Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuczynski Stats 2007: Bitter/Sweet

Found this on SuhrSports website today: it will be interesting to see how Stuczynski gets ranked by Track and Field News.... she could end up anywhere from 2nd to as low as 5th. The 4.88 and 4.84 are too hard to ignore.

Stuczynski Stats 2007: Bitter/Sweet
    November 17, 2007
    The Sweet:
    - Held the highest outdoor jump in the world for 2 1/2 months (2007)
    - 2 American Records: 15' 10" 1/2 and 16'.
    - Became the #2 All-Time highest vaulter ever in the world
    - Outside of Isinbayeva, Stuczynski had the 2 highest jumps in the world: 4.84 and 4.88
    - First American to clear the milestone of 16'.
    - Fastest women ever to jump 16' in the world: 3yrs 2 months
    - Won her 3rd and 4th U.S. Titles.
    - Finished just 3 cm behind Isinbayeva in outdoor, closest anyone has finished to the Russian since 2003.
    - Had the 3rd best Average Ranking height in the world in 2007 of 4.75m (15' 7").

The Bitter:
    - Injured back, ankle and achilles.
    - Unable to finish 6 out of 7 meets in Europe due to injury.
    - Never jumped in a single Golden League meet against Isinbayeva (a much anticipated rivalry)

We are remaining optimistic that Stuczynski will be recovered and ready for the 2008 Olympic Trials.

Any word on her prognosis?

And how's my Stacy doing?

Anyone? Becca?

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
      Any word on her prognosis?

And how's my Stacy doing?

Anyone? Becca?
      I haven't talked to Stacy since USAs, and she's not big into the internet thing, but I posted the latest article I have seen on her here: http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=13277

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
        I haven't talked to Stacy since USAs, and she's not big into the internet thing, but I posted the latest article I have seen on her
        I told him [Allen Johnson] everybody's counting me out - there's no mention of my name in the mix with the best in the world," Dragila said.
        WHATEVER!!

Comment

There could be US silver & bronze medals in the women's vault - stranger things happen every day!

There is nothing more uplifting in this sport than to see people come back from major injuries & do well, even if they don't medal!

Comment

Re: Stuczynski Stats 2007: Bitter/Sweet

Originally posted by 30yrs-coaching
            Found this on SuhrSports website today: it will be interesting to see how Stuczynski gets ranked by Track and Field News.... she could end up anywhere from 2nd to as low as 5th. The 4.88 and 4.84 are too hard to ignore......
            Marks are very easy to ignore in the T&FN system (at least one athlete has set a WR and not earned a spot in the top 10 in the past).

She could end up not ranked at all. Only 3 appearances internationally: 3rd, =7th, 10th. With zero appearances in Golden League meets in a year in which the wPV was part of the program.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              ...She could end up not ranked at all. ...
              Bring on that controversy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by AS
                Originally posted by gh
                ...She could end up not ranked at all. ...
                Bring on that controversy!!!
                From their site (with my comments in parens):
                The Sweet:
                - Held the highest outdoor jump in the world for 2 1/2 months (2007) (irrelevant)
                - 2 American Records: 15' 10" 1/2 and 16'. (ARs irrelevant, the heights--minor importance)
                - Became the #2 All-Time highest vaulter ever in the world (very minor relevance)
                - Outside of Isinbayeva, Stuczynski had the 2 highest jumps in the world: 4.84 and 4.88 (minor relevance)
                - First American to clear the milestone of 16'. (irrelevant)
                - Fastest women ever to jump 16' in the world: 3yrs 2 months (irrelevant)
                - Won her 3rd and 4th U.S. Titles. (minor relevance, particularly as no other Americans are likely rankers)
                - Finished just 3 cm behind Isinbayeva in outdoor, closest anyone has finished to the Russian since 2003. (very minor relevance)
                - Had the 3rd best Average Ranking height in the world in 2007 of 4.75m (15' 7"). (more important of all factors so far, but still of minor importance)

The Bitter:
                - Injured back, ankle and achilles. (minor relevance, except for the impact on the next two items)
                - Unable to finish 6 out of 7 meets in Europe due to injury. (very important)
                - Never jumped in a single Golden League meet against Isinbayeva (a much anticipated rivalry) (very important)

The problem is that all the Sweets are marks-oriented, and all the Bitters are competition oriented. The most imporant factors in the rankings are who you beat and where you beat them.

Comment

I seem to recall a season when Cantwell was injured during the all-important Euro season and still ranked #1! Admittedly his US comps were more important than Jenn's, but JS NOT-ranked? That just doesn't compute for the arguably 2nd best jumper in the world.

Comment

Cantwell was the World Indoor champion, had a winning record against the No. 2 and totally dominated the yearly list. Stuczynski can make none of those claims. Remotely.

And while you're comparing apples & oranges note that European competition isn't as important in some events as it is in others. If U.S. men's shot putters make up the bulk of those in the Rankings (particularly at the top end), then major domestic competitions take on far more importance. Cantwell met Rankers about 10 times in domestic meets; Stuczynski never did.

You're falling victim to the same trap the IAAF people fell into, thinking that the same set of criteria apply to every event equally, which they don't. Indeed,in same event they can change from year to year.

Comment

I get the feeling you're yanking our chains here a little. I agree that Jennski doesn't rate the #2 spot for '07 on the basis of one jump, but I'm having a hard time swallowing the notion that you can find ten gals to place above her. Isi, Pyrek, Feofanova and probably Badurov√° I'll buy with no argument. But as for the rest ... 4.88 has to count for something against the crowd that routinely tops out at 4.60.

Edit: After checking the '07 wPV top list on the IAAF site, I'm still convinced. Jenn has at least three jumps this season that are higher than the season's bests for any of: Polnova, Golubchikova, Boslak, Shvedova, Howe, Murer, Hingst or Gao. Jenn didn't get to compete much head-to-head with these gals, but when she did in London, she beat everybody but Isinbaeva and Feofanova. I don't think you can drop her out of the top ten and keep a straight face.

Comment

The former IAAF Ranks, which give a ton more credit to marks than we do, managed to find 7 better with no problem.

Comment

Seven is still less than ten.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            The former IAAF Ranks, which give a ton more credit to marks than we do, managed to find 7 better with no problem.
                            These are counting the full calendar year, aren't they? That's gotta be the only way Rogowska still ranks as high as twelvth. She was hurt all summer and only competed like three or four times.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              totally dominated the yearly list.
                              Unfortunately marks count SO little! :wink:

Comment

Working...
                              X