Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1988 100m rematch

10.39am Pacific
    Jim Rome's talking about the rematch right now on the radio...ridiculing it would me more accurate. More positive media for T&F...

Comment

Jim Rome is right to ridicule this race. Jim Rome is an a$shole and his rants usually do not appeal to me, but he is right in this case.

MJD posed an economic argument in favor of this race; I have of course not done any market research on this subject, but if there is great demand for this race, so be it (although I sort of doubt it).

However, I am thinking more about the health of our sport. What good will this race do for our sport? What is the point of it, and what will it accomplish?

While we're at it, let's re-run the following races:

1. The women's 400m from the 1983 world championships
      2. The men's 400m hurdles from the 1972 Olympics
      3. The men's steeple from the 1987 world championships
      4. The women's 200m from the 1976 Olympics

What is the point of re-running these races, you ask? There is absolutely no point. Just like there is no point to re-running the 1988 Olympic men's 100m final.

Comment

Actually, Merlene Ottey should go in the race. She's about as old as the guys and would probably kick all their asses.

Comment

>Jim Rome is right to ridicule this race. Jim Rome is an a$shole and his rants
          >usually do not appeal to me, but he is right in this case.

I used to despise him too and loved it when Chris Everett (was that his name?)attacked him on his TV show when Rome was calling him Chrisie. Over the last few years though I've grown to like him a great deal, he has good takes on most sports although I do get pissed when he rubbishes football (the one played with your feet).

Comment

I like the idea of the rerun and I'll look forward to watching it. No one in their right mind would expect these guys to be 100% fit again and the race should be viewed as entertainment. If I were one of the 8, I'd love to be involved.

I think AI Hater's "arguments" are a little out of line. Athletes' actions are one part of it, but the structures of the sport, both in Canada and abroad, have played a big role in the direction(s) track & field has taken. Personally, I've appreciated Angella's candor during and since the Dubin inquiry. I don't mind at all that she's coaching, and I agree with everything she says about Ben.

I also think it's a bit funny that IA Hater would go on about the effect that the Mazda club had on Canadian athletics without acknowledging that competing for Penn State probably didn't do much for our program either.

Comment

<This guy is implying that this is worse than anything and I don't agree.>

MJD, I am not saying it's worse. I am saying it's as much of a mindless circus as all of those others. There is no need to quantify the degree of nonsense.
              "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
              by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

MJD, I am not saying it's worse. I am saying it's as much of a
                >mindless circus as all of those others. There is no need to quantify the degree
                >of nonsense.

I'm not saying you're saying that either pego. I'm saying Maki did. The problem is that he is just picking on track and none of the other mindless spectacles and that makes it "poisonel".

Comment

>Jim Rome...

...the guy is an idiot.

Comment

"I also think it's a bit funny that IA Hater would go on about the effect that the Mazda club had on Canadian athletics without acknowledging that competing for Penn State probably didn't do much for our program either."

I know who AI hater is, thank god for people like him in our running community. 80% of Canada's Nation Track Team are NCAA trained. Canada would not have a "program" if not for the generosity of our American friends.

Comment

Hehe, Raymond Stewart will kick their arses.
                      why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

"Canada would not have a "program" if not for the generosity of our American friends."

The US collegiate system hardly accounts for all of Canada's successes. But although I am not AI hater, I agree with a lot of what he said.

Comment

to M lewis
                          she would fit right in with Ben, Carl, Dennis and especially Linford---they tested positive for the same drug did'nt they, only she had a beter argument to present to the IAAF

Comment

Linford says no-
                            http://sport.guardian.co.uk/athletics/s ... 55,00.html

Comment

"Canada would not have a "program" if not for the generosity of our American friends."

We certainly wouldn't have the same program, and that would be a good thing.

Generosity... hee hee. That's a good one.

Comment

>"Canada would not have a "program" if not for the generosity of our American
                                >friends."

We certainly wouldn't have the same program, and that would be a
                                >good thing.

Generosity... hee hee. That's a good one.

Maybe your correct , Donovan Bailey training in
                                sub zero Winnipeg before the Olympics instead of Flagstaff Az ! Get with it man , why is it so hard for Canadians like you , to step back and thank our neighbors. The running group I'm with sure appreciates the generousity of the USATF towards us in BC.

Comment

Working...
                                X