Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hayward Field Gets New Video Displayboard

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/si ... ut=Default

just in time for the Trials - sounds cool!

A conversation long ago...

$$$: "University of Oregon, I'd like you to meet my two friends--Phil Knight & Nike. Hopefully, you guys can become close."

University of Oregon: "Very nice to meet you both. We'll be in touch."

Comment

Only thing left to go, says story on front page today.

Comment

Originally posted by jrun
        A conversation long ago...

$$$: "University of Oregon, I'd like you to meet my two friends--Phil Knight & Nike. Hopefully, you guys can become close."

University of Oregon: "Very nice to meet you both. We'll be in touch."
        Knight's relationship with UO, and indeed running, predates Nike and his personal wealth. The dude loves his alma mater. Nice of him to ship some cheddar to track and field, what with all the basketball arenas, tennis complexes, graduate schools of business, etc. rattling the tin cup.

Comment

The latest on the construction:

http://www.runnerspace.com/video.php?do ... eo_id=1011

Comment

I shudder every time I see one of those go in; means for some great viewing (particularly on replays) but all too often also means that the production team gets too carried away with playing Fellini and forgets that one of its primary uses SHOULD be the impartation of information.

Wouldn't it be great if they could/would actually use to help keep the field events updated? We haven't had that at a major meet in the U.S. since the ’96 OT in Atlanta.

Comment

"In addition to providing such information as event results and lane assignments, the [south-end] scoreboard will have the capability of showing replays, profiles and documentary features..."

At first reading I thought that description excludes the real-time video of a race in progress (what TV viewers might see at home) which enables on-site fans to see action taking place far from their seats. I enjoyed such technology in Europe while watching 1995 Grand Prix meets. And it's been available for years at USA meets in places such as University of Kansas (Lawrence) and U. Of Tennessee (Knoxville).

Then I noticed this extra near the bottom of linked story: "... a temporary videoboard will be added to the north end of Hayward Field."

Good! And here I should add that those big screens in Kansas, Tennessee, and overseas are midway through the second turn that precedes the straightaway to finish line. There the screen gives front-runners a "rear vision effect" to see what's happening behind them. That could encourage front running and consequent race action.

At Hayward Field the north end is the location of that second turn.

Comment

Working...
              X