Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Column on Marion

The alt-weekly newspaper for which I write has just started a new sports column, and this week's is on Marion: http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase ... oid:565882

(FYI, Marion apparently lives here in Austin now.)
    "Run fast and keep turning left."

I know it's alternative but do Austin columnists regularly use the s' word?
    The IAAF got the medals back, but 700k in prize money? I don't think so.

Comment

Well, we try not to be gratuitous about it, but yes, we're not quite as uptight about profanities as mainstream papers.

Yeah, I'm thinking the IAAF's request for the $700,000 is more for legal reasons; I doubt they're under any illusions that they'll actually get it.

I have to wonder what neighborhood she lives in. I can't imagine she's living in a very fancy house, unless it was bought with Obadele's money.
      "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

The big "Z" search and some elbow grease will help you solve that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Friar
          I know it's alternative but do Austin columnists regularly use the s' word?
          The IAAF got the medals back, but 700k in prize money? I don't think so.
          the s word ?!!!!?? i had to go and read the column to find out what you meant :? you wouldn;t last long here where papers regularly use 'the c word' :shock: :shock:
          i deserve extra credit

Comment

I hear you. I've never seen it in a mainstream paper. The author said he profiled Marion for the NYTimes and there is no chance it would appear there. The Village Voice and the Boston Phoenix are another matter.

Comment

Originally posted by trackstar
              I have to wonder what neighborhood she lives in. I can't imagine she's living in a very fancy house, unless it was bought with Obadele's money.
              I think someone mentioned in a previous thread (which I don't have time to hunt for) that they are living in a modest house.

Comment

I have to agree with the columnist. Apart from Torri Edwards, Marion Jones is the rudest athlete I've ever had the misfortune to encounter.

"Don't touch me" indeed. :roll:

Comment

I buttonholed Marion on a plane out of the blue once and she was nothing but over-the-top charming (Mr. Hunter on the other hand, looked as if he wanted to toss me out the hatch for intruding on his first-class space).

My point? On a one-time meeting, it's hard to make sweeping generalizations. It's easy for him to write this piece now that Marion is a fallen angel; otherwise, it's a non-starter as a story.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    It's easy for him to write this piece now that Marion is a fallen angel; otherwise, it's a non-starter as a story.
                    Yeah, I'm a Big Fan of the kick-em-while-they're-down school of journalism. :roll:

Comment

I agree. Jones could be kind of a jerk but it could be Hackett who's kind of a jerk. The jury is definitely out on that one.

Comment

Sorry but that is quite a useless article.

How was she rude? :?:
                        (and I don't doubt she probably was but without any details the article is pointless).

I have asked a few top athletes over the years what they thought of Marion and the words "phony" and "two faced" were frequently used adjectives.

Comment

As I've mentioned before I've come across MJ a few times behind the scenes at meets; it was very obvious to me that she is a very unpleasant woman. I have no problem with a journalist writing retrospecively about his meeting with a fallen star, especially one whose image, on which she made a lot of money, was completely fraudulent.

Barry Bond's unpleasantness has been reported many times by the press, whereas to the public, he's often a charmer. What's the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
                            Barry Bond's unpleasantness has been reported many times by the press, whereas to the public, he's often a charmer. What's the difference?
                            People don't like to face the fact that a "golden girl" can be a bitch. There is to this day a protectiveness towards Marion that I don't get but I do think sexism is part of it. (and that is not something I throw around lightly).

I know I have said that before and few agree with me. :x

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
                              Uh, when?? The only time I've seen him act nice is when he is speaking to the Pac Bell crowd after some major milestone ("I did it for the fans of SF"). The reports I've heard from smaller groups or one on ones is almost all negative.

Comment

Working...
                              X