Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was the moment of the year?

We've done / are doing athlete and performance of the year, what about moment of the year...for example

...the moment Tyson Gay went past Asafa Powell
    ...the moment Christine Ndereba broke away in that brutal race
    ...the moment Andrew Howe lost it...and the moment Irving Saldadino replied

Those instants which define the year, etched forever into memory...what say you?

Justin

I will add a few more ...

the moment that Hall took the now-faster than 5:00 pace and took it to a whole other level.

When Dibaba got back up and chased

When Bekele 1) caught back up and then 2) exploded on someone that was running REALLY fast

When 17 runners hit the same finish line in the Women's 100

When the awkward style of Donald (he's got hops) the HJ got that WC clearance

Gay went screaming down the home straight at Indy and we saw 19.62/-w

When 9.74 became AP's second best race of the day as he finished that race like he has not finished some others (maybe that is the biggest thinng about that race)

When that first real thud indicated that the rest of the SP crew were competing for the other medals

when Adere exploded down the finishing straight and flew past the presumptive winner. (and when the lean decided the mens race that did not seem like it could possibly be eclipsed for excitement at the finish.

When Dix killed the second 100 ... 19...

When that javelin landed out of the sector

And two more extended instants by AF - her 400 relay and 200 finish.

Comment

Re: What was the moment of the year?

Originally posted by Justin Clouder
      the moment Irving Saldadino replied
      I'll go with that.

Comment

Re: What was the moment of the year?

Originally posted by Justin Clouder
        We've done / are doing athlete and performance of the year, what about moment of the year...for example

...the moment Tyson Gay went past Asafa Powell
        ...the moment Christine Ndereba broke away in that brutal race
        ...the moment Andrew Howe lost it...and the moment Irving Saldadino replied

Those instants which define the year, etched forever into memory...what say you?

Justin
        When the young woman in the xc race crawled to the finish with a multiply broken leg.

Comment

Marryin' Jonz

Comment

Originally posted by malmo
            Marryin' Jonz
            My moment of the year also.

Comment

Comment

I'm still waiting for mine :twisted:

Comment

Serious answer (hey, it's Friday night!) would have to be the homestretch of the WC 1500, w/ Lagat winning. This based largely on the fact that T&FN took so much crap for installing him as the favorite in our Osaka Preview.

(aside from that, one of the great Oklahoma land rushes in 1500 history!) (the 800 was almost as great, but the marks snobs don't even know that exists because it was merely a 1:47 race)

Comment

Tightest 800 ever. For American's the finish of the 5000 was pretty spectacular, with Lagat taking the double and Tegenkamp almost making a majority of Americans on the podium.

At a different level of competition, although it makes it pretty far up the US list, was the mark by the Middle School girl 170++ in the Jav. A couple of seconds to redefine the event for US youth. BTW, how many US boys can throw that far at her age (or even in HS, even giving the a boost translating from a heavier implement)? That one was stunning, increasing the record by almost 15%, even Carter's SP did not do that much damage to the record.

Comment

Maybe William Wynne demolishing the WYC 400H field after narrowly averting disaster in the rounds. Carson's JT was quite a moment, too!

Comment

At this moment allow me to interject that this subject actually requires two subsets: those you saw, and those you read about. I suspect that for purely personal reasons, something you saw in person (and/or has first-person attachment) trumps all else.

(As in, I will never see a mile that moves me more than the '70 Pac-10 did)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          At this moment allow me to interject that this subject actually requires two subsets: those you saw, and those you read about. I suspect that for purely personal reasons, something you saw in person (and/or has first-person attachment) trumps all else.

(As in, I will never see a mile that moves me more than the '70 Pac-10 did)
                          If I had to pick one race as the best, it might be Ruth holding off the heavily favored Mary at the Olympic Trials in 1984. Those arms thrust into the air made the cover of T&FN.

Comment

how about the last round throw of Ivan Tsikhan
                            FROM 5th to 1st with a WL...

Comment

- Christine and Nicola getting an unexpected one, two in Osaka, when they weren't really expected to make the final, let alone win medals.
                              - Paula's return
                              - Kluft v Sotherton at the NIA - fantastic entertainment.
                              - Jo Pavey missing out on a bronze in Osaka by inches
                              - Bekele's 7:26 3000m in the freeeeeezing cold and pouring rain in Sheffield
                              - Vili's last round winner in the shot put
                              - Tosa's bronze in the women's marathon in Osaka
                              - Lebedeva's hairstyles
                              - Defar's 14:16 5000m world-record
                              - Mutola DNF'ing in the w800m in Osaka
                              - Heptathlon girls lap of honour
                              http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Working...
                              X