're talking about him, which clearly people are doing, they are probably happy. Also, if he can just qualify and get over there, Nike will get a return on their investment in spades because the coverage(at least in the US) will be extensive. You even have the "come back" angle both from surgery and not living up to people's expectations. We've managed to make him into an underdog and the networks will lap that up. As far as being a 1500 meter runner vs anything else, as long as he's winning whatever he is doing, Nike's only concern is that they spell his name right.

Comment

Winning a national championship of whatever flavor is a great accomplishment; but it means little on the international stage in a mediocre distance-running country like the USA. It's no better than being the USA national mile or 1500 champion. I don't think NIKE is paying Webb just to be the best American.

But I'm thrilled he's making progress!

Comment

I think Alan Webb will be a very good runner for another 10 years and challenge for many national titles. I'm not totally convinced that most of them will or should be at the 1500m / mile but there will be many.

The question is, is this because he is a very talent runner who works hard or because the state of US running is rather depressed.

The answer is: Both.

This is my first and last Webb post on this thread. (I posted to say I contibuted to the pending record)

Comment

Working...
                    X