Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moral integrity and solid character are significant and near indispensable components to success in sports generally but track particularly. There will always be athletes of outstanding physical attributes but it is the athlete that has the great physical tools and the great mental and moral constitution that succeed. Great physical talent without mental toughness and moral strength have no more place in the arena of competition than moral giants with impish physiques. So it was, so it will ever be.
    ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
      Strange way to prove one:s innocence:

When police approached the men, Xavier Carter, who was walking with them, began running away and continued despite police requests to stop.
      I suspect he's on some kind of probation in the Baton Rouge case; not an illogical reaction to run like hell even if completely innocent, in the hopes of not getting swept up in somebody else's misadventure.

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan
        Moral integrity and solid character are significant and near indispensable components to success in sports generally but track particularly. There will always be athletes of outstanding physical attributes but it is the athlete that has the great physical tools and the great mental and moral constitution that succeed. Great physical talent without mental toughness and moral strength have no more place in the arena of competition than moral giants with impish physiques. So it was, so it will ever be.
        It would be great if this were true, but too many individuals of dubious moral and mental constitution have succeeded at all levels of sport to allow me to believe.

Comment

X-man really misses the 12-month-a-year structure that being a high school and college football player/track sprinter provided. When he was competing for LSU, he had very little idle time on the weekends and probably spent almost half his weekends traveling with either the football or the track team.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
            X-man really misses the 12-month-a-year structure that being a high school and college football player/track sprinter provided. When he was competing for LSU, he had very little idle time on the weekends and probably spent almost half his weekends traveling with either the football or the track team.
            And yet hasn't he been accompanied by current members of the LSU or UF teams during each of his "adventures"?

I'm only 31, but I can't think of a time in my life when I had more free time than in college.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
              And yet hasn't he been accompanied by current members of the LSU or UF teams during each of his "adventures"?
              He's been accompanied by LSU and UF knuckleheads during his adventures. Two of the LSU knuckleheads are no longer on the team. I don't know what you do, but there are very few people who have more idle time than professional track & field stars, including college athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                I suspect he's on some kind of probation in the Baton Rouge case; not an illogical reaction to run like hell even if completely innocent, in the hopes of not getting swept up in somebody else's misadventure.
                Did he think he could outrun a police car?

Comment

He's been accompanied by LSU and UF knuckleheads during his adventures. Two of the LSU knuckleheads are no longer on the team. I don't know what you do, but there are very few people who have more idle time than professional track & field stars, including college athletes.
                  My point is that if someone's a knucklehead, the theoretical time demands of being a collegiate athlete are not going to prevent that trait from showing itself.

I realize that professional t&f athletes are brimming with free time, but I reject the idea that the life of a collegiate athlete is so filled with mandatory duties. Were X still an LSU athlete, aren't the odds that he would have been hanging with the same football crowd in BR with whom he had his initial troubles pretty high?

Comment

My point is that if someone's a knucklehead, the theoretical time demands of being a collegiate athlete are not going to prevent that trait from showing itself.

I realize that professional t&f athletes are brimming with free time, but I reject the idea that the life of a collegiate athlete is so filled with mandatory duties. Were X still an LSU athlete, aren't the odds that he would have been hanging with the same football crowd in BR with whom he had his initial troubles pretty high?
                    Most of the stuff that X-man has gotten into has happened on the weekends. For away games, the team typically leaves town on Friday morning and don't return until the wee hours of Sunday morning. For home games the team is typically on lockdown in a hotel 20 miles outside of Baton Rouge from Friday afternoon until it's time to go to the game. For away track meets, the team typically leaves town a day or two before the meet and returns the day after the meet, which means they're never in town on Friday or Saturday night. And in Baton Rouge bars are closed on Sunday. Furthermore, even athletes who aren't motivated academically are going to do the bare minimum school work in order to keep themselves eligible. And if they do start slipping in the classroom, most coaches will start disciplining them before it's too late and athletes don't like being hounded by their coaches.

Comment

I realize this might be hard to implement but one solution could be to make a minimal moral conduct criteria necessary for representing the country.

No need to get really strict and hyper scrutinize athletes but letting the athlete know that their personal conduct could be a disqualifier could help them to walk a little straighter. Some of these guys are either very dumb or genuine reprobates.

Question: What athletes from the past had criminal backgrounds before gaining their medal?... I cant think of any but Hary (WR100m) more than a few years after his OLYgold was found guilty in a mulitmillion dollar fraud/scam, an offense that makes the present LSU buffoonery and jackassery seem quaint.
                      ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Most of the stuff that X-man has gotten into has happened on the weekends.
                        And yet other members who were, at the time, members of their university's football team, were with Carter.

1) Hood jumping incident -- 9/1/07, a Saturday, when LSU had played on the previous Thursday. Was accompanied by an LSU player who had just had a team suspension lifted.

2) Carter as bystander at fight at nightclub involving Ryan Perrilloux -- LSU bye week, with 15-20 other players present.

3) Latest shenanigans -- Current member of Florida FB team with Carter.

With the exception of Carter theoretically being at the SEC championship game in #3, being an active member of the team would not have precluded him from participating or being a bystander at any of the incidents, as he was accompanied by current UF or LSU athletes.

Comment

KevinM, I have two question for you:

1) Why do you think that X-man has had all of these issues since Phil Knight set him up for life and he left the LSU football and track teams?

2) Why do you think that in 2006, X-man was a beast from January through July winning practically every award available, but in 2007 he struggled just to get in shape before injuring himself in Indianapolis?

Comment

Do we really know that Nike "set him up for life"?

Comment

Contract details have not been revealed, hence there:d be little possibility to know if Nike set him up for life.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                                Do we really know that Nike "set him up for life"?
                                I spoke with someone who saw the contract and though this person wouldn't give me any numbers, this person did say that unless he spent his money foolishly, he'd be set for life. Then there were these comments from an article earlier this year:
                                He is still enrolled at LSU and plans to graduate with a degree in kinesiology and sports medicine despite signing an endorsement deal with Nike that pays him similar to what NFL first-round draft picks make.
                                "Sometimes it's hard for me to really want to go to class when I don't have to, but I promised my mom I was going to graduate when I decided to go pro," Carter said.
                                "It got to a point when it really would have been a mistake for him not to go, for the type of contract that he was being offered," Shaver said.
                                Here's the link:
                                http://www.lsureveille.com/home/index.c ... 3fe7ae9fa5

Comment

Working...
                                X