Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Enigmatic m800

I'd LIKE to be a fan of the 800 – I really would. It's right there between two other very interesting events, the 400 and 1500/Mile. But it defies fandom. It obviously doesn't even WANT fans. Why else would it yield such a WC Final this year or avoid good marks like the plague lately? No wonder we want JW to run it. The guys currently there are doing a decidedly shabby job of it (not to denigrate anyone who can follow a 51 with a 53!). Is it the nature of the In-Between beast, neither fish (sprint) nor fowl (distance)?

There was a question of whom we should should install as the early Beijing favorite and the overwhelming favorite was not-Borzakovskiy! But there is no one else who looks better!! What do we make of this MESS??!!

I tried to do a rankings-style analysis of the season, but the top two meets, Osaka and Stuttgart were NOT helpful at all due to how the races unfolded. Only ONE athlete finished in the top 6 of both and that was Laalou, 6th and 4th respectively! Is HE the favorite? I think not.

There were only 5 other meets that qualify as Biggies (by time and entrants) this summer:
    Monaco
    Heusden-Zolder (Webb's only big outing!!)
    Brussels
    Athens
    Rieti

The results are nothing less than indecipherable.

Here's my breakdown, but my order is just as indefensible as anyone else's. Give it a try?

(WC/WAF/other meets)

1. Reed (2/x/2,3,4)
    2. Kamel (x/1/2,2,3)
    3. Mulaudzi (7/2/1,2)
    4. Laalou (6/4/3,4)
    5. Yego (1/x/3)
    6. Borzakovskiy (3/x/1)
    7. Chepkirwok (4/7/5)
    8. Ali (x/3/1,4)
    9. Milkevics (x/8/4,6)
    10. Webb - just cuz I like him

Yes, it's weird. Seb Coe ran 1:41 almost three decades ago. The event was healthy and interesting for some time after that, but it certainly hasn't been lately. Being a cynic, I always assume it's because the incentives are wrong (aka, the money's not right).

Comment

Even though the meets aren't on your list, I think David Rudisha would make the top 10. He's only lost once this season and took impressive wins in Malmo (beating Webb, Heshko, Letei), Lausanne (Borzakovskiy, Kamel, Chepkirwok, Mulaudzi, Laalou, Chehibi etc), Zurich (Rimmer, Robinson) and Brussels (Mulaudzi, Kamel, Ali, Al-Salhi, Borzakovskiy and Yego).
      http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by nevetsllim
        David Rudisha . . . Brussels
        Great win and time there, but did he even break 1:46 in any other meet? Ya gotta show me the MONEY (times), said the Marks Snob.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
          David Rudisha . . . Brussels
          Great win and time there, but did he even break 1:46 in any other meet? Ya gotta show me the MONEY (times), said the Marks Snob.
          1:45.82 in Lausanne (none of the times were great in any of the events), 1:45.51 (albeit not one of the key attractions of the meet) and a 1:44.15 PB in Brussels. (1:45.63 in Doha for 6th as well).

It's about as good as any other 800m runner this year and having Zurich, Brussels and Lausanne wins on your resume as a junior and on his 1st year on the European circuit is pretty impressive and probably would make the lower realms of the top 10.
          http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

1:45.82 in Lausanne (none of the times were great in any of the events), 1:45.51 (albeit not one of the key attractions of the meet) and a 1:44.15 PB in Brussels. (1:45.63 in Doha for 6th as well).
            Then you're right; he does deserve a spot. I was TOO snobby in my initial search!

Comment

And what about Kaki (http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=28590)?

1:43.90 to win Pan-Arab Games (OK, not a big meet)
              Beat your #3 at the African Champs...

Comment

THANK YOU!
                for starting a thread that is about the 800m, and not about 400m runners who hopefully could be 800m runners!
                Hoo-ray!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksf
                  THANK YOU! for starting a thread that is about the 800m, and not about 400m runners who hopefully could be 800m runners!
                  Hoo-ray!!!!
                  Then say something about it!!!! :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksf
                    THANK YOU! for starting a thread that is about the 800m, and not about 400m runners who hopefully could be 800m runners!
                    Hoo-ray!!!!
                    Then say something about it!!!! :twisted:
                    I agree with Jack.

Most events go through cycles and the 800m is in a down cycle in terms of times. It'll recover, they always do, just like house prices. Doesn't lesson my enjoyment of great 800m races one bit.

Comment

The men's 800m is awesome right now!

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
                        Oh, I see I mistakenly put Reed first. He really belongs in 5th! :twisted:

Comment

Reed is awfully good, and mojo's (Canadian) enthusiasm is understandable. But the event still presently being run several seconds slower than 20 years ago. It's sick; it's practically on life-support.

Comment

The only thing making the event "awesome" is that in any given race you don't know who will win. At the top, all of the athletes are even - none are remarkable. Webb stepped in after not having seriously run the event in years and is now right in the mix with the best in the world beating Reed in the process. (of course he should have been running the 8/15 combo all along but that is another thread).

The event hasn't progressed in 25 years. It needs some excitment.

Comment

You're getting closer to where he'll likely end up.

Comment

Working...
                              X