X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MJD
    replied
    Re: 1988 100m rematch

>fischer and spassky were still elite level players in 1992....

top 100-200
    >range

That's what I said. 101st. Fischer wasn't ranked. He wasn't playing. The interest in the rematch had nothing to do with their skills which is really the point as far as this thread is concerned.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

fischer and spassky were still elite level players in 1992....

top 100-200 range

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

><does anyone remember the fisher/spasky rematch?>

Just for your information
    >"skyin brian", both of these grand masters were on top of their game at the
    >time of their match. It was a true world championship match, not a circus
    >performance.

He is talking about their rematch. A little history here since I followed the first match with great interest in 72. When they agreed to meet in 92, Spassky was ranked 101st in the world and Fischer had dropped out of sight for 20 years. If anything, these guys were even further past their prime than the sprinters in question. Nonetheless, the 92 rematch generated considerable interest-enough to have a 5 million dollar purse.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied

<does anyone remember the fisher/spasky rematch?>

Just for your information "skyin brian", both of these grand masters were on top of their game at the time of their match. It was a true world championship match, not a circus performance.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

I know who
    >AI hater is, thank god for people like him in our running community.

Ok this has strayed into trivia territory. Where are stevehj197, tn and Satch? We got a male, Penn State, Pacific Sport and Atlanta.

The only members of Canada's 1996 Olympic team that are current members of
    Pacific Sport are:

Jeff Schiebler-University of BC
    Graham Hood-Arkansas
    Bruce Deacon-Simon Fraser University
    Carey Nelson-UBC

Kevin Sullivan and Joel Bourgeios were both members of the 1996 Olympic
    team. Neither of them are members of Pacific Sport and neither of them
    attended Penn State.

Zach Whitmarsh graduated from East Tennessee and he was not a member of the
    1996 Olympic team.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I'm surprised that Network TV hasn't jumped on the concept for their next reality series.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

you are being totally ignorant, there is no need to get angry just have a rational conversation.I love track and field and inspite of your anamosity to Angella I wish you guys all the best in preparation for the Olympics.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

to goose, well thanks to you we know where AI hater lives. he is angry ouch| anyways you do not know the story . If you were at the world cup trials in Venuezela in 81 then you would retract those last statements. A certain thrower giving testostrone shots, AI does not need to appologize. If any one needs an apology its France Gareau she was the one who competed without drugs . Only talk about what you know.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>to full time sport
    you guys in BC are setting the world on fire arn't you? and
    >do not blame Athletics Canada for setting the standards too high. The fact is
    >you guys inspite of the generosity of the Americans cannot make the standards
    >to represent your Country.and you will present another excuse "but we are
    >running clean". The Americans have no trouble making the standards, but lets
    >see they have talent.

Hey Kent , or are you actually Angela Juice-inko, ha ha. Listen dude , stay in Toronto with A I . Glad she is coaching,

Canada needs more 10 and 12 year old sprinters who can shoot up with roids all by themselves. PLEASE make sure they read the steroid excuse thread first. They may need it.
    Wasn't A i 's excuse at the Dubin Enq, " She had to take the pills because she is stupid " . cheers ma man

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Kent you ignoramous, No one made excuses about standards , You are correct though , we are a training group in BC , 6 runners here have Olympic experience , 11 have CommonWealth Games Exp. We think Athletics Canada Standards are high , this is good. Americans runners that train here are our friends , when we travel south we are treated warmly by USATF people. We thank them. A I Hater is one of us, he has strong opinions , but he lives by his values, and runs clean. Our generation do not think much of Ben Johnson, a human who can barely spit out a complete sentance. I wonder if A I has ever appologized to the women who finished 2nd to her at Nationals. That women was robed at the chance to experience crossing the tape first at a National Championship because A I was juiced to the hilt. Chill out Kent old man .

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

to full time sport
    you guys in BC are setting the world on fire arn't you? and do not blame Athletics Canada for setting the standards too high. The fact is you guys inspite of the generosity of the Americans cannot make the standards to represent your Country.and you will present another excuse "but we are running clean". The Americans have no trouble making the standards, but lets see they have talent.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

does anyone remember the fisher/spasky rematch?
    yes im talking about chess but involved players past their prime but was something that was interesting and people wanted to see with a considerable amount of money at stake.
    ill gladly watch the race. it will be great entertainment. couldnt turn out worse than mj vs baily.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

to goose stepper,Why do you guys have to be so insultive.You guys take this more seriously than the athletes who actually train and compete. They must be just rolling on the floor with laughter of how worked up you get about them.I certainly know a few and believe me they are not as obsessive about their own event as you are.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

>No one said anything about Donovan Bailey's winter training or how nice the
    >USATF is to you.

Read the posts; we're talking about the NCAA system as
    >generosity to foreign athletes

I thought the thread was about the 88' 100m rematch race. You read the thread bean brain.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

How about a re-match of the 1972 Olympic Pole Vault! Now there was some controversy there! Although not tactful nor sportsman-like, it sure would've been nice to watch Seagren stick his borrowed poles right up a few IAAF official's asses! I would've paid good money for a ring-side seat for that show!

Kurt

Leave a comment:

Working...
X