Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isinbaeva blasts Gay and Powell

See http://www.allsport.ru/index.php?id=10150 (yes it’s in English)

Okay … that was pretty tame as blasts go. But the fact that she said it at all, and the fact that she was elected (appointed?) to the IAAF athletes’ commission this summer, got me wondering whether there isn’t something the IAAF can do to encourage the big-gun sprinters to actually face each other more than three times every four years. The hundred is the marquee event of T&F in a lot of respects, and it sure doesn’t do the sport much good when the top dogs get busted for juicing about as frequently as they actually compete against one another.

The quote is this:

I really don’t understand why Asafa Powell and Tyson Gay don’t want to face each other. We must think how to make athletics more popular, and for this the leaders must regularly appear on the same track.
    Can't argue with her there...

Not as sure about this quote though

I really love the Gala! To see everyone with whom you go to the tournaments all year, looking beautiful, well dressed, in civilized clothing – this is simply super!

Comment

So I guess Isi won't mind it when the PTB dictate HER schedule to HER??!! She's speaking out of turn. She needs to let TG & AP figure out what's best for them. She needs to get back to setting WRs. That would help the sport now.

Comment

No, tafnut, she is right.

It would be better for the sport if Gay and Powell raced against each other more regularly. It might mean that athletics made the news during a "down" time rather than only at the Olympics when it will go head to head with other sports.

It would be better if 10000-15000 more people turned up to the Rome GL or the Athens meet or the Paris GL.

It would be better if they both broke the WR in the same race...

Their dodging of each other has so very little to do with racing plans and training programs and everything to do with not reducing their pay packets if they turn out to be the loser (which is perhaps an erroneous assumption anyway)...

Comment

Originally posted by AS
          No, tafnut, she is right. It would be better for the sport if Gay and Powell raced against each other more regularly.
          Oh yes, unquestionably. But that's not the issue here, as you noted yourself. They SHOULD be greatly encouraged to race, but isn't that what a free-market is all about anyway? Pay them and they will come.

Comment

Isi didn't say anything about dictating programmes. She merely voiced the fans' dismay at the duo's reluctance.

I agree that bucks should win out. But I'm not convinced by the maths skills at play here, nor by the motives of the managers.

Comment

Originally posted by AS
              Isi didn't say anything about dictating programmes. She merely voiced the fans' dismay at the duo's reluctance. I agree that bucks should win out. But I'm not convinced by the maths skills at play here, nor by the motives of the managers.
              The "fans' dismay" don't pay the bills, and the managers' motives are also purely financial. (and the math is prefaced with a $-sign as well).

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                Pay them and they will come.
                That's right, they're commercial whores. Anyway, as "blasts" go, the wind reading on this one is ~ 0.01 mm/s.
                Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by AS
                  Isi didn't say anything about dictating programmes. She merely voiced the fans' dismay at the duo's reluctance. I agree that bucks should win out. But I'm not convinced by the maths skills at play here, nor by the motives of the managers.
                  The "fans' dismay" don't pay the bills, and the managers' motives are also purely financial. (and the math is prefaced with a $-sign as well).
                  The fans dismay does not pay the bill 'in the small', but it does 'in the large'.

Comment

I also wonder whether the managers are on a bit of a power trip...

They can use their representation of Gay/Powell to get their other athletes starts in the meet where they offer up Gay or Powell.

They presumably make some decent %s out this process (and attract more athletes to their stable). The threat of pulling Gay/Powell surely carries more weight when it's such an "either/or" scenario (as currently they need to seek out one or the other, but not both (unless one wants to run the rarely scheduled 200m)...

Comment

Originally posted by AS
                      Not as sure about this quote though

To see everyone ...in civilized clothing
                      She's Russian. She obviously meant 'civilian'.

Taf, maybe the guys would earn more if they faced off? Just a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by Mennisco
                        Pay them and they will come.
                        That's right, they're commercial whores. Anyway, as "blasts" go, the wind reading on this one is ~ 0.01 mm/s.
                        Don't shoot the messenger. Hey, I'm an Education Prostitute. I sell my salacious services to the school and then they USE me! :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by AS
                          No, tafnut, she is right. It would be better for the sport if Gay and Powell raced against each other more regularly.
                          Oh yes, unquestionably. But that's not the issue here, as you noted yourself. They SHOULD be greatly encouraged to race, but isn't that what a free-market is all about anyway? Pay them and they will come.
                          they would make more money if they faced each other three to four a year.
                          two years ago the gatlin vs powell rivalry was only on display once and that was at "prefontaine" a non-appearance fee paying meet. last year the agents of gay and powell fail to capitalize on a huge pay day by not having them face off before world championship (another non-appearance fee paying meet). I would think they would make more money by getting 50k-75k three or four times vs. 100k once.

Comment

Originally posted by jumpsman
                            they would make more money if they faced each other three to four a year.....
                            If that were true, they'd do it. That's not the way the financing of track meets works.

Comment

The way financing of these meets work, Isinbayeva should hope they don:t race each other every few weeks. There:d not be enough €uros to go around.

Comment

Working...
                              X