X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver Post article on Ritz

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_7315690

edit: also linked by epelle in Marathon Trials thread

I think Brad was mistook correlation with cause-effect. Just because Ritz hasn't been injured at sea level doesn't mean that altitude training caused Ritz' injuries.

Never-the-less, Ritz is better prepared, word has it, this time for the marathon. It can be a brutal beast and not remotely as easy as a 10k or half-marathon. The OT course, though, adds a dimension to the race for those accustom to tracks and speed courses: hills, many of them, over and over. Five laps on Central Park's road loop is going to hurt their quads and calves badly over time. Perhaps Ritz will fare well because he's a decent hill runner?

If I bet on anyone to make the team, regardless of place, it will be on Culpepper. He has experience of doing well in the marathon, runs hills really well, and has the kind of mental toughness that champions possess. He may not have the talent or the youth of a Hall or Abdi on his side, but he's almost a sure thing competitor.

Ritz is a mystery. He ran a 2:14 marathon the first time out. But, does that mean he will run so modestly again (modestly for someone who's run mid 27s in the half-marathon, that is)? I am betting he will do better. He's probably learned his lessons. Patience is important. Doing really long workouts at a good clip is important. Hydration and fuel managment are important. What I don't know about is his tapering / peaking routine. Has it improved? Has it left him flat? Has it helped him peak. The mystery will unfold Saturday on the fourth loop, I predict.

Comment

Ritz ran 2:14 but faded badly and was running 2:11 or so until near the end. BTW, I think going out a bit hard in that race was probably the correct strategy for him, because it put him in position to find out what happens at that 'edge'. I am pretty sure that he has done a lot more long and sustained workouts this time around.

Comment

I think Ritz's stock was a bit undervalued on the Marathon Trials Perdiction thread. I'm gonna say Abdi, Hall, and Ritz.

edit: Was going to edit, but I guess perdictions is what we make afore the Derby goes off.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
          Ritz ran 2:14 but faded badly and was running 2:11 or so until near the end. BTW, I think going out a bit hard in that race was probably the correct strategy for him, because it put him in position to find out what happens at that 'edge'. I am pretty sure that he has done a lot more long and sustained workouts this time around.
          Problem being, the first half of last years race was one of the slowest recorded in NYCM history. They didn't go out hard at all.

If he puts this one together, credit the megamagneto. If not, then blame it on the megamagneto.

Comment

megamagneto = Brad Hudson?

malmo - If it is Brad, how did he get that nickname?

Comment

Comment

wow!

that's nasty.

Comment

malmo -

Is that last stretch on Fox Hollow Road? That's a dangerous son of a gun! I ran on that a few times and coming down the puppy toward Amazon Rd is hard on the shins.

Did you run the megamaneto when you lived in Eugene?

Comment

Working...
                  X