replied
    Re: 1988 100m rematch

I concur whole heartedly. Well stated.

Leave a comment:

• Hulk
    replied

>and you are...?

Hmm... Sister who works in television, poster has moved on to "new life" of singing and acting. Oops, it didn't say that. I think we're supposed to believe this is a retired athlete who in the interests of anonymity we'll just call Carl L. -- no, wait, that's too obvious -- let's call him C. Lewis...

[eyes rolling]

Leave a comment:

• warp 11
    replied

and you are...?

Leave a comment:

• retired
    replied

My sister who works in television sent me a message and asked me to set the record straight on this message board about the 1988 100 meter rematch. I have not agreed to and will not run this race for any price. I have never agreed to, or said that I would. I have said this many times to every one that has asked me. However, no matter what I say, the message just doesn’t seem to get out. Again, I would not run this race for ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY. I have a new life, and do not want to look back, and I do not need the money. Enjoy the games this summer, and keep up your support for track and field. The athletes really need and appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

Actually, this was the link I meant to post. I was going to put it on the Lindgren thread but would have been replying to myself. This is a way better article and shows just how eccentric the guy is/was(like some think GL is/was):

"We spent a day with his lawyer discussing the knight," said one official. "Fischer said the horse's nose was too long."

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/news/story/ ... 34,00.html

Kind of like Steve Martin demanding that the letter "M" get removed from the alphabet.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

That's reaching for a relevant link! (but damned interesting nonethless)

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

>fischer and spassky were still elite level players in 1992....

"Tokyo — Former world chess champion Bobby Fischer, wanted by the United States since 1992 for playing a tournament in Yugoslavia despite
    UN sanctions, has been detained in Japan, clearing the way for his extradition."

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/sto ... ry=fischer

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Yeah, it's amasing what drugs will do for even 40year old like Troy!!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I'm all for this race, for the entertainment. But no money - except from shoe companies, who want to show buyers that their shoes will help age-40+ sprinters to better times. Age 40 record is 10.29 (Troy Douglas,Netherlands,'03) If they beat that, then it's 'newsworthy'. (and forget the 'drugs' factor.) p.s.- age records are fun -and if this race comes off, let's give 'em some props if there is one.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

it will not happen, lewis and christie will not run. anyway it is another attempt at prostituting the sport. shameless people who want to make money. johnson has been history for 15 yrs people dont you get it ?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

...I suspect they'd be RE-scrambled...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

The talk of Johnson running 10.2 is just that talk, I remember back in 2000 his agent stated he was running 10 flat(ROFLMAO) (yet when he got caught with juice in 93' he still hadn't approached this time), then when reporters timed him he ran 11 flat, which won't even get you into the high school city finals for Toronto. Johnson is just desperate for attention, and rather pathetic. I guess with track he can only embarass himself, if he were a boxer he could fight a young contender and get his brains scrambled.......

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

WHO WERE THE FINALIST?? I forget. 1988 was a while ago. ARE THEY ALL STILL ALIVE AND WELL???

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied

LOL.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

Ya think?

"Johnson says he'll be running the 100 in about 10.2 seconds this summer, and guys who work out with him say he could break 10 seconds by August."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2003/m ... ohnson.ap/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X