Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 100m rematch

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet. Apparently a group of Koreans are putting together a rematch of the '88 final and have everybody but Christie committed.

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/co ... 28,00.html

Re: 1988 100m rematch

>I'm surprised no one has posted this yet.

Check again.
    http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/di ... hread=2910

Comment

This race is pointless. What will be accomplished by re-running the 1988 final?

Comment

>This race is pointless. What will be accomplished by re-running the 1988
        >final?

Pointless compared to what? If there is a demand for it and people are willing to pay the participants, let them have at it. Close to 60000 fans braved ridiculous temps to see an outdoor hockey game between Montreal and Edmonton oldtimers last month. I don't really understand the concept but that is what free enterprise is all about. It can't be any worse than the reality TV wasteland most of the masses watch now. Have you turned on a set lately? What is on there now makes Survivor look like high art.

Comment

I demand a rerun of the 1972 Olympic basketball final, the 1968 Olympic 1500, and the entire 1965 track season (no good reason, but it would be fun!).

Comment

Get Allyson Felix in there to put the whole thing in perspective.

Comment

Sorry about the non track & field post, but in years past most hockey kids grew up playing the game outdoors (like myself). Now many more young kids don't learn to skate at the local outdoor rinks, but at an indoor rink.

That outdoor game was nostaglic, especially because they felt they could have sold ten times the number of tickets for that game.

Please don't compare this track & field rematch to a real-life professional hockey game! That hockey game was a legit thing, unlike the farce of re-running this race.

Comment

Why are people so upset about this race, The Koreans want it, it is in their country, and it will be a huge success because it will be done either before or after the soccer match, And remember the soccer team reached the semifinals at the World cup so the Olympic Stadium will be filled with people. Television will be there This is nothing to laugh at. You guys also don't know people in Asia adore Ben. And Canadiads after learning about other positives feel he has been punished too much. You guys just cant forgive Ben, Why? someome explain it to me please, and before some American start ranting remember your star athlete should not have been in that race if TAC reported its positives. and also recall Denis Mitchel had a broblem, Christie later had a broblem. I could understand if he was the first athlete to have ever tested positive, but there were many before him and there will be others in the future.Leave the man alone, By the way I see him at the track center doing starts no one in the world could or can start like that he is just as good from the bolcks, he just jumps out , even people who dislike him would be amazed. that does not come from drugs, that is talent, an awesome , one of a kind human, accept it

Comment

Hell, I'd get my butt out there an run for a chance at a million dollars! All you have to do is pull a Tonya Harding "whack-em" job on the other sprinters and voila! Instant winner!

Kurt

Comment

I think it's hilarious that Linford is demanding testing!

On a side note, Angella, it's always good to hear from former international athletes but you may want to tone down your posts here. IMHO you're in danger of losing your credibility by writing multiple posts that could be categorized as rants.

Comment

I was and still am a big Ben fan ... Yeah he used drugs, but it wasn't pills rolling down that track ... It was a man who had perfected his craft ... Unfortunately the fact that he had used drugs tainted all that ...

Having said that, I'm still not excited about this race ... I remember watching Jim Hines come out of retirement to "race" again ... Watched him at the Modesto relays ... Little pot belly ... And none of the grace and power that this "legend" once had ... It was not the way that I would have wanted to remember Mr. 9.95 ... And while I have no doubt that Ben may still be working out and in excellent shape, there will be 7 other individuals in that race ... And I doubt if the majority have been training for the past 15 years waiting for this race to develop ... Seoul '88 was one of those once in a lifetime races ... I'd like to remember it that way ...

Comment

>Please don't compare this
                        >track & field rematch to a real-life professional hockey game! That hockey
                        >game was a legit thing, unlike the farce of re-running this race.

You completely missed my point which that it is all supply and demand and it doesn't matter whether some think that it's pointless. I am not comparing the 2 events. And I was referring to the game before the real game. 60000 people were not there to watch the professional players-they were there to watch the retired guys like Gretzky. That was an exhibition game too. Quite frankly, no more "legit", whatever that is supposed to mean.

Comment

sorry Marknhj
                          I just in the last 2 days discovered that Track and Field news was on the internet and responded to some threads. I will get bored I always do
                          Cheers

Comment

>sorry Marknhj
                            I just in the last 2 days discovered that Track and Field news
                            >was on the internet and responded to some threads. I will get bored I always
                            >do
                            Cheers

No problem Angella...sometimes these threads turn into pissing matches. It can get nasty then the T&F guys ban people!

Comment

>Why are people so upset about this race...

Here is someone else that is upset about the race. Ya gotta love couch potatoes like Maki. Like Angella says about Ben, these guys are all likely in better shape than Maki could ever have dreamed about being in his entire life even when he was at his "peak" whatever state that may have been.

"But if we have to draw the line on this legends-in-sport thing — and here's saying we do — let's draw it at geezers on track."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... ry/Sports/

Comment

Working...
                              X