Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Men's Marathoning - the worst 10 months ever?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Men's Marathoning - the worst 10 months ever?

This will certainly change after the Olympic Trials on Saturday but the boxscore for the first ten months of 2007:

* number of US men marathon times sub-2:16:40 = 1 (Hall 2:08:24)

* number of rest of the world marathon times sub-2:16:40 = 568 (at least with some other performances probably not reported)

The "class" of the year, of course, having nothing to do w/ the marathoners themselves, and everything to do w/ the timing of the Trials, which pretty much forced most top-end people to maintain exceedingly low profiles. If Hall hadn't needed to get his debut out of the way, he wouldn't even have had one.

Abdi and Culpepper haven't run one, KK and Meb both DNFed London.

And depending on the toughness of the NYC course (has anybody ventured any cogent guesses on that score?), who knows how the year will look time-wise even after the OT?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
      If Hall hadn't needed to get his debut out of the way, he wouldn't even have had one.
      And not to split hairs here, but with his track performances, Hall didn't even "need" to have a debut until this Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
        Originally posted by gh
        If Hall hadn't needed to get his debut out of the way, he wouldn't even have had one.
        And not to split hairs here, but with his track performances, Hall didn't even "need" to have a debut until this Saturday.
        great point

a few africans have gone 2"06 on debut & huge numbers < 2"10

with hall's 1/2M time, there was very little doubt he was going to go well below <2"10 on london debut, but one has to ask, if he was geared up all year for this trials race, why on earth did he really need to run on a flat, rabbited course like london which is a million miles away from anything like this trials race ?

Comment

The forecast for Saturday is a morning low of in the 40s, with 45 at 9 and 52 at noon with winds of 6-8mph (that is at 10m, ground level it should be less, except for on the bridges.

As for Hall, He grew up in the mountains and has run plenty in the hills and should not have difficulties with the ups and downs except as they accumulate fatigue over the 42k.

I think is decision to race in London was absolutely correct. This is a guy whose ultimate dream is NOT making the team but making the podium. The thing he needs is to run with the big dogs and he was running with the biggest dogs we have in that race. That he dropped several of them will bolster his confidence, while the problems after 35k let him know better what to expect.

Comment

i was looking at the world list's and besides the usa, marathon power japan does not have anyone under 210 yet, and only 2 runners in the top 100, like the usa will most likely have sub 210 times saturday, japan should have some sub 210's at their yearly big race december 2nd in fukuoka.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
              The forecast for Saturday is a morning low of in the 40s, with 45 at 9 and 52 at noon with winds of 6-8mph (that is at 10m, ground level it should be less, except for on the bridges.
              Race starts at 7:35, and goes over no significant bridges (you're thinking of the NYCM course).

Agree completely re: London. Why not run against the best? That's the (a) point of the sport, right?

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
                Originally posted by gh
                My sense of "need" had nothing to do w/ a Q mark (I'm well aware of that nuance).

I was meaning that you can do all the projecting from smaller distances and long training ones you want, but I don't see it as good tactics to try to make the Oly team in your debut at a race that demands so much of your body. Forewarned is forearmed.

Comment

The first 2.2 km are on the city streets. The rest of the race is a combination of 4 and 5+ mile loops in Central Park using the same finish as the ING NYCM at the Tavern on the Green.

Comment

Oh yeah, and we published a profile of the course elevation, which varies from 50ft to 150. Looks like 10 cycles. That much up/down certainly isn't Berlin Speedway-like.

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/asset/ ... Slider.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      And depending on the toughness of the NYC course (has anybody ventured any cogent guesses on that score?), who knows how the year will look time-wise even after the OT?
                      Not a guess. It's the same terrain that produces 22:30 8ks every year by Americans. Reports of course toughness are highly overstated.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        Oh yeah, and we published a profile of the course elevation, which varies from 50ft to 150. Looks like 10 cycles. That much up/down certainly isn't Berlin Speedway-like.

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/asset/ ... Slider.jpg
                        I'm not sure what map you were looking at? It was not the map to the link you provided. That map shows elevation oscillations from about 55 - to 120 feet.

Comment

Running those sharp little hills over and over again for 26 miles can't be easy.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            I was meaning that you can do all the projecting from smaller distances and long training ones you want, but I don't see it as good tactics to try to make the Oly team in your debut at a race that demands so much of your body. Forewarned is forearmed.
                            Not to get into Board Honcho suck-up mode, but I agree with that completely. Hall was smart to run a full marathon at essentially full speed ahead of time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by unclezadok
                              Running those sharp little hills over and over again for 26 miles can't be easy.
                              Running 26 miles downhill with the wind to your back isn't easy either.

Comment

Working...
                              X